PDA

View Full Version : Partition question

kirktrix
09-26-2007, 08:25 AM
My boss wants to add more space to his Drive C: from the Drive D... It is possible without formatting ? what software i will use?...Thank you very much...:)

optimus_prime
09-26-2007, 11:52 AM
yes it is possible. software - partition magic.

it is EXTREMELY risky tho, and i wouldn't do it if important data is on that drive. if you do it backup everything you need. if possible it would be best to transfer everything from d: over network to some other place (or on c: if no other option available) then delete d:, resize c:, recreate d: and transfer data back to it.

MoReBeEr(VB)
09-26-2007, 12:16 PM
I've done this a few times by using partition magic
you use resize in partition magic & it is resized on the next reboot - it takes a while though!

I have had no problems at all by using this method on at least 5 occasions with no backup to fall back on, though a backup of important things is always wise.

kirktrix
09-26-2007, 01:13 PM
Ok i will try it... Thank you very much for your reply....I hope i can do it without any mistakes or my boss will kick my ass hehehehehe:D... Thanks again...

shazzar
09-26-2007, 02:08 PM
What if you got an external drive you need partitioning?.

I am having problems with Partition magic. It fails to change partion durning booting up as it fails to pick mu my ext drive when pc boots up.

4play
09-26-2007, 02:52 PM
is your external hdd connected using a usb port? does your motherboard allow for booting off usb port?

@kirktrix if its a business machine with valuable data i would look into raid.

shazzar
09-27-2007, 06:07 AM
Its connected via usb but i dont think my motherboard picks it up durning boot up, how do i check to make sure?

kirktrix
09-27-2007, 06:29 AM
@kirktrix if its a business machine with valuable data i would look into raid.

It is a personal computer of my boss...I will check your suggestion... Thank you..:)

4play
09-28-2007, 11:07 PM
Its connected via usb but i dont think my motherboard picks it up durning boot up, how do i check to make sure?

look up the specs of your motherboard. normally its listed as a feature.

raspberry1331
09-29-2007, 10:20 AM
Try to use gparted LiveCD, it will surely recognize your external HD, and it's completely free.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php