PDA

View Full Version : th0r's Tracker Account Guide for the Masses

th0r
09-25-2007, 02:44 AM
Because of recent threads about accounts being banned or hacked, I made a thread to help other users protect theirs. If yours was stolen or disabled unfairly, you can use this guide to figure out why.

Questions/premises to consider before talking to a staff member about your disabled account:

1.) Who do you associate with?

This notion is also known as guilty by association. If you hang out on forums notorious for cheating or trading accounts/invites, then you might be seen as a cheater/trader yourself, even though that's just an assumption. Be careful who you associate with, and know what and who you're getting something from.

2.) Is the account yours?

Did you register your account? If you didn't (trading for it or it was given to you [an account]) there's your answer, maybe. Accounts and invites are not meant to be traded, and accounts are not meant to be given away. If you're not going to use your account, have a staff member disable it.

You're putting your account at risk by sharing it with someone. If someone wants to use your account, invite them to the tracker. If you can't, don't access the account from two places at once.

3.) Where did you get the invite to that account?

Most trackers don't like it when invites are given out in public, especially in a forum as big as this. You could be a great user, but ultimately their F.A.Q./rules will decide whether you get your account back or not, so make sure you read them.

A cheater may have invited you (or vice versa) and yours or their invite tree may be at risk for disabling. This is a common reason why a lot of users lose their accounts.

4.) Do you know how your data is being recorded and by what it's being recorded from?

Some trackers have rules of which clients users should use to transfer data; some trackers require you to use an outdated client because they're more stable or some other reason. Make sure your client is the correct build and avoid banned clients.

You might be cheating or spoofing data and not know it. Sometimes clients report false data to the tracker even if you're seeding normally. Make sure your transfer data is correct, if it looks irregular, take a break from leeching or seeding.

5.) Do you protect your personal data?

Another reason why accounts are lost is by not protecting your personal data. If you access your account in a public place, the risk of losing your account is high. Your account may be stolen if you didn't logout and/or if you left your password stored in a cookie.

If you're not using a firewall, you're also at risk for theft of personal data.

Keep your e-mail account(s) safe by choosing uncommon passwords. Your account might've been stolen by someone recovering the password of your account via e-mail and then changing your personal details.

6.) Are you a bad user?

Your account might've been disabled due to harassing users, spamming in the forums or torrent comments, degrading uploads, bugging the staff, etc. Take time to evaluate your reputation.

Hitting and running or having a low ratio is also being a bad user.

If you cheated on purpose, you deserve to never get your account back. Don't do it.

7.) Do you have duplicate accounts or IP addresses?

Your account might've been disabled for having a duplicate one: they're not allowed pretty much anywhere. If you're accessing your account from different IP addresses and they're numerically similar, you may get it back. If the IP addresses are different, it looks like an account trade or a hand-off.

8.) Do you use your account?

If you leave your account idle, it will eventually die. Different trackers have different no activity grace periods, so make sure you use your account if you don't want it to die. Park your account or tell a staff member if you're not going to use your account for a while.

9.) Use tracker resources to assist in you getting your account back.

Every tracker has their own IRC channel, whether it be for support or chatting or PRE times. If you need assistance with your account, the tracker's IRC channel would be the best place to go. (m)IRC is easy to use, and can greatly improve your relationship with not only with the surrounding community, but also the tracker staff. A good first step of any new tracker membership is to join the IRC channel, introduce yourself, and start making friends. Who knows, it may result in that precious F*** or U*-* invite you've always dreamed of. (New!)

-------------------

Epiolgue

a.) Tracker staff have the final say in all account-related matters, they're also always right until proven wrong.

b.) Important things about your account are most always found in the F.A.Q./rules, make sure you read them.

c.) If you don't like how a tracker is run, refrain from complaining about it here. Instead, don't use it.

d.) Nobody condones cheating or selling invites, don't do it.

e.) If you think your account was disabled unfairly, please move on rather then throw dirt around here. It creates a bandwagon of unnecessary and negative attention that the tracker doesn't deserve. (New!)

That's it, PM me if you want me to add anything. This guide isn't intended to circumvent rules of any tracker, if you do, it's your doing. Your account is living and evolving, please take care of it.

- th0r

0Ri0N
09-25-2007, 03:23 AM
First of all, very nice job th0r

1.) Who do you associate with?

This notion is also known as guilty by association. If you hang out on forums notorious for cheating or trading accounts/invites, then you might be seen as a cheater/trader yourself, even though that's just an assumption. Be careful who you associate with, and know what and who you're getting something from.

a.) Tracker staff have the final say in all account-related matters, they're also always right until proven wrong.

I was associated with someone that share my ISP IP Range, how can i prove its not me? I think i can´t. :s

Green Goblin
09-25-2007, 06:29 AM
nice thread mate lets hope everyone here reads it.

fifty99
09-25-2007, 07:54 AM
all of this is very true ... nice thread ... maybe a STICKY should be applied ...

sear
09-25-2007, 06:18 PM
I agree good job mate. Maybe it will help stop some of those annoying threads whining about losing an account
why did **insert tracker name here** ban me? It's one thing to ask for help another to whinge.

+1 for sticky :yup:

Something Else
09-25-2007, 06:21 PM
Nice guide for the n00bs :)

blackbird
09-25-2007, 06:23 PM
nice guide for people with no common sense

SkullForce
09-25-2007, 06:30 PM
I lost an account there for parking it less than 2 weeks.

09-25-2007, 06:40 PM
Good Guide

AugustoP
09-25-2007, 06:40 PM
The first thing to remember for everyone who lost their accounts is that staff won't do anything in fear of "bad publicity". As far as I've seen they couldn't care what FST users will think of them.

sear
09-25-2007, 07:07 PM
The first thing to remember for everyone who lost their accounts is that staff won't do anything in fear of "bad publicity". As far as I've seen they couldn't care what FST users will think of them.

Good point. In fact publicly posting your problem here isn't the best idea and usually ends up in the flaming of the tracker involved which is sure to piss off staff. Best way to deal with it is to go on their IRC or failing that send a PM to the relevant community rep.

th0r
09-25-2007, 09:11 PM
Sometimes that might not be necessary hence when I included so many things to consider first. If you can pinpoint why you lost your account, it'll make it easier for both parties; You'd PM a staff member if your account was disabled for reasons other than what I've included, or to plead to get it back.

Bump, this thread should be sticked, or at least every user who browses this discussion should read this.

Edit: Stupid automerge.

djkamikaze
09-30-2007, 12:01 AM
Add one more to the list: don't park your account right away after you join, this just STINKS of potential account trading and will get you banned. If you have no plans to use the account, don't sign up now.

It would also be advised to be fully and totally honest when talking to site staff. remember, that in cases like these, they will behave similarly to cops: they'll only as questions they already know the answer to! They're not asking because they want to learn something from you, they're testing your honesty! even if you did something stupid, be 100% honest, and you'll at least have a BETTER chance of getting your account back. I've even seen ratio cheaters get back their accounts re-enabled because they only did it once and they were totally honest with staff.

also, a big +1 on adding the point about asking for help here... if you have a problem with a site/tracker, go to their IRC... don't bitch and moan about it here, that just guarantees that you are going to piss off the staff at the tracker.

pro267
09-30-2007, 12:20 AM
I'm sure your intentions were good, th0r, but I believe this thread achieves the opposite objective. Every honest user will read the rules of the tracker and therefore will not need this guide. Unfortunately, this could turn out to be a "things to avoid in order not to get caught" list, handy for the bad seeds.

jasperr
09-30-2007, 02:14 AM
I'm sure your intentions were good, th0r, but I believe this thread achieves the opposite objective. Every honest user will read the rules of the tracker and therefore will not need this guide. Unfortunately, this could turn out to be a "things to avoid in order not to get caught" list, handy for the bad seeds.

it has that potential yes, but this i believe was composed as a result of view the countless posts here by users that have no clue... so in essence this will be invaluble to them... and may save a lot of repeat posts.....

but thats just my opinion..

th0r
09-30-2007, 02:41 AM
Unfortunately, this could turn out to be a "things to avoid in order not to get caught" list, handy for the bad seeds.

People will always distort rules and regulations for their own twisted agenda, even if the author has good intentions.

I still think this thread should be stickied.

DV8type
09-30-2007, 07:08 AM
One of the better thread i have read here at FST. I think you would be the first person i ever gave a rep point too....but i cant find how to do it :lol:

th0r
09-30-2007, 07:31 AM
Heh, don't worry about it.

ROFL-LOL
09-30-2007, 07:56 AM
Really great guide Th0r. I think that users would really use this and i think that this should be sticked ;-)

Tbag
09-30-2007, 08:31 AM
nice guide m8. i think this thread should be sticked.

GoLDeN
09-30-2007, 11:52 AM
thanxx thor but why u arent a community rep ? arent u a thors land mod ?

th0r
09-30-2007, 07:17 PM
No, I'm not, I just happen to share a similar name.

huqiming
09-30-2007, 08:06 PM
Great guide. I appreciate your effort. :)

th0r
10-06-2007, 08:54 PM
Thanks.

Bump, I don't want this thread to circle the drain.

mievmo
10-06-2007, 09:16 PM
damn.... too many trackers had hacked !!!

TheFoX
10-06-2007, 10:16 PM
We all know that most members don't bother reading the rules or the FAQ, so this thread would suit those who somehow messed up, and don't know what they did wrong, which is 99.9% of those who post for help in this forum.

I actually think that all FAQs should be updated with knowledge of cheat clients, and why using them will get a member banned. The reason for this is simple; Many members are actually unaware that they are cheating, and they are under the misguided impression that they are seeding without actually seeding (ignorance is no excuse in my book).

DKre8ive1
10-07-2007, 06:35 AM
+1 for a sticky from me too since this could be of great benefit to new members and of course any new suggestions regarding accounts could be added to it by posting in this thread.

Great post th0r.

Grind$oFine
10-07-2007, 06:43 AM
I also agree with the sticky!
I also think that there should be a rule forcing everyone to read this. :D

Top notch, th0r, glad somebody did it.

th0r
10-07-2007, 06:46 AM
You're welcome guys, thanks a lot for your input.

CryMurder
10-07-2007, 11:40 PM
Definitely sticky this thread! It looks like alot of effort has gone into this and I think many people will find it helpful and look here instead of making new threads that have been answered a few million times. :)

lessthanfour
10-08-2007, 01:46 AM
Good job writing the guide. Hopefully people will actually read and follow some of your tips.

If people just used common sense and actually read/obided by the FAQs and Rules of trackers, this wouldn't be needed.. but obviously, people don't.

The most surefire way to protect your account is to follow all the rules.. simply put.

th0r
10-08-2007, 03:13 AM
Seems that the majority of users just get straight to leeching as soon as they join a tracker.

DKre8ive1
10-10-2007, 12:07 AM
Actually another good suggestion is for the member to read the stickies in the forums since most of the time those contain the most up to date info and announcements.

No sticky yet I guess it need more ideas. :P

th0r
10-10-2007, 12:39 AM
I think it has enough ideas and backing posts to warrant a sticky.

ose
10-21-2007, 10:00 AM
hello - what this message mean e.g ppl who use shell accounts have to limit their upload speed ?? it that right ??

thx in advance

Avis a tout les utilisateurs:

Dorénavant il sera interdit de mentionner un message quelconque dans une description d'un torrent concernant les seedbox comme par exemple ' ATTENTION, SEEDBOX S'ABSTENIR OU SEEDER A 100 ko/s MAX SVP !, les serveurs dédié sont là et aide à accélérer le service de partage. Quand votre seed sera compléter, alors laissé plus longtemps votre torrent actif, y a toujours quelqu'un qui va venir le chercher.

Etk, quelque chose comme ça.....

Moi même j'aime pas trop ça quand il y a quelque seedox qui se plogue sur un des mes torrents, mais il faut vivre avec

ATTEnTION , SEEDBOX S'ABSTENIR OU SEEDER A 100 ko/s MAX SVP !

Des messages comme celui la dans vos descriptions, nous ne voulont plus en voir, les torrents comprenant un message de la sorte seront suspendus jusqu'a ce que la description soit conforme.

th0r
11-08-2007, 02:40 AM
Bump, this thread deserves to be sticked.

claudandus
11-08-2007, 03:38 AM
maybe also interesting to add =^___^=

most sites have their own irc channel :)

and you can improve your relationships with the staffs if you go their irc and chitchat with the staff and other users :) its a great way to get to know eachother better and to get help from them :)

edit :

this thread could surely be a good stickie :)

ose : blabberfish gave me something like this :

Opinion has all the users: Henceforth it will be interdict to mention an unspecified message in a description of a torrent concerning the seedbox such as for example ' ATTENTION, SEEDBOX TO ABSTAIN FROM OR SEEDER A 100 ko/s MAX PLEASE!, the waiters dedicated are there and helps to accelerate the service of division. When your seed is to supplement, then left longer your active torrent, always somebody has there who will come to seek it. Etk, something like that..... Me even I do not like too that when there is some seedox which plogist on one as of the my torrents, but it is necessary to live with Attention, SEEDBOX TO ABSTAIN FROM OR SEEDER A 100 ko/s MAX PLEASE! Messages like that it in your descriptions, voulont to more see us, the torrents including/understanding a message of the kind will be suspended until A what description is in conformity.

Artemis
11-08-2007, 05:23 AM
lol this thread is about a tracker guide created by a member here called th0r, it is not a thread about Thor'sland ose, although that is the first time I have ever seen a tracker want to minimise upload speed............
anyway now back to th0r's guide !

fazzy07
11-08-2007, 08:00 AM
Great work th0r. Very handful

Another thing I might add is if you think your acc was disabled or deleted unjust fully, its better to just move on rather then throwing dirt around

Its not the end of the world.

th0r
12-02-2007, 06:58 AM
Updated. If anyone else has anything to add, I gladly will.

phoenixoflames
12-02-2007, 07:36 AM
Nice post th0r. P.S.: Why is it not stickied yet?

RealitY
12-02-2007, 07:55 AM
If you hang out on forums notorious for cheating or trading accounts/invites, then you might be seen as a cheater/trader yourself, even though that's just an assumption.
Do you think this is true. If so why be part of such a site. Does this suggest not to join certain forums if your on certain trackers. Perhaps join a differnt tracker if so. Though dont think there are many bt sites that do this.

Most trackers don't like it when invites are given out in public, especially in a forum as big as this.
Would this be an assumption or based on something or should the wording read Some perhaps...

th0r
12-02-2007, 08:08 AM
Does this suggest not to join certain forums if your on certain trackers. Perhaps join a differnt tracker if so. Though dont think there are many bt sites that do this.

I'm not condemning FST or any other forum, but obviously some tracker staff are aware of them. Some trackers do look at memberships and posting activity, and it can be a bad mark on your record if you get in trouble and have to stand before the staff.

Would this be an assumption or based on something or should the wording read Some perhaps...

It could be based on many things: inviting cheaters or scammers, a person of the law ... or it could be your new best friend. I'll try to reword it to say just to be cautious of who you give what to.

Magnum
12-02-2007, 08:10 AM
Nice guide for me!!!Thank you.

th0r
12-02-2007, 09:46 PM
Bump, this thread needs to be stickied.

pro267
12-02-2007, 10:07 PM
Would you stop bump-promoting your own thread? If one of the mods wants to sticky it he will / would've done it in already. It's annoying and it's basically just spam in a section which is supposed to be informative (FST has the lounge for that kind of stuff.. ;))

Thank you.