PDA

View Full Version : Vista Ultimate

Mr JP Fugley
09-28-2007, 07:42 PM
I'm quite liking it. Stole the doesn't need activated one and it gets the updates etc from M$.

Still early but it seems to be OK to use.

JazzyJeff
09-28-2007, 07:44 PM
Yeah I like it too, until i try to download programs or do admin tasks.. But it Looks the biz.

Hairbautt
09-28-2007, 07:44 PM
Meh, software incompatibilities.

Mr JP Fugley
09-28-2007, 07:45 PM
So steal new versions.

Something Else
09-28-2007, 07:46 PM
Give it 2 yrs before it workz properly... Even most apps are half disabled on there...oh dear

Hairbautt
09-28-2007, 07:46 PM
Wait 'til SP1 then.

Mr JP Fugley
09-28-2007, 07:48 PM
Give it 2 yrs before it workz properly... Even most apps are half disabled on there...oh dear

I've just stuck it on a basic PC. So I have one downloading and stuff and this one sitting beside it for browsing etc, just to leave the resources free on the other one.

Sextent
09-28-2007, 07:49 PM

I've just stuck it on a basic PC. So I have one downloading and stuff and this one sitting beside it for browsing etc, just to leave the resources free on the other one.

How's that working out

Mr JP Fugley
09-28-2007, 07:50 PM

How's that working out

Pretty good actually.

And also when you look this version shows as having been activated.

Something Else
09-28-2007, 07:52 PM
I've been tryin to help my mate out on his Vista laptop but every windows version that comes out treats you like more of an idiot, doesn't work as well, and needs loads more power... Idiots

Mr JP Fugley
09-28-2007, 07:55 PM
I've been tryin to help my mate out on his Vista laptop but every windows version that comes out treats you like more of an idiot, doesn't work as well, and needs loads more power... Idiots

Did he get it pre-installed. I always find that shite.

I much prefer starting from scratch and installing stuff to suit me.

Proper Bo
09-28-2007, 07:55 PM
I've been using it for a while and everything works okay for me, like.

Something Else
09-28-2007, 07:56 PM
Yeah it was pre-installed and he's a complete PC nub, just been fixin it mostly so far....

brotherdoobie
I've had Vista on me laptop for a bit. Meh. (She's very pretty...but she's a cunt - who
doesn't play well with others.)

I prefer Windows 2000.

Something Else
Win 98SE FTW!

Mr JP Fugley
09-28-2007, 08:00 PM
Win 98SE FTW!

I like XP Corporate SP2 Student Licence.

It's just that I was re-doing this PC anyway so I thought I'd give it a bash.

Something Else
09-28-2007, 08:00 PM
Yeah it's worth a go, I'm happy to use it as long as it's not on my main PC :D

brotherdoobie
09-28-2007, 08:01 PM
Win 98SE FTW!

Yuck.

-bd

Mr JP Fugley
09-28-2007, 08:07 PM
Yeah it's worth a go, I'm happy to use it as long as it's not on my main PC :D

That was the thinking as it was a fresh install anyway.

Worst case scenario just do a format and install xp corp.

Proper Bo
09-28-2007, 08:15 PM
The backup image creating/restoring thingy is fan-tastic, btw. Wurked perfectly when I used it to put everything on my new hard disk

MediaSlayer
09-28-2007, 08:17 PM
does vista look more appealing after a few beers?

http://esoriano.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/drunk.jpg

i'd hafta b soooo drunk to use that operating system

brotherdoobie
09-28-2007, 08:28 PM
@Bo It worked great for me too.

-bd

MediaSlayer
09-28-2007, 08:29 PM
did u feel all dirty and slutty after :P

MediaSlayer
09-28-2007, 08:31 PM
<<<<<<< the only slut :(

Mr JP Fugley
09-28-2007, 08:33 PM
@Bo It worked great for me too.

-bd

So far so good for me, however as I said I'm not really putting a lot of pressure on the machine. Which is way far from "state of the art". It's more to have a wee play with the OS to see if I like it.

GoLDeN
09-28-2007, 08:46 PM
whats wrong with it ?

brotherdoobie
09-28-2007, 08:51 PM
@JP Do you have the Aero interface turned on. It's really stunning.

-bd

MediaSlayer
09-28-2007, 08:52 PM
whats wrong with it ?

link (http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html)

u be the judge

Mr JP Fugley
09-28-2007, 08:56 PM

-bd

I don't even know what that means.

Discuss.

tesco
09-28-2007, 09:06 PM

-bd

Discuss.all the neat effects and transparency stuff.

brotherdoobie
09-28-2007, 09:15 PM

Discuss.all the neat effects and transparency stuff.

Yeah, lyke. http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_rtm_ultimate_gallery.asp

-bd

Hairbautt
09-28-2007, 11:52 PM
all the neat effects and transparency stuff.with blur and flip3D

I'd also like to add that I have flip3D on XP, because that's just cool.

manicgeek
09-29-2007, 12:37 AM
You have got to be pissing with us right ?

It's an absolute bag of bollocks, the most incompatible OS that Microsoft has ever released... are you really saying that as long as it has a pretty front end you're happy ???

brotherdoobie
09-29-2007, 12:56 AM

It's an absolute bag of bollocks, the most incompatible OS that Microsoft has ever released... are you really saying that as long as it has a pretty front end you're happy ???

Feck off noob. (I take you have never used Windows Me.)

-bd

manicgeek
09-29-2007, 01:01 AM

-bd

Yeah right, like you'd know shit about software or even understand the concept of compatibility :rolleyes:

Yes thanks I run Me on a really old laptop, and it's great at what it does, and it's also a shit load more compatible than Vista Ultimate that is sitting on the box to my left and that is a piece if crap on a grand scale...

Fecking idiot!

brotherdoobie
09-29-2007, 01:16 AM

-bd

Yeah right, like you'd know shit about software or even understand the concept of compatibility :rolleyes:

Yes thanks I run Me on a really old laptop, and it's great at what it does, and it's also a shit load more compatible than Vista Ultimate that is sitting on the box to my left and that is a piece if crap on a grand scale...

Fecking idiot!

Settle down, lass. I and countless others have mentioned
compatibility issues, numerous times in numerous threads.

I'm an IT manager, btw.

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-lounge-10/t-vista-ultimate-234394/page2 (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/page2)

-bd :dabs:

manicgeek
09-29-2007, 01:23 AM
Settle down, lass. I and countless others have mentioned
compatibility issues, numerous times in numerous threads.

I'm an IT manager, btw.

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-lounge-10/t-vista-ultimate-234394/page2 (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/page2)

Well that explains the attraction to pretty interfaces then.

Ultimate in Vistas case means that it's ultimately going to cause you big fecking headaches. Did you know it dials home even if you switch the computer into sleep mode... watch your pcs in the wee small hours, they'll power themselves up and dial home, and then switch back to sleep mode ;)

callum
09-29-2007, 01:23 AM

-bd

Fecking idiot!

Calm down, take a deep breath, take a step back, enter the software section and stay there.

manicgeek
09-29-2007, 01:28 AM
Calm down, take a deep breath, take a step back, enter the software section and stay there.

Sorry.

I'll avoid that bit if it's all the same, I have enough of it at work.

brotherdoobie
09-29-2007, 01:38 AM
Agreed.

-bd

fstrulz
09-29-2007, 04:39 AM
Ubuntu is better than Vista... And the best thing about Ubuntu is it's FREE.

bYsxaMyFV2Y

You can also run your favorite Windows apps in Ubuntu using Wine... There'll be a new version of Ubuntu coming out on Oct. 18th and I definitely recommend that you try it for yourself.

http://ubuntuforums.org

Mr JP Fugley
09-29-2007, 01:06 PM

Don't you think that's a tad aggressive if all you really want to say is that you don't like it as an operating system. I can't really comment yet as I haven't been using it long enough, like I said just a day or so.

However what I can say is that ME was truly appalling. 98SE was in every way superior. TBH I don't even know why ME was released it just seemed a bit pointless.

manicgeek
09-29-2007, 03:57 PM
Don't you think that's a tad aggressive if all you really want to say is that you don't like it as an operating system. I can't really comment yet as I haven't been using it long enough, like I said just a day or so.

However what I can say is that ME was truly appalling. 98SE was in every way superior. TBH I don't even know why ME was released it just seemed a bit pointless.

Mmmm I'm told that the things I write come across as aggressive, it wasn't my intention though I assure you. Sorry if you thought I was having a go I wasn't it was just meant as a comment on the compatibility of Vista. Mind you SP1 will I'm sure make it better just as it did for XP.

fstrulz
09-29-2007, 04:45 PM
If you guys wanna stick with Windows, then just use the only stable Windows OS out there (even if it's not supported anymore by M$)...

Windows 2000.

Mr JP Fugley
09-29-2007, 06:14 PM

Mmmm I'm told that the things I write come across as aggressive, it wasn't my intention though I assure you. Sorry if you thought I was having a go I wasn't it was just meant as a comment on the compatibility of Vista. Mind you SP1 will I'm sure make it better just as it did for XP.

NP, you're probably just a passionate guy. I'm just giving Vista a try on this machine as I had to install an operating system anyway and it was literally sitting on the desk in front of me.

If it's pish I'll just format the hard drive and put on the XP I like.

Mr JP Fugley
09-29-2007, 06:14 PM
If you guys wanna stick with Windows, then just use the only stable Windows OS out there (even if it's not supported anymore by M$)...

Windows 2000.

Just wrong.

Beenieman
09-29-2007, 06:47 PM

bYsxaMyFV2Y

You can also run your favorite Windows apps in Ubuntu using Wine... There'll be a new version of Ubuntu coming out on Oct. 18th and I definitely recommend that you try it for yourself.

Thanks for the clip.. Gonna set up a dual boot now and try it out thanks. Whats it like for drivers/games etc?

fstrulz
09-29-2007, 06:49 PM
Just wrong.

That's what the experts told me - that Windows 2000 is the only good and stable OS that M$ ever built.

fstrulz
09-29-2007, 06:53 PM
Thanks for the clip.. Gonna set up a dual boot now and try it out thanks. Whats it like for drivers/games etc?
I'd advice that you try just the Live-CD for now and wait for the new Ubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy," which will be released next month... The only problem in the current version (7.04) of Ubuntu right now is it doesn't support all WiFi cards yet... Also, I don't play games. But you can check out their forums for info at: http://ubuntuforums.org

Beenieman
09-29-2007, 07:02 PM
Cheers m8 will check it out. Not really fussed about games since I will Dual boot and have my games on Vista still. Looks pretty amazing eitherway so worth a look.

Mr JP Fugley
09-29-2007, 07:08 PM
Just wrong.

That's what the experts told me - that Windows 2000 is the only good and stable OS that M$ ever built.

Windows 2000 was not designed for home use, it was an operating system for businesses and networks. It came in a variety of forms but these were to suit various business needs.

You could argue that the safest thing to drive down the road in is a tank but is it really suitable for purpose.

Something Else
09-29-2007, 07:39 PM
Experts told me tanks is best ;)

Mr JP Fugley
09-29-2007, 07:41 PM
Experts told me tanks is best ;)

nazi

DefX
09-29-2007, 07:42 PM
I dont think Windows 2k is any more stabler than XP SP2, at least in my experience. Plus the fact that XP's kernel is pretty much based on Windows 2k.

I had 2k installed on my pc for about a month and I had various issues with it when playing games that I never had with XP.

Mr JP Fugley
09-29-2007, 07:45 PM
I dont think Windows 2k is any more stabler than XP SP2, at least in my experience. Plus the fact that XP's kernel is pretty much based on Windows 2k.

I had 2k installed on my pc for about a month and I had various issues with it when playing games that I never had with XP.

However had you been running a small business ....

Beenieman
09-29-2007, 08:40 PM
Can't beat DOS :D

Mr JP Fugley
09-29-2007, 08:52 PM
Can't beat DOS :D

Depends what you're using it for really. I recently used it to FDISK and Format a hard drive I was having some bother with. Did it using a boot floppy when the machine was being a total cunt and wouldn't boot from a CD and I couldn't get it to stop going straight to the HD.

Beenieman
09-29-2007, 08:55 PM
Yeah must admit fdisk in dos has saved my ass a few times. infact dos is great when you have a currupt windows installation and you need to recover some stuff (pron) ;) before u format lol

Mr JP Fugley
09-29-2007, 09:04 PM
Yeah must admit fdisk in dos has saved my ass a few times. infact dos is great when you have a currupt windows installation and you need to recover some stuff (pron) ;) before u format lol

You know it makes sence, so long as you stick to FAT and not NTFS. Which Vista uses.

Mr JP Fugley
09-29-2007, 09:05 PM
Wait a minute, what use is FDISK in recovering stuff. You're just ripping the pish.

I thought I liked you and it turns out you're a bit of a cunt.

Beenieman
09-29-2007, 09:19 PM
I said fdisk has saved me a few times, I then went on to say that dos was good for recovery and not fdisk lol

Mr JP Fugley
09-29-2007, 09:24 PM
I said fdisk has saved me a few times, I then went on to say that dos was good for recovery and not fdisk lol

True, my apologies for the misunderstanding.

Snee
09-29-2007, 10:08 PM
Win 2k pro was aight, stable as fuck, regular win 2k is for gimps.

Ubuntu is all right, even good for linux-newbies (even tards can manage it, as indicated above), like, but wine is hardly good enough to run everything windows-based you might want to run.

Win 98SE is waaay better than Win ME, which is a dodgy piece of crap, but even so, you can't be sure just installing a game or something on 98SE isn't going to break something.

That is all.

Beenieman
10-01-2007, 02:34 PM
I'd advice that you try just the Live-CD for now and wait for the new Ubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy," which will be released next month... The only problem in the current version (7.04) of Ubuntu right now is it doesn't support all WiFi cards yet... Also, I don't play games. But you can check out their forums for info at: http://ubuntuforums.org (http://ubuntuforums.org/)

Had a look at Ubuntu today, Not sure if I like it or hate it, it certainly doesn't look like it does from that you tube clip I seen earlier, I'm clearly missing something.

:(

btw I'm in Ubuntu now reading this page :D

Actually I think I know the problem, I need to download a "Desktop Environment" Just need to figure out which one that was in the clip!

fstrulz
10-01-2007, 05:09 PM
I'd advice that you try just the Live-CD for now and wait for the new Ubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy," which will be released next month... The only problem in the current version (7.04) of Ubuntu right now is it doesn't support all WiFi cards yet... Also, I don't play games. But you can check out their forums for info at: http://ubuntuforums.org (http://ubuntuforums.org/)

Had a look at Ubuntu today, Not sure if I like it or hate it, it certainly doesn't look like it does from that you tube clip I seen earlier, I'm clearly missing something.

:(

btw I'm in Ubuntu now reading this page :D

Actually I think I know the problem, I need to download a "Desktop Environment" Just need to figure out which one that was in the clip!

You'll need to choose a desktop environment, like Gnome (default in Ubuntu) or KDE (OS X - like), then you need to install XGL and Compiz to have those 3D effects... Check out the forums for more info.

Beenieman
10-01-2007, 05:42 PM
Forums lol, lets just say they aint for the faint hearted :O

I find at the moment for a noob like me it aint very user friendly (Ubuntu) I went on the forums and checked out how I would go about using Gnome or some other better Enviroments and all I found was some complicated instructions which talked about adding code and shit or commandlines, eitherway it looked to much, I was expecting it to be no different to windows and I would just have to run a installer or something and not have to play with lines of code or whatever, Maybe I misread it or something.

No Worries.

Mr JP Fugley
10-01-2007, 05:50 PM
That's why I like Windows.

Plug stuff in and it works, no fannying about.

I don't want to be a computer technician, I just want it to do stuff.

fstrulz
10-01-2007, 07:23 PM
I've been a Windows user for 10 years now, and I just started using (and about to completely migrate) Linux because it's faster and much more secure than Windows... Linux is not that completely ready as a Windows replacement yet, but it'll be very soon.

@Beenieman... Ubuntu is actually one of the most user-friendly Linux distro out there right now... But if you think it's not for you, I'd suggest that you also try: openSUSE (http://en.opensuse.org/Screenshots/openSUSE_10.3)

Beenieman
10-01-2007, 08:23 PM
@Beenieman... Ubuntu is actually one of the most user-friendly Linux distro out there right now... But if you think it's not for you, I'd suggest that you also try: openSUSE (http://en.opensuse.org/Screenshots/openSUSE_10.3)

Cheers for the link, But I think I'm gonna give this Ubuntu another go when I've the time to look into it a bit more. I've been a Windows user since 95 so I'm in the need for a new experiance and Ubuntu looks the part and I must admit I'm hooked on it's looks and feel :D

Spartan04
10-01-2007, 08:58 PM
I just decided to do the same thing about a month ago and now I am triple booting with Vista Ultimate, Ubuntu, and XP. Ubuntu wasnt too complicated to install but it I had to look in forums to find out how to get my bluetooth keyboard and mouse to stay connected. Getting the 3D cube desktop to work with my video card was a pain in the ass too. But all in all I like it, change is good.

sear
10-01-2007, 09:38 PM

bYsxaMyFV2Y

That is pretty fucking cool, I'm amazed :O

Meth3d
10-01-2007, 11:40 PM
This is my first time actually seeing Ubuntu in action. It seems like awesome user interface, but a complete waste of system resources. I maybe a bit ignorant so I might try it when I get a laptop.

fstrulz
10-02-2007, 01:35 PM
That 3D environment in Ubuntu (XGL+Compiz) runs flawlessly in my old laptop with a 32MB graphics card.

In contrast, Vista requires your PC to have at least a 256MB graphics card just to run its crappy 3D window effects and DreamScene.

Something Else
10-02-2007, 01:39 PM
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/3091/spannervk2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Mr JP Fugley
10-02-2007, 05:31 PM
I'm not sure if you're going with spanner or tool.

Perhaps both.

appyton
10-03-2007, 07:26 PM
This rating system on Vista ultimate ... I have 5.5..after 3gb memory, what do you all have?

Mr JP Fugley
10-03-2007, 07:32 PM

I'm surprised you can get any programs to work at all. Is it really slow.

Beenieman
10-04-2007, 08:58 AM
Bastard Fugley u beat me :( I only get 23.3!

BabyDick
10-04-2007, 09:22 AM
so many nerds; so little cock to suck on

Mr JP Fugley
10-04-2007, 06:12 PM
Bastard Fugley u beat me :( I only get 23.3!

It's only as good as the weakest element. You may have to change to a wireless mouse to get the extra speed.

Beenieman
10-04-2007, 06:45 PM
You mean my ps2 mouse is no good?

hubotje
10-08-2007, 10:30 AM
well ill try it out

fstrulz
10-18-2007, 07:49 PM
bYsxaMyFV2Y

Ubuntu 7.10 is finally out!

Get it for FREE @ http://www.ubuntu.com/products/GetUbuntu/download

Sextent
10-18-2007, 08:01 PM
Can I do that as a dual boot.

fstrulz
10-18-2007, 08:03 PM
Can I do that as a dual boot.Yes... It'll automatically give you an option to make a dual-boot partition during installation.

DefX
10-18-2007, 08:06 PM
If you're installing it on a separate hard drive instead of a partition, you might have to tweak the boot order of your hard drives in the BIOS so that the Linux OS selection (GRUB) will show up. Else, it might go directly back to Windows.

Sextent
10-18-2007, 08:13 PM
So, do I download the OS and make like a boot disk then install from that directly.

DefX
10-18-2007, 08:18 PM
Download the OS, burn it to a disk, boot from it in startup and you can test drive the OS from the live CD without installing anything in your system.

If you're ready to install, just click on the "install" icon on the live cd desktop.

fstrulz
10-18-2007, 08:20 PM
For those who are upgrading... New features (with screenshots) of the new "Gutsy" release can be checked out here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/710tour

Beenieman
10-18-2007, 09:15 PM
Installed first thing this morning, been on it a few hours and finally starting to get the hang of things. still not got the "cube" working though but I think it's because I'm thick and missed something lol :D

btw posting from it now :P

DefX
10-18-2007, 09:18 PM
Installed first thing this morning, been on it a few hours and finally starting to get the hang of things. still not got the "cube" working though but I think it's because I'm thick and missed something lol :D

Are u using compiz or compiz fusion?

Check hsize in compiz in your gconf-editor. Make sure its set to "4"

fstrulz
10-18-2007, 09:20 PM

If you have an ATI or NVIDIA video card, then I think you'll have to do some tweaking... Just go to http://ubuntuforums.org for help.

Beenieman
10-18-2007, 09:49 PM

Are u using compiz or compiz fusion?

Check hsize in compiz in your gconf-editor. Make sure its set to "4"

System/Preferences/Advance Desktop Effects Settings - Thats all I've got to play with, maybe I havent got compiz installed?

I think I'm close because I can turn left and right but cant actually move the cube up or down or make it zoom out like in the video!

DefX
10-18-2007, 09:54 PM
Yes you do. it comes pre installed. Compiz is desktop effects.

Type "gconf-editor" on a terminal. Navigate to apps - compiz - general - screen 0 - options. Then do what I instructed from above. Then make sure desktop effects is enabled. To rotate the cube hold ctrl + alt while moving the mouse.

brotherdoobie
10-18-2007, 10:01 PM
It's so cute to observe - the lust of Linux n00bs.

-bd :happy:

fstrulz
10-18-2007, 10:11 PM
All geeks once were n00bs.

DefX
10-18-2007, 10:15 PM
Yeah brothernoobie

manicgeek
10-18-2007, 10:15 PM
What I don't get is WHY? Why would you want a cube for your desktop ?

KDE can run you 10 virtual screens on a default install, how many sides have you got on that cube ? I mean WTF is the point of limiting yourself, even lestiff (mwm) could manage 9 ffs !! Please tell me it's not just because it looks cool ?

fstrulz
10-18-2007, 10:19 PM
Maybe because 4 viewports/desktops is just enough for most users...

DefX
10-18-2007, 10:22 PM
The effect is not limited to 4. I run beryl, which is practically the same thing as compiz, and you can set the number of desktops to as much as you want (Im not sure what the limit is).

When you do, obviously you wont get a cube. You'll get a hexagonal 3d fig if its 6 desktops and so on. Tbh, I dont play around with it that much. Once the novelty wore off, I disabled it too.

brotherdoobie
10-18-2007, 10:28 PM

Yes. What's your point? It wasn't an insult. I said it was cute.
I't makes me happy when people try out another OS.

Blind loyalty to any product or platform is very limiting
(see: Mac fags).

Good luck.

-bd

manicgeek
10-18-2007, 10:31 PM
Maybe because 4 viewports/desktops is just enough for most users...

Yeah you set that in the KDE control centre, look for multiple desktops you can have any number up to 10, by default, although most users only ever use one or two, and if I remember correctly KDE defaults to 4.

lestiff (mwm) is settable in the system.mwmrc file, which is the system wide config file for it, or you can set it in a .mwmrc file in your $HOME.

Gnome is changable, although I haven't used it in a long time so I can't remember how. In fact I think most of them are changeable with the possible exception of twm... and we'll not talk about twm if it's alright with you :)

I really don't get the attraction of the cube, as far as I can see it's just eye candy.

brotherdoobie
10-18-2007, 10:37 PM
That's the point, mate. Some people want to get their feet wet, and would like the eye candy of Windows Vista; without the inherent problems involved with running that OS.

To each their own. :)

-bd

DefX
10-18-2007, 10:37 PM
I really don't get the attraction of the cube, as far as I can see it's just eye candy.

The attraction is that its innovative and people go "ooh" and "ahh" upon seeing it. Most of which are Windows users.

I'm a linux newbie myself and I admit one of the big reasons i tried out ubuntu a week ago is because of the cube effects. A week later, I've disabled the effects yet made Linux my permanent home.

fstrulz
10-18-2007, 10:43 PM
That's the point, mate. Some people want to get their feet wet, and would like the eye candy of Windows Vista; without the inherent problems involved with running that OS.

Vista has eye candy??? Well maybe if you have a high-end PC, then you'll enjoy its memory-hogging crappy 3D effects. :)

For me, the great thing about Linux, specifically Ubuntu, is that it works flawlessly (including that 3D thing - Beryl/Compiz) in my old Pentium III PC... Can M$ Windows do that? No.

brotherdoobie
10-18-2007, 10:46 PM
I swore never to use Linux again, at least until a former member of this forum returns
(shn...you could of been the love of my life).

True story.

-bd

fstrulz
10-18-2007, 10:51 PM

Yes. What's your point? It wasn't an insult. I said it was cute.
I't makes me happy when people try out another OS.

Blind loyalty to any product or platform is very limiting
(see: Mac fags).

Good luck.

Sorry, I forgot to put a smiley face in the end of my sentence. :)

:D

brotherdoobie

Vista has eye candy??? Well maybe if you have a high-end PC, then you'll enjoy its memory-hogging crappy 3D effects. :)

For me, the great thing about Linux, specifically Ubuntu, is that it works flawlessly (including that 3D thing - Beryl/Compiz) in my old Pentium III PC... Can M$ Windows do that? No.

Why are you so defensive. I've already stated that fact.

manicgeek
The attraction is that its innovative and people go "ooh" and "ahh" upon seeing it. Most of which are Windows users.

I'm a linux newbie myself and I admit one of the big reasons i tried out ubuntu a week ago is because of the cube effects. A week later, I've disabled the effects yet made Linux my permanent home.

Ah! That's good :) I like that. Getting people to at least try and see if it's any good for them is as good a reason as I can think of, thank you.

Sextent
10-18-2007, 11:16 PM
Download the OS, burn it to a disk, boot from it in startup and you can test drive the OS from the live CD without installing anything in your system.

If you're ready to install, just click on the "install" icon on the live cd desktop.

Thanks for that.

fstrulz
10-18-2007, 11:43 PM
To other Linux n00bs, like me... You can run programs that are not compatible with Linux yet (Photoshop, Joost, etc...) using Wine (http://winehq.org).

Gimp, which is a Photoshop alternative for Linux, is great but I still love Adobe Photoshop, that's why I use it over Wine in Ubuntu. :)

Here's a video of Wine running Joost client on Ubuntu...

eZIkkpt4HOI

Sextent
10-18-2007, 11:52 PM
To other Linux n00bs, like me... You can run programs that are not compatible with Linux yet (Photoshop, Joost, etc...) using Wine (http://winehq.org).

Gimp, which is a Photoshop alternative for Linux, is great but I still love Adobe Photoshop, that's why I use it over Wine in Ubuntu. :)

See now you've put me off again. I don't want to do work to make my PC do stuff. I just want it to happen.

brotherdoobie
10-18-2007, 11:56 PM

Here's a video of Wine running Joost client on Ubuntu...

eZIkkpt4HOI

You're running Joost; using a Pentium III processor?

-bd :O

Sextent
10-19-2007, 12:00 AM
:whoosh:

fstrulz
10-19-2007, 12:01 AM
You're running Joost; using a Pentium III processor?

-bd :O
I have an old Pentium III PC and a Pentium M laptop... I don't really use Joost... I use Photoshop CS on both though. :)

fstrulz
10-19-2007, 12:06 AM

See now you've put me off again. I don't want to do work to make my PC do stuff. I just want it to happen.
Once you've installed Wine and your fav "not compatible for Linux yet" apps, it will "just happen" like you're running them on Windows. :)

Hairbautt
10-19-2007, 01:53 AM
I sure like eyecandy.

brotherdoobie
10-19-2007, 02:26 AM
I sure like eyecandy.

You go girl!

-bd :01:

DefX
10-19-2007, 02:31 AM
^ :lol:

Hairbautt
10-19-2007, 02:34 AM
Cunts.

brotherdoobie
10-19-2007, 02:38 AM
Cunt.

-bd

Something Else
10-19-2007, 03:05 AM
whats wrong with you pair of titties?

ldnzoot
10-19-2007, 04:11 AM
isn't "Vista Ultimate" an oxymoron..?!

Something Else
10-19-2007, 04:32 AM
:lol: good point...

brotherdoobie
10-19-2007, 04:41 AM
Sup, mystery?

-bd

ldnzoot
10-19-2007, 04:43 AM
Sup, mystery?

-bd

are you dyslexic.. my name is ldnzoot..?!!

Something Else
10-19-2007, 04:47 AM
I feel another skizo ban coming on :lol:
What you still doin up bd?

brotherdoobie
10-19-2007, 04:49 AM
Sup, mystery?

-bd

are you dyslexic.. my name is ldnzoot..?!!

Who said I was talking to you, young one.

If I was dyslexic...I would of said; "sup,toozndl?"

Sup,benchez? I'm always up late. I'm the boards resident
night owl.

-bd

Something Else
10-19-2007, 04:50 AM
So you were talking to me?

ldnzoot
10-19-2007, 05:10 AM
is bd an abreviation for bend down..???

yours sincerly

confused