PDA

View Full Version : Can i get an ISP service of another country?

shishio64
09-20-2007, 05:39 PM
All ISP services are very crappy where i live both in down/up speed and in down/up speed ratio (the best service here is 6Mbit download with 600kbit upload and its quite pricey too). so i was wondering if there is a possibility for me to acquire the service of an ISP of another country or an international ISP (if such a thing exists), or am i better off with purchasing a dedicated server/seedbox? sorry if im mixing a lot of irrelevant things together, im still new to this stuff...

Thanks

blackbird
09-20-2007, 06:15 PM
like a satellite broadband ?? :idunno:

huqiming
09-20-2007, 06:21 PM
sorry, i misunderstood the question ...

PirateEagle
09-20-2007, 06:22 PM
like a satellite broadband ??
yup it is a very good net my friend own it and it is a very fast internet bit the equimpent cost a lot and if you wanna good satellite broadband provider use Astra net :)

shishio64
09-20-2007, 06:54 PM
like a satellite broadband ??
yup it is a very good net my friend own it and it is a very fast internet bit the equimpent cost a lot and if you wanna good satellite broadband provider use Astra net :)

would it work well if im living in the middle east? and do they provide both the internet service and the modem,wiring, satellite etc.?
is there another alternative apart from satellite?

briand5379
09-20-2007, 07:23 PM
Satellite broadband now that's an interesting idea. Unfortunately you can only get astra-net if you live in 1 of 3 countries.

shishio64
09-20-2007, 08:40 PM
Astra doesnt seem like a practical solution, it probably doesnt work where i live and in any case, from what i understand it uses your current ISP to deliver their service, but when your ISP limits your speeds it doesnt realy help....
Also i dont even know whats the down/up speeds Astra offers.
is there any other (practical) solution you can offer?

Daniel
09-21-2007, 12:56 AM
First off, the only way to use an international or foreign service to connect to or use on the Internet is via satellite. DSL, Cable and standard dialup access are all bound to national and local owners therefore your choice is limited.

Well, ordering and using a satellite internet offer from another country can work if you are inside the satellite broadcast range. A friend of mine did that a few years ago as there were no such offers in Austria yet and despite the prize, he has been happy about it.

But that aside, you'll probably never be satisfied enough with those offers (assuming you're living somewhere in Europe) because they are rather expensive (i.e. 1MBit/s = 30 €). The cheapest offer I know is skyDSL with an offer of 50 € for a 4MBit/s Flatrate (plus an option for 24MBit/s with additional transfer fees).

If you think this over, your local ISP with the 6144/600 offer might just be the best solution because you're also saving yourself some trouble.

Depending on what your goals are, you might just want to rent a seedbox or try Usenet access if you have trouble keeping ratios.

SiNa
09-21-2007, 01:36 AM
can you get the same service like astra in the middle east?? i heard about satellite internet, but its super expensive. i would like a price range around 50-60 euros. i hope anyone can help. thanks

shishio64 (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../members/shishio64-179858) - sorry for entering your thread like this

Degenx
09-21-2007, 01:47 AM
Your better off getting a dedicated server/seedbox. However to transfer the files (download them to your computer) all depends on your isp download speed.

SiNa
09-21-2007, 01:52 AM
Your better off getting a dedicated server/seedbox. However to transfer the files (download them to your computer) all depends on your isp download speed.

well i want to change my isp download speed here. so seedbox is of no use

Daniel
09-21-2007, 02:39 AM
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/9453/9000x1024kam22lr3.th.gif (http://img232.imageshack.us/my.php?image=9000x1024kam22lr3.gif)
This is the reception-range for Astra satellite Internet.

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/747/ab2eurtxzn9.th.jpg (http://img98.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ab2eurtxzn9.jpg) http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/6463/ab2sttxgx8.th.jpg (http://img516.imageshack.us/my.php?image=ab2sttxgx8.jpg)
The reception-range for Eutelsat (Atlantic Bird & 2)

skyDSL for example provides a hardware packet (PCI-card & sat-dish) but that might cost extra, I don't know.

briand5379
09-21-2007, 06:50 AM
I looked at a few sites and the speed isn't that great either.

shishio64
09-21-2007, 10:13 AM
First off, the only way to use an international or foreign service to connect to or use on the Internet is via satellite. DSL, Cable and standard dialup access are all bound to national and local owners therefore your choice is limited.

Well, ordering and using a satellite internet offer from another country can work if you are inside the satellite broadcast range. A friend of mine did that a few years ago as there were no such offers in Austria yet and despite the prize, he has been happy about it.

But that aside, you'll probably never be satisfied enough with those offers (assuming you're living somewhere in Europe) because they are rather expensive (i.e. 1MBit/s = 30 €). The cheapest offer I know is skyDSL with an offer of 50 € for a 4MBit/s Flatrate (plus an option for 24MBit/s with additional transfer fees).

If you think this over, your local ISP with the 6144/600 offer might just be the best solution because you're also saving yourself some trouble.

Depending on what your goals are, you might just want to rent a seedbox or try Usenet access if you have trouble keeping ratios.

you are right... i looked up the satellite companys mentioned in this thread and their prices are super expensieve for services that are even more lame than what is available in my country. in addition they only allow a one way internet connection through satellite (only download) and the upload is still made through your local isp (from what i understand). my main goal is to (greatly) increase upload speed rather than download speed, so satellite is not a solution for me...

now regarding seedboxes, i didnt quite understand how it works? do i download stuff to my seedbox/server in their speeds and than transfer it to my hdd in my isp speeds and share it from my hdd using my isp upload speed? or can i download stuff to my seedbox/server and share it through a bittorent client directly from the seedbox/server in the seedbox's/server's speeds?

JazzyJeff
09-21-2007, 10:34 AM
You download whatever to your seedbox and "seed" it from there of course.

bblogs
09-21-2007, 10:39 AM
I'm on satellite and there's nothing excellent about it.....20kb/s max upload for me :(

Not to mention that I can't get connectable

Daniel
09-21-2007, 10:42 AM
A seedbox is your own server somewhere on the internet usually with a 10/10 or 100/100 MBit/s connection where you can run a BitTorrent client. There are of course limitations like free harddisk space (on virtual servers this might become a problem) or traffic limits per month (depending on the rented box you'll have limits of several hundred GB's or maybe 1-2 TB's, more traffic generally costs more).

But there are already hundreds of threads on that topic, I believe you'll find plenty with the keyword seedbox :)

Oh and before I forget it, there do exist satellite internet connections with uplink also. Well, I know one that's already open for the public, its name is Tooway (http://www.tooway.net/about-tooway.html). As you can see though, the available packages are not nearly enough to be satisfying, not counting the high setup costs (400 €).

Daniel
09-21-2007, 10:44 AM
A seedbox is your own server somewhere on the internet usually with a 10/10 or 100/100 MBit/s connection where you can run a BitTorrent client. There are of course limitations like free harddisk space (on virtual servers this might become a problem) or traffic limits per month (depending on the rented box you'll have limits of several hundred GB's or maybe 1-2 TB's, more traffic generally costs more).

But there are already hundreds of threads on that topic, I believe you'll find plenty with the keyword seedbox :)

Oh and before I forget it, there do exist satellite internet connections with uplink also. Well, I know one that's already open for the public, its name is Tooway (http://www.tooway.net/about-tooway.html). As you can see though, the available packages are not nearly enough to be satisfying, not counting the high setup costs (400 €).

Daniel
09-21-2007, 10:45 AM

Daniel
09-21-2007, 10:51 AM

AugustoP
09-21-2007, 10:53 AM
You can't upload through satellite connection, so don't bother. Just get a seedbox.

Daniel
09-21-2007, 10:54 AM

shishio64
09-21-2007, 11:29 AM
well, i get the point - I need a seedbox if i want to increase my down/up speeds and maintain a good ratio in private trackers.... but does a seedbox can be used as a substitute for an isp or in conjunction with one? can it be used for more than just transfering data, like browsing the internet and stuff?

Daniel
09-21-2007, 12:56 PM
The speed of your home connection is in no way affected by a seedbox. This expense grants you the possibility to remotely upload with very fast speeds - plus you can download directly from your seedbox as well.

SiNa
09-21-2007, 12:59 PM
The speed of your home connection is in no way affected by a seedbox. This expense grants you the possibility to remotely upload with very fast speeds - plus you can download directly from your seedbox as well.

but its of no use except to have a good ratio on your tracker. you will have to download it AGAIN from your own isp download speed, which sucks.

AugustoP
09-21-2007, 01:08 PM
You can't upload with satellite connection so don't even bother checking prices and coverage.

Daniel
09-21-2007, 01:15 PM
but its of no use except to have a good ratio on your tracker. you will have to download it AGAIN from your own isp download speed, which sucks.
Right. But that all depends on your current connection speed, doesn't it? Take me for example, I have a 4096/512 dsl connection at home and I'd never need more than that because half of what I download gets deleted after a few days anyway. Edit: what I was trying to say is simply, that some connections have an okay downstream bandwidth but crappy upstream. One colleague of mine uses a local cable company for his internet access and he's got 2048/128 which is all kinds of wrong for BitTorrent or any other peer2peer network but it works for downloading without the need to share (which is Usenet in his case).

If that is true for you too, then Usenet might be a good idea too. The access is cheaper than any (good) seedbox you'll find and the companies of interest offer download flats. What little you don't find on newsservers you can easily download from some tracker.

You can't upload with satellite connection so don't even bother checking prices and coverage.
Is that a technical issue (if so, tell us about it because I have no experience with sat uplink) or are you just discouraging it because the offers are so bad compared to other methods?

SiNa
09-21-2007, 02:07 PM

isnt this satelite connection: http://www.starband.com/services/ultimate.html

i have seen many others too. but they are way too expensive.

Right. But that all depends on your current connection speed, doesn't it? Take me for example, I have a 4096/512 dsl connection at home and I'd never need more than that because half of what I download gets deleted after a few days anyway. Edit: what I was trying to say is simply, that some connections have an okay downstream bandwidth but crappy upstream. One colleague of mine uses a local cable company for his internet access and he's got 2048/128 which is all kinds of wrong for BitTorrent or any other peer2peer network but it works for downloading without the need to share (which is Usenet in his case).

well maybe for you its good and you are willing to pay just to get a good ratio on a tracker. but for me and probably shishio64 i/we need to change the whole thing. upload and download. cause what i get here is not reasonable. and i do not have a fast download speed so seedbox is pretty useless.

sear
09-21-2007, 02:29 PM
I'm on satellite and there's nothing excellent about it.....20kb/s max upload for me :(

Not to mention that I can't get connectable

do you live in the bush?

briand5379
09-22-2007, 02:38 AM
Satellite speeds aren't very fast from what I've seen your looking at 1.5mbps dl and 256kbps ul. There also very expensive running around $80 a month and then you have equipment and installation fees. If you have no alternative then there you go.

AugustoP
09-23-2007, 09:23 AM
Is that a technical issue (if so, tell us about it because I have no experience with sat uplink) or are you just discouraging it because the offers are so bad compared to other methods?

It's technical, you can't transmit anything to satellite from your dish. That's how it works. You send requests using another connection (DSL, GPRS etc) to a proxy server and then response is sent from the satellite.

doda32
09-23-2007, 11:40 AM

It's technical, you can't transmit anything to satellite from your dish. That's how it works. You send requests using another connection (DSL, GPRS etc) to a proxy server and then response is sent from the satellite.

That's right, you can't transmit with that satellite dish, you can only download with it, so you still need a telephone line for the upload, so satellite internet is not an option for you, unfortunately

Maybe a 3G connection through a mobile provider, but it will be too expensive and it requires 3G coverage in your area

So the best option is a seedbox..

Daniel
09-23-2007, 01:11 PM
That's actually wrong. Internet access with a direct satellite uplink does exist for consumers (as I've linked to previously), my question was concerning the ability to use p2p programs via sat Internet. But that aside, the available speeds are considerably slower than most terrestrial broadband Internet so it's not an issue of a faster alternative but as a last choice.

AugustoP
09-23-2007, 01:19 PM
That's actually wrong. Internet access with a direct satellite uplink does exist for consumers (as I've linked to previously), my question was concerning the ability to use p2p programs via sat Internet. But that aside, the available speeds are considerably slower than most terrestrial broadband Internet so it's not an issue of a faster alternative but as a last choice.

It wasn't possible with a satellite connection I was talking about (troubles with port forwarding) but I guess it's possible with the connection you gave a link to which has upload capabilities as well.

briand5379
09-23-2007, 04:32 PM
I would think you could still use p2p but your looking at extremely slow speeds and as far as connectability I'm not sure if or not you'd be connectable you'd have to call the company and ask.

shishio64
09-26-2007, 09:15 AM

That's right, you can't transmit with that satellite dish, you can only download with it, so you still need a telephone line for the upload, so satellite internet is not an option for you, unfortunately

Maybe a 3G connection through a mobile provider, but it will be too expensive and it requires 3G coverage in your area

So the best option is a seedbox..

but a seedbox is just for the purpose of downloading/uploading stuff, but if i want ,lets say, to play online in halo3 on my xbox360 (which i dont have btw) and be able to play without lags, i need a good upload speed but a seedbox is irrelevent in this case...
what can i do then?

4play
09-26-2007, 10:06 AM
I thought game play really needed decent latency rather than high throughput like your suggesting. 600kbits a second seems plenty for playing xbox online as far as i know.

face it your best bet is to take the 50 euros your were talking about and investing it in the most expensive package you can buy from the isp's around your way. sometimes the business packages are worth it.

a seedbox can be used as a transparent proxy if you really want to but since your still limited by your home connections upload then it is useless for gaming.

edit

The minimum upload speed for Xbox Live is 64kbs

seems you would be more than fine with that upload speed.

shishio64
09-26-2007, 12:30 PM
I thought game play really needed decent latency rather than high throughput like your suggesting. 600kbits a second seems plenty for playing xbox online as far as i know.

face it your best bet is to take the 50 euros your were talking about and investing it in the most expensive package you can buy from the isp's around your way. sometimes the business packages are worth it.

a seedbox can be used as a transparent proxy if you really want to but since your still limited by your home connections upload then it is useless for gaming.

edit

The minimum upload speed for Xbox Live is 64kbsseems you would be more than fine with that upload speed.

but since i live in israel and playing with ppl from the US and Europe, then from what little i know, i need to compensate on the horrible latencies with a much better upload speed than 600kbit/s (correct me if im wrong). right now i have a 256kbit/s upload speed and the xbox live experience is realy horrible and frustrating most of the time, because of lags (in halo2 for example, the ping bar thingy next to my name is usually red, yellow or low green, but it NEVER reaches a full green bar). is there a way to improve connection latency rather than upload speed?

and btw I never mentioned any 50 euros... (or did I? :blink:)