PDA

View Full Version : the "banned without a reason" issue

Polarbear
09-24-2007, 08:34 AM
i keep reading, that members get banned on trackers "without any reason".
i can really imagine that this is quite frustrating and makes you very angry.

so i asked myself some questions:

is it really true that some tracker don't give you a reason, when they ban you?
isn't the least that staff could do to tell you: "your account has been disabled, because ..."
do staff members earn respect from their "bosses" when they find bad users and ban them? (in a sense of: "this staff member is a devoted hardliner - he does a brilliant job in protecting our tracker.")
are we sometimes a little gleeful if somebody is banned from a rare tracker that we are a oh so proud member of?

OR

are these people just talking bullshit because they fucked up on the tracker and want their account back?

Beenieman
09-24-2007, 08:21 PM
Well it just so happends I logged into my account over at Bitmetv tonight and discovered it to be disabled!

I'm pissed off about it because they havent said why, it can't be my ratio because I had a large buffer and it aint lack of activity because I just recently done the latest Heroes and seeded for min 48hours so I havent a clue. Only thing I did different today was swap from XP to Vista.

Wonder which nice person I need to ask around here to find out why :shifty:

briand5379
09-24-2007, 10:36 PM
I think there's some bs going on but I also think there's alot of truth involved. So it goes both ways. I can tell you if I was a member of a site such as BMTV or whatever and came on to find out they banned me cause someone invited someone who broke the rules I'd be a little pissed too.

Beenieman
09-24-2007, 10:46 PM
Well I've heard of collactral damage but they do take the pee when disabling a whole tree based on one persons actions, especially since it's one account per lifetime so it don't make it very fair for the innocent ones who get disabled within that tree of invites.

seanbee
09-24-2007, 11:08 PM
It seems these horror stories have been very prominent these days. My stance though has always been that individuals know what they are getting into before hand when they elect to join a tracker but that is not to say that some amount of decency can't be exercised by the tracker.

It appears evident though that adjustments may need to be made by BitMeTv in the way they apply the iron hand.

I sincerely hope that some good soul in BMTV has been reading these stories and will at least take note of them and where applicable seek to make the necessary changes to promote a fair balance of respecting your members while at the same time protecting your tracker.

briand5379
09-24-2007, 11:20 PM
Everyone makes mistakes and that's something that should be recognized by the staff.

rvt
09-25-2007, 12:03 AM
isn't the least that staff could do to tell you: "your account has been disabled, because ..."

The only way to do that would be either to not ban the person and send them a PM instead, or ban them and email.
The first is otherwise known as a warning. Having a banning policy that includes not actually banning someone would be a bit pointless.
The second wont work, because if you've pissed of a staff member enough to be banned they are not going to take time out to write you an email.
I'd specifically recommend against staffers sending emails to banned members unless they know their email service is totally anonymous. The last thing they want is to hand their IP to someone wth a grudge.

TheFoX
09-25-2007, 12:03 AM
Don't forget that staff from all the communities talk to each other. At TPG they even have a comm staff area for torrent staff to discuss such issues.

A case to note that happened about two years ago, when a certain cretin told the owner of a tracker that he had reported him to the MPAA. He even provided a copy of the email he sent, detailing torrents etc.

What happened?

Later that day, the cretin discovered that all his accounts at all his favourite haunts were disabled. He asked why, and was told he was considered a danger to torrent communities due to his threats against one community.

See how the word spreads. Flame the staff at one community, and you risk losing more than that single account.

Anyone who thinks that each community is segregated, is a fool.

0Ri0N
09-25-2007, 12:04 AM
Everyone makes mistakes and that's something that should be recognized by the staff.

Some staff members don't care if they are wrong or not, they have suspections, they ban, and don't even think try to defend yourself cause you will be banned from IRC. There are great staff members tho. I already was in both sides.

briand5379
09-25-2007, 12:41 AM
Well we can't all be perfect like those staff members. Perhaps the world should be relieved of people who aren't like them.

SAM
09-25-2007, 01:15 AM
i guess in the most cases ;they won't ban anyone for no reason
any decent staff in any popluar tracker will invisitgate and be certain when they go and ban a member.
but sometimes they do mistakes or mislead by false information
it's up to the member to try to clear his sitution and get his account back if he really cares
on the other hand ;you can find some staff ban people for suspicion or without inquiry or just ban a member cause they don't like him.
every staff has bad people and good people but there is an exception for every rules
any way as i said before
the tracker isn't belong only to its owners but to its members
the site which doesn't respect his members no one will respect its rules and it will go down for sure.
some high level trackers' staff don't get it
it's isn't about their speed or their content it's about their community and you won't find a good community with a bad staff

extinguisher
09-25-2007, 01:31 AM
the site which doesn't respect his members no one will respect its rules and it will go down for sure.

that's not true. people on fst have been bitching about bitmetv staff for over a year now, and no changes have been made. the tracker doesn't seem any less popular and people still want an account there. donations are still coming in and new people are signing up everyday.

simply put, you're one person out of 20,000. you and 99% of the people who are banned are a nobody, and really don't make any difference in the grand scheme of things.

Beenieman
09-25-2007, 01:36 AM
maybe rvt could check for me why I was banned? I've done nothing wrong to my knowledge so it would be nice to know. My username is GBeannie

briand5379
09-25-2007, 01:58 AM
Then perhaps the members of here should ban together and do something about it. Perhaps if you boycott them long enough they'll either give in or go out of business.

SAM
09-25-2007, 02:05 AM

that's not true. people on fst have been bitching about bitmetv staff for over a year now, and no changes have been made. the tracker doesn't seem any less popular and people still want an account there. donations are still coming in and new people are signing up everyday.

simply put, you're one person out of 20,000. you and 99% of the people who are banned are a nobody, and really don't make any difference in the grand scheme of things.

who mentioned bitmetv now :D
is it that obvious that bitmetv doesn't respect its users
any way i didn't mention bitmetv nor it was in my mind when i wrote my reply
i was talking in general.
but about bitmetv
most of people who use trackers use them for their content and their speed
so when i'm talking here i'm talking why trackers like fsc , ftn and nb are popular that's cause their community.
bitmetv is no match for those trackers and won't get even close
any way i have nothing against bitmetv
as i said before
they do what they think it's right at the moment
the thing is ; they offered accusations with no proof
and they ban people for no guilt
so please let's forget about it and move forward

dave12
09-25-2007, 03:49 AM
BUt you know guys why this all got started .so many guys getting banned from oink bmtv etc sites some good users and some trying to trade or sell invites.They banned users because they want to set an example, some guys dont respect rules they try trade invite and not only invite they try to trade accont and some try to sell invites.So you all are members of fst for so long and you how many guys here try to trade invites and account.When they come to know about they wiil disable account.So i feel sorry for those who dont any thing wrong and still their account get disabled because of one bad user.

briand5379
09-25-2007, 04:28 AM
It seems like most of the complaints I've seen are coming from BMTV members that were banned in the tree axing that's been occuring lately.

jasperr
09-25-2007, 04:38 AM
i'm tired of seeing these retarded threads.... and ignorant users who think they are owed...! being on a tracker isn't a right, it's more of a privlage.. many users here fail to realise that.. if staff on a tracker bans you... thats their right... it's their board not yours!!!!! they don't have to explain nothing.... if you dot an i wrong they can ban you... with or without reason...thats the way it is... it doesn't make it right or or wrong..... but we all still have to accept it...... now will ppl let these dumb threads die already!!?? geesh...

SAM
09-25-2007, 04:39 AM
you know what?
the way i look at it
we shouldn't complain
see, if you are a good member and a good sharer you are a contribute to any tracker what so ever
so if they ban you wrongly who cares ;they lost you as a good member and what you lose
their content which most of it is easy to find at tl or many other trackers .
the ocean is full of fish so who cares about a lousy ugly uneatable fish :)

so jasperr
you really have a point there
it's their board and their site
so what about they don't open it for people to sign in and just keep it to their owners so they can upload and download their own torrents and they can play hide and seek in the corners and write posts and delete them and when they get bored they can ban their selves .

look
a tracker without members is nothing
members are the ones who make the tracker it isn't about who own it
what about the donations that members pay for their tracker doesn't this means they own the tracker as well
what about the time you spend and your threads and your posts aren't these enough to make you a part of this site

jasperr
09-25-2007, 05:05 AM
look
a tracker without members is nothing
members are the ones who make the tracker it isn't about who own it
what about the donations that members pay for their tracker doesn't this means they own the tracker as well
what about the time you spend and your threads and your posts aren't these enough to make you a part of this site

many users donate and spend much time posting, they do this cause they want to...donations may be requested from staff to help help cover costs.... but its ultimatly the users decision to do so... same with posting, they do it of their own free will.. but, at the end of day.... no, the staff have final wave final word on all thing pertaining to their tracker sad to say.. so, having a sense that your owed somthing for this... is not reality... ..

thats all i'm saying.....

SAM
09-25-2007, 05:16 AM
well
you are right at the end of the day they have the final word and yes in reality they can do whatever they want .
but what's a site or a tracker is: it's a group of people not one person who owns the site, not the site staff who run the site
it's the whole members all the people using the site
some staff treat their members good some don't
as i said b4 we shouldn't complain cause bad staff member is like a bad member better to ignore him cause you only make him feel better about himself if you talk about him and actually he worth nothing

th0r
09-25-2007, 05:58 AM
Bans are almost always justified, I suggest reading my thread (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-bittorrent-43/t-th0rs-tracker-account-guide-masses-233229) to gain some insight as to why you were.

fifty99
09-25-2007, 07:42 AM
most of people who use trackers use them for their content and their speed
so when i'm talking here i'm talking why trackers like fsc , ftn and nb are popular that's cause their community.
bitmetv is no match for those trackers and won't get even close
any way i have nothing against bitmetv

I gotta agree ... I could care less about the speed I get from FSC ... its about the community ... the best on the net ... you find a better group of staffers / community in general then at FSC ...
as for FTN, it is about the speed and now the free leech to go with it ... although the community there is great too ...

IF people stopped tryin to be on every single site out there and actually spent time in the IRC rooms of just a few sites and made an impression with the staffers you would likely have a lot better time keeping your accounts and not worryin about them banning you ... and if they do ban you they are more apt to tell you why ...

who needs to be on every torrent site going ? all you are is a security risk to the rest of us ...