PDA

View Full Version : The State Of Rock Music

Eugenius
07-09-2003, 10:44 AM
now i wasn't even into music when Nirvana's 'explosion' hit the mainstream, i got into them round about 1995, but i think everyone talks bollocks.

MTV and magazines love to romanticise the past:
e.g. Jimi Hendrix (didn't people start riots cos they thought his new tunes were shit?)

question:
what exactly did Nirvana's 'explosion' achieve

answer:
it got upper class kids to listen to and make watered down rock music.

bands like sum 41 are no different to 80's rock, it's all about gimmicks and marketing.

tons of quality rock, metal, punk, exciting bands were around before MTV decided to create this hype around Kurt Cobain:

The Pixies
Janes Addiction
Ramones
Misfits
Ministry
Skinny Puppy

but of course these bands owe everything to Kurt Cobain don't they? yeah right!

what's my point? fuck knows.
i'm gonna lie down.

neil1967
07-09-2003, 11:21 AM
answer-dont believe the hype.
listen to what you like. and dont fret about such nonsense. :)

Ad
07-09-2003, 12:10 PM
well i would say this Nirvana changed the face of music in the 90s bvrought the alternative sound one might say and saved us from going to teen stage.

They however responsable for olot of MTV crap bands that get alot of publicity no gonna emntion any names

Alot of people forget that Alice In Chains actully had that sound before Nirvana but Nirvana ended up making it big with that Nevermind album.

Nirvana stuff is very simple and can be larened in 2 seconds but they frought a whole new sound to us all which im thankful for :)

Celerystalksme
07-09-2003, 04:53 PM
I couldn't really give a shit cause nirvana were around while i was growing up and i really liked their sound and spoke a lot louder than most bands did at the time...But a person's opinion is still put into consideration...Even though i do not agree with it cause i heard all those other bands aswell...it was just in my opinion that nirvana were a better band...simple...now build a bridge and get over it...

insanebassman
07-09-2003, 05:05 PM
Kurt Kaboom:

I would like to nominate his activity for Best Use Of A Bullet catagory.

Celerystalksme
07-09-2003, 05:20 PM
Ouch...

Rhydian66
07-09-2003, 05:42 PM
Nirvana were cool AT THE TIME- Nevermind was a breath of fresh air. And I was growing up at the time too, so I know what Celerystalksme means. All the bullshit that's followed recently is just cashing in on Cobain's death, so just ignore it and it will go away again for another ten years.

mogadishu
07-09-2003, 07:08 PM
the ramones came decades before nirvana... think before you talk.

Eugenius
07-09-2003, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by mogadishu@9 July 2003 - 19:08
what i meant was that there were good, original bands before Nirvana and after.
so i'm asking, "what exactly did Nirvana do other than making good albums, like any other band?"

please don't come to me with that, "new sound" crap.

Celerystalksme
07-09-2003, 09:08 PM
I'll get back to you when my carefactor increases...

mogadishu
07-10-2003, 12:12 AM
im sorry, eugenius.. i misread what u wrote. i apologize.

Snowdog
07-10-2003, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by Eugenius+9 July 2003 - 17:03--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Eugenius @ 9 July 2003 - 17:03)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mogadishu@9 July 2003 - 19:08
what i meant was that there were good, original bands before Nirvana and after.
so i&#39;m asking, "what exactly did Nirvana do other than making good albums, like any other band?"

please don&#39;t come to me with that, "new sound" crap. [/b][/quote]
They gave guys who couldn&#39;t play guitar hope&#33;

Jayhawk
07-10-2003, 05:02 AM
I am not much for Nirvana listened to them to much back in the day

brotherdoobie
07-10-2003, 07:58 AM
You just dont get it..........That&#39;s o.k.
Taste is something you have or dont have :P

Peace brotherdoobie B)

Afronaut
07-10-2003, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Snowdog@10 July 2003 - 03:33

True &#33; And all those guys who couldnt play started bitching for the guys who could play, like ppl will "unlearn" what they knew.
It was sad times, yet rather funny... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Cheers:
-GS-

N£MO
07-10-2003, 08:20 AM
Originally posted by insanebassman@9 July 2003 - 18:05
Kurt Kaboom:

I would like to nominate his activity for Best Use Of A Bullet catagory.
:lol: :lol: ...it would get my vote.

Celerystalksme
07-10-2003, 02:43 PM
My tribute to Kurt Cobain...It&#39;s sad how people have no respect for the dead...

http://www.chinkii.com/uploads/album/misc/024_AC045.jpg

sparsely
07-10-2003, 03:49 PM
I didn&#39;t really have any respect for him when he was alive.
Now it&#39;s just easier not to care.
When Nevermind came out I was still listening to the Geto Boys,
Ice Cube, and that kind of thing. I didn&#39;t care for it.
Then Dr. Dre came out with The Chronic, followed by Snoop&#39;s Doggystyle CD...
together which brought rap to the mainstream. Then it was time for me to get off
that particular train.
Blah. The good stuff always lies in more obscure corners, until a bunch of people realize
it, then it gets diluted by popularity.

Rhydian66
07-10-2003, 09:12 PM
Good point well made Sparsely.

TheDave
07-10-2003, 09:28 PM
why respect a smackhead who shot himself, its depressing how so many idolise him

brotherdoobie
07-10-2003, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Celerystalksme@10 July 2003 - 09:43
My tribute to Kurt Cobain...It&#39;s sad how people have no respect for the dead...

http://www.chinkii.com/uploads/album/misc/024_AC045.jpg
Nice Celery............ :)

Peace brotherdoobie B)

brotherdoobie
07-10-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by TheDave@10 July 2003 - 16:28
why respect a smackhead who shot himself, its depressing how so many idolise him
We all have our problems dave.
Nirvana was a great band.
Nirvana Unplugged shows what they were capable of and a new direction
that they were heading.

I was pissed for along time that Kurt decided to take the easy way out
and left before he realy showed what he could do.

Who are we to judge a man for his pain?

Peace brotherdoobie B)

brotherdoobie
07-10-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Guitar-Slinger+10 July 2003 - 03:15--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Guitar-Slinger @ 10 July 2003 - 03:15)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Snowdog@10 July 2003 - 03:33

True &#33; And all those guys who couldnt play started bitching for the guys who could play, like ppl will "unlearn" what they knew.
Cheers:
-GS- [/b][/quote]
Hey GS Whats up?
I think thats a matter of opinion(differnt styles)

I have played drums for 16 years now and been in numerous bands
and played with alot of guitar players who didnt know when enough was enough.

I enjoyed shreders..........but it was time for a change
and for what it&#39;s worth we all needed a breath of fresh air.

Peace brotherdoobie

mogadishu
07-10-2003, 10:33 PM
I agree that nirvana was blown way out of proportion, but I think that they were a good band.. and deserved to be only as famous as dave grohls new band.. the foo fighters. I for one like the foo fighters are much better and grohls voice is much more enjoyable than cobains. But then again, I enjoy Family Guy better than the Simpsons, but I gotta but the Simpsons ahead of family guy cus they started it all. I wouldn&#39;t say that Nirvana started it all, but they were one of the first to bring grunge to the mainstream and keep it there.

sparsely
07-10-2003, 10:41 PM
bringing things to the mainstream is not necessarily a good thing <_<

mogadishu
07-10-2003, 11:22 PM
In the end it isn&#39;t, but if they bring it into the mainstream by making it good, Im all for it. I don&#39;t mean commercialize it and have mtv carry you all the way, i mean putting at good music. hope that clears things up.

Celerystalksme
07-11-2003, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Sparsely@11 July 2003 - 08:41
bringing things to the mainstream is not necessarily a good thing <_<
It is so sad how people ditch bands cause they are so called *mainstream*

I wish those people would just crawl back into their underground holes never to see the light of day...

Ad
07-11-2003, 07:58 AM
Those people wouldn&#39;t even know what underground means

Celerystalksme
07-11-2003, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by adthomp@11 July 2003 - 17:58
Those people wouldn&#39;t even know what underground means
Like the people in the underground hip-hop room in soulseek

Underground my ass...Never knew Bone Thugs or Dre were underground...

Afronaut
07-11-2003, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by brotherdoobie+10 July 2003 - 22:53--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (brotherdoobie &#064; 10 July 2003 - 22:53)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Guitar-Slinger@10 July 2003 - 03:15
<!--QuoteBegin-Snowdog@10 July 2003 - 03:33

Cheers:
-GS-
Hey GS Whats up?
I think thats a matter of opinion(differnt styles)

I have played drums for 16 years now and been in numerous bands
and played with alot of guitar players who didnt know when enough was enough.

I enjoyed shreders..........but it was time for a change
and for what it&#39;s worth we all needed a breath of fresh air.

Peace brotherdoobie[/b][/quote]

Yeah, its a matter of opinion, or a taste, like anything related to the music.
I was trying to be a bit funny there but... lol
I got one example story here:
Back in -96 or so i was playing in the local band, we did only of cover-songs,
top-40 stuff so to speak, mostly pop songs etc.
Anyways, after one gig, this dude walks up to me, starts bitching about the solos
i was playing, too fast and too technical. He was a bit younger fella, been playing for
couple of years and totally into the "mainstream" alternative music at the time.
Just like i was, im no huge fan of Nirvana but i do like the alternative music,
i like also Pearl Jam and Temple of the Dog etc.
I had to sit down with him and talk about it
as its not often you get really negative feedback, usually ppl just walks away ;)
My point for him was this:
I&#39;ve been using a lot of time developing different technics of guitar-playing,
started early and as I learned more i wanted to learn more, it kinda grows on you.
Im still trying to learn new stuff, as there&#39;s so much to learn, always.
So, if im capable of playing so called "technical-stuff", and the mainstream of music
is going to the direction where that is not appreciated, should i stop playing
or change the way i play?. Answer is clearly NO in my mind. It would be a waste.

It&#39;s about evolution, you learn to play, eventually you either stop playing, or you gonna
continue to play and learn more.
Sometimes i think that the really talented guys usually end up playing Jazz
as they dont get their kicks out of 3 to 5-chord rock&#39;n&#39;roll anymore. Same kinda thing is
happening to me also, after playing over 20 years, normal barre-chord in guitar is
starting to sound a bit dull, even tho it has its places, but it just more interesting for me to play a,
lets say E-13 chord in some places, and learn when i can play it etc. 13- chords wont fit in any Nirvana or
Metallica song too well but it has its places too. :P
Playing fast is cool, but its also only ONE of the technics of playing, like fingerpicking, or whammy-bar
or tapping, there is many different ways to play and its extrememely important to know when
not to play fast as pauses in the music is very important too, like the right note in the right place.
One cant shred away through all the solos or the songs, its utterly boring.

But, it wasnt so much fun back in -90&#39;s to be a guy who wanted to play a lot and
"show off" a bit. I had my share of explaining to do for this "Nirvana" guys
(yeah, we use to call &#39;em that) and im kinda glad i did, but i sometimes i wish i
had a F.A.Q. about guitar-playing with me on the road, its as boring as its here in
the board to explain same things over and over again.
Recently the attitude has been changing towards more "player-friendly" and i cant remember the last time
someone was complaining that i was playing too much, too well, too fast etc.
Generally speaking, if someone is taking the time to learn how to play, or paint,
or picking up any kind of hobby, i think we should encourage them to continue so and
not bitch about some stoopid stuff like different tastes, especially with
really weak point of view as "its no cool nor the hip thing to be able to play", we all got a different taste,
thats a fact, not a fiction. :ph34r:
:P :D :lol:

Sincerely:
-Guitar-Slinger-

sparsely
07-11-2003, 09:37 PM
It is so sad how people ditch bands cause they are so called *mainstream*

I wish those people would just crawl back into their underground holes never to see the light of day...

Souls for sale, to the highest bidder&#33;
To break through these days, a compromise must take place.
The music must be made "accessible" to to more people...so now, instead of making
the music that you like to make, you&#39;re crafting your work to target an audience, Miller Lite
has their ads all over your concerts, etc. even though they&#39;ve never paid the artist a dime....
anyway, there&#39;s nothing inherently wrong with being popular or going mainstream.
If I was a recording artist, I would be difficult to resist, especially since, for them, it&#39;s
what puts food on the table. But hell, some of the most talented bands going won&#39;t have
a song any Top40 radio station. Because mainstream music is, in retrospect, like fads.
It was cool then, cause everyone was doing it, but when you look back it&#39;s like "What the
fuck was I thinking?".

RGX
07-11-2003, 11:24 PM
People are so desperate to be underground, that underground becomes mainstream.......

Listen, because im going to say something that i have learnt on my few happy years on this earth:

Listen to what you want. Who the fuck cares if it happens to be something someone else enjoys. The people that laugh at your music choices are the ones that are insecure, and chances are, they secretly like it too. Eveeryone is entitled to their opinion, yet making someone feel bad because they enjoy something labeled as "mainstream" by people who consider themselves hardcore underground "anti-popularity" is just out of order to the extreme. I dont like bands like S club 7 or Steps, but if a million kids go out and buy their records, who am I to say their wrong?

there now

sparsely
07-12-2003, 09:02 AM
/me thinks some people are still sore about nSync breakin up.

MagicNakor
07-12-2003, 09:06 AM
What if people laugh at your music choices because they are truly laughable? ;)

:ninja:

RGX
07-12-2003, 10:58 AM
/me thinks we should all grow up