PDA

View Full Version : Windows 2003

jonathan_tijuana
07-08-2003, 04:52 PM
does anybody tryed the Microsoft Windows 2003 Server Standard 5 Client?

also i would like to know if it is available to download it?

shn
07-09-2003, 01:32 AM
Ive never heard of the standard five client, but Ive been running 2003 server standard edition on one of my boxes every since they started the first beta of it. I downloaded it from microsoft some time ago and received a one year liscence which is just about up. Its pretty good o.s. for servers only. 2003 server is no good for a desktop, laptop, or any type of workstation enviorment. It simply was not designed for that.

balamm
07-09-2003, 01:45 AM
Don't bother with standard server. Grab the enterprise edition from MS and then search O-days or overnet for "windows trial extend" .
this one is fully functional for 180 days(before the patch) and does come with 5 client licences.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003...al/evalkit.mspx (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/evaluation/trial/evalkit.mspx)

chalkmongoose
07-09-2003, 03:09 AM
Originally posted by jonathan_tijuana@8 July 2003 - 16:52
does anybody tryed the Microsoft Windows 2003 Server Standard 5 Client?

also i would like to know if it is available to download it?
I have actually a hilarious story about that. I was looking at the server info for W2003 enterprise edition and all the stuff they blabbed on about. It looked like it improve the set of Redhat 8 (and now 9) boxes I've been running for a year, so I downloaded the evaluation. Now, I don't want any Penguins getting p-o'd at me for doing this, especially since I'm now back with Redhat. It turns out that after I finished d/l them, I tried installing a burned copy on a test box and the damn thing caughed and died.
For a billion dollar company, they don't have any sense. You don't give customers copies of software that don't work...

shn
07-09-2003, 03:22 AM
Why would you guys want enterprise editions. I dont know what your day to day server operations consist of but enterprise edition is for big corporate companies with huge backbones..................thus having the name windows 2003 "enterprise edition" I couldnt imagine you guys having a mainframe in your house or a box with multiple processors on 2003 enterprise edition supporting a couple million users. But then again who knows..............maybe one of you guys owns a small isp............lol. If so, could I like borrow a t3 line from you? :huh:

btw, if your gonna opt for enterprise edition why not have it all with 2003 datacenter editon. I mean damn who wouldnt want a o.s. that could support up to 512 "gigs" of physical memory on a 64-bit system :lol:

balamm
07-09-2003, 04:31 AM
I don't know what they did with the downlader they supplied during beta testing but it was pretty fool proof. Now it's a bitch to keep the connection awake. Why don't they use the same server setup they have for directx? 850kb/s !

The enterprise edition just feels better to me somehow. It's a lot more stable than the standard servers I tried. Maybe because I've used win2k advanced server so long.
And the directx download above was with the enterprise edition.