PDA

View Full Version : Wepage Creation

The Smoking Man
07-07-2003, 10:16 PM
I hear there is an app that shows you the html code you create with a GUI that helps people new to web design.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Illuminati
07-07-2003, 10:22 PM
There's a few around - They're known as 'Graphical HTML authoring software' (or a variation)

The two most popular are Microsoft FrontPage and Macromedia Dreamweaver. For the total newbie, use Microsoft FrontPage - it's the easiest of the two to learn with.

After a while though, you should be bored with it (mainly because you can't do that much with it) - Switch to Dreamweaver, a more powerful but more technical designer instead.

Hope that helps :D

chalkmongoose
07-07-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by The Smoking Man@7 July 2003 - 22:16
I hear there is an app that shows you the html code you create with a GUI that helps people new to web design.

Any ideas?

Cheers
No such thing.
You are trying to do two things at once.
First of all, you want to display raw HTML code, like the stuff generated when you view source on this page.
Then you want to display the result, the stuff you see before you when you click a link or type in a URL.
You can do it, but not in one big mush-pot.

Or, actually, how could I forget Frontpage? That piece of crap from Microsoft will gladly do it. They generate the page, and then shove the tags in front of every element the tags represent. The result is awful, ugly, and may scare you away from HTML for life. I think a program called Hotmetal Pro also did this, actually I'm sure of it...

Illuminati
07-07-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by chalkmongoose@7 July 2003 - 23:26
No such thing.
You are trying to do two things at once.
First of all, you want to display raw HTML code, like the stuff generated when you view source on this page.
Then you want to display the result, the stuff you see before you when you click a link or type in a URL.
You can do it, but not in one big mush-pot.
Tut tut tut - You seem to forget that Dreamweaver has a view which devotes half of the screen to each the graphical layout and the code of a web page :D

Wolfmight
07-08-2003, 12:30 AM
Front Page XP is pretty good for newbs

Rip The Jacker
07-08-2003, 03:10 AM
Yea, Microsoft Frontpage is pretty easy to use.

Wolfmight
07-08-2003, 03:15 AM
Geocities is another good idea

Xilo
07-08-2003, 03:19 AM
Notepad is the best html editor...

Wolfmight
07-08-2003, 03:20 AM
Originally posted by Xilo@7 July 2003 - 21:19
old skool

I.am
07-08-2003, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by Wolfmight@7 July 2003 - 22:15
Geocities is another good idea
geocities? Its a website hosting free and yes they have html creator for you. But I wonder if thats what he really wants. A page put up there by some automated website or else he wants to learns how to do it and acutally make them.

@The Smoking Man, If you really want to learn fast and want something handy, Go with Frontpage and Dreamweaver! I agree with Illuminati & Wolfmight

I.am
07-08-2003, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by Wolfmight+7 July 2003 - 22:20--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Wolfmight @ 7 July 2003 - 22:20)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Xilo@7 July 2003 - 21:19
old skool [/b][/quote]
Oh Yeah&#33; :D Get as far from notepad as you can :lol:

The Smoking Man
07-08-2003, 09:46 AM
Cheers all for the advice - will go and try to find the software now......

Ynhockey
07-08-2003, 10:20 AM
Maybe you could try Homestead Site Builder... but it really sucks, the only good thing about it is that it can do ASP/PHP/CGI (not sure which) stuff too, and it&#39;s really easy to use, but you can&#39;t do much with it and you can only use it to make your Homestead site.

As for normal editing, Dreamweaver is the best (just like you want, it has a GUI, lots of options, etc.), but i personally prefer Notepad or UltraEdit. Notepad is simple, which is great, UltraEdit has a whole lot of useful options but almost as many useless (and often annoying) ones, that&#39;s why i prefer Notepad between the two.

uNz[i]
07-08-2003, 02:23 PM
Oh Yeah&#33;&nbsp; :D&nbsp; Get as far from notepad as you can :lol:
Why? Notepad does exactly what I want it to do - with no code bloat like you get with WYSIWYG editors.

Frontpage is a propriatry editor from M&#036;, and as such, it&#39;s webpages only work properly when viewed with IE.

What you build in Frontpage isn&#39;t necessarily what you end up with when you view your website in other browsers like Opera and Netscape/Mozilla.

Tables, borders, images and page layout can all do unexpected things, depending on which browser you&#39;re using.

I found the best way is to make your basic template with Frontpage or Dreamweaver and then clean out all the bloat with Notepad and code in any extras yourself.

Always make sure to test your webpages in as many brands of browser as you can get your hot lil hands on.

But my best advice is to learn basic html... It&#39;s the most basic programming language there is.
There&#39;s loads of tutorials to be found with a Google search, and it takes very little time to learn.

(edit: typos and rephrasing)

Illuminati
07-08-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Justsomeguy@8 July 2003 - 15:23
with no code bloat like you get with WYSIWYG editors.

I found the best way is to make your basic template with Frontpage or Dreamweaver and then clean out all the bloat with Notepad and code in any extras yourself.

Always make sure to test your webpages in as many brands of browser as you can get your hot lil hands on.

But my best advice is to learn basic html... It&#39;s the most basic programming language there is.
:blink: Exactly which WYSIWYG editors did you try to come to that conclusion? :huh:

Frontpage has too much &#39;written by&#39; crap in the code of its pages, I agree with that - Hell, there&#39;s programs available which automatically take it out of written sites.

Macromedia, however, seem to have some morals on that kind of stuff - I regularly review the code which my pages are written in and I&#39;ve yet to see any such credit-code included in those pages - AFAIK, Dreamweaver doesn&#39;t do that stuff and it&#39;s a reason why its so popular to the non-newbies (amongst others :D). I might be oblivious to it though so feel free to give me evidence of where it is if I&#39;m wrong.

Me thinks you&#39;ve tried Frontpage, seen the bloat-code and have assumed that all such editors do the same. Watch it - Generalisations can give serious consequences <_<

I.am
07-09-2003, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by Justsomeguy@8 July 2003 - 09:23
[QUOTE]
Why? Notepad does exactly what I want it to do - with no code bloat like you get with WYSIWYG editors.

Frontpage is a propriatry editor from M&#036;, and as such, it&#39;s webpages only work properly when viewed with IE.

What you build in Frontpage isn&#39;t necessarily what you end up with when you view your website in other browsers like Opera and Netscape/Mozilla.

Tables, borders, images and page layout can all do unexpected things, depending on which browser you&#39;re using.

There&#39;s loads of tutorials to be found with a Google search, and it takes very little time to learn.

(edit: typos and rephrasing)
Yup it does add some extra useless code. But like Illuminati said what are the basis for the generalization to all the editors.

Dreamweaver as far is the best. Infact there is an option in Dreamweaver that checks the accessiblity in all the browsers you want. Ofcourse you cant do all that stuff in notepad unless you like to go on free sites to do all those things - if you are pro you need to take care of accessiblity issue. There are several such advantages you can think of in Dreamweaver. I am sure you must have tried but surprised you still like notepad. Its for total newbies how just learnt how to write html code and save it as htm or html. For quick & better page designing dreamweaver is still best. And For tables and everything I make a CSS so no matter what browser it is it fits right in. Frontpage somehow comes handy in small code editing infact dreamweaver works fine as well.

But you are right&#33; One should really know basic & some adanvanced html before switching to easy webpage creation editors.