PDA

View Full Version : Office Xp Professional

LTJBukem
07-09-2003, 03:01 PM
Having installed Office XP 2002 with FrontPage that i downloaded through KLite, i am having problems installing Service Pack 1.

Is this to do with not having the original cd, since this is required during set up. I have copied the installation files to cd but it doesn't work.

Product: Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage -- Error 1328. Error applying patch to file c:\Config.Msi\PT190.tmp. It has probably been updated by other means, and can no longer be modified by this patch. For more information contact your patch vendor. System Error: -1072807676

Does anyone have any ideas? BTW i'm on dial up so i'd rather not download a different version.

shn
07-09-2003, 03:28 PM
I had the problem too. Youll never be able to download service pack one with any office xp file you get off kazaa unless you download an iso and burn it to a disk.

I have no desire anyway to download sp1 for office because it works just fine. Set aside from the security risk that reside in outlook express, but I dont use that garbage anyway.

Wolfmight
07-09-2003, 09:19 PM
download the office xp ISO... then extract the contents with WinISO, burn them to a CD with Nero.. it should with that Office xp disk now

LTJBukem
07-09-2003, 10:31 PM
Thanks to both of you for answers. I am tempted to just say screw the service packs; being the perfectionist that i am however i can't rest easy.

Is there no work around for this. I did find this site (http://pages.sbcglobal.net/raew/xp/offxp.htm) but it says it will only work for the Enterprise/Corporate edition of Office XP.

I don't seem able to find an OfficeXP ISO by searching with KazzaLite.

Does anyone have any idea whether one is readily available, if so what exactly should i be searching for.

Thanks again.

balamm
07-10-2003, 02:07 AM
I've posted this before some where but, What you need to do is install it in terminal services mode due to an MS patch that hides office1.cab .

Copy the entire CD to a folder on the desktop and download the 2 service packs from the MS download center to that same folder. There is a command to slipstream them but I don't have that right now.
Go to add remove programs and choose add new programs / from CD or floppy / browse to the folder with the service packs and office XP/ click on the setup.exe .
when it's finished, do the same with the 2 service packs. If you get the already updated notice, click ignore. If it can't find office1.cab , uninstall office XP and use this method to reinstall it.

LTJBukem
07-17-2003, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by balamm@ 10 July 2003 - 03:07
I've posted this before some where but, What you need to do is install it in terminal services mode due to an MS patch that hides office1.cab .

Copy the entire CD to a folder on the desktop and download the 2 service packs from the MS download center to that same folder. There is a command to slipstream them but I don't have that right now.
Go to add remove programs and choose add new programs / from CD or floppy / browse to the folder with the service packs and office XP/ click on the setup.exe .
when it's finished, do the same with the 2 service packs. If you get the already updated notice, click ignore. If it can't find office1.cab , uninstall office XP and use this method to reinstall it.
Thanks for advice. I tried what you said but it didn't work, for me at least. I did as you said, except since i downloaded the Office XP files through Kazaa Lite i couldn't copy the cd, i copied the downloaded files.

It did stop the installer asking me for the installation cd, however i still get this error message when i try to install SP1:-

Product: Microsoft Office XP Professional with FrontPage -- Error 1328. Error applying patch to file c:\Config.Msi\PT190.tmp. It has probably been updated by other means, and can no longer be modified by this patch. For more information contact your patch vendor. System Error: -1072807676
Is there anyway i can overcome this?? Balamm, do you know how to 'slipstream' the installation?? I'd be very, very grateful....

RobGee
07-21-2003, 04:33 PM
You need to do a search for notorious networks ... and they walk you through adding Sp1 and Sp2 through a ADMIN update. The steps are all lined out in simple english and I have done it and have no problems now with my Office XP Pro with Frontpage from K-lite?

Now I can go to Office Update and it treats me like I bought Office Xp off of Microsoft. K-lite is the best ... if you can't get it here ... wait a few days ... and it will be here!!!

Good luck!!! B)

shn
07-21-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by RobGee@21 July 2003 - 10:33
You need to do a search for notorious networks ... and they walk you through adding Sp1 and Sp2 through a ADMIN update. The steps are all lined out in simple english and I have done it and have no problems now with my Office XP Pro with Frontpage from K-lite?

Now I can go to Office Update and it treats me like I bought Office Xp off of Microsoft. K-lite is the best ... if you can't get it here ... wait a few days ... and it will be here!!!

Good luck!!! B)
Yep its all here at their site. Heres the link. Im about to try it now.

http://notorious.dezines.com/notorious/art...icles/index.htm (http://notorious.dezines.com/notorious/articles/index.htm)

LTJBukem
07-21-2003, 07:32 PM
Thanks RobGee. That page though says:-

This alternative method only works with the Enterprise/Corporate edition of Office XP......and i have Office XP Professional with Frontpage. Does this work with Professional? Is Pro the same as COrp.
shn, let me know how you get on please. Thanks again RobGee.

shn
07-21-2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by LTJBukem@21 July 2003 - 13:32
Thanks RobGee. That page though says:-

This alternative method only works with the Enterprise/Corporate edition of Office XP......and i have Office XP Professional with Frontpage. Does this work with Professional? Is Pro the same as COrp.
shn, let me know how you get on please. Thanks again RobGee.
Things arent looking too good over here. <_< I tried it and the first service pack installed correctly.................or did it <_< ? The problem now is that even though I didnt get any errors after installing the sp1 when I go to the about box under help menu in any of my office xp applications it doesnt say office xp sp1. And the sp2 just didnt install at all. I think your right. Maybe this method wont work with office xp with frontpage. :angry:

Oh well, thanks for the advice though Robgee :)

LTJBukem
07-21-2003, 10:10 PM
Hi shn. Thanks for that. Did you see this. (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315152).

* Although the Windows Installer Setup log file reports version
10.0.2627.0, the actual installed version is 10.0.2627.01. The log file
reports the following: "PropertyŠ: ProductVersion = 10.0.2627.0". This
version is incorrect.

To resolve this problem and install SP-1, you must purchase a retail edition of Microsoft Office XP (which displays an Office hologram). Only a retail version of Office XP can be updated. Beta or unreleased versions cannot be updated to SP-1.
In other words, the installer knows we&#39;re using a dodgy copy :D Oh well. I&#39;ve got a copy of 2000Pro SR1 on discs, think i&#39;ll just keep that.

That&#39;s a shame though. To anyone considering downloading OfficeXP Professional with Frontpage - 395mb, don&#39;t bother. I&#39;d be too worried about security to use it.

balamm
07-21-2003, 10:41 PM
When you get that message about already being updated, click ignore after 1 retry. There are other patches that do the same thing so it&#39;s likely it has already been applied. It may be an SQL update, SQL is included in OfficeXP with FrontPage along with some other protocols for office networking. If you don&#39;t use those features then security shouldn&#39;t be a problem.
It shouldn&#39;t matter if you have the install on CD or not as long as the install folder doesn&#39;t change between the initial OfficeXP install and the updates. You might need to uninstall and then reinstall complete from a desktop folder, apply the service packs from the same folder and then archive the folder for future updates. You can put the folder back onto the desktop when you need it.

I haven&#39;t looked for the slip command but if I recall, It was something like c:> -s [file to apply] /[target]

LTJBukem
07-21-2003, 11:08 PM
When you get that message about already being updated, click ignore after 1 retry. There are other patches that do the same thing so it&#39;s likely it has already been applied. It may be an SQL update, SQL is included in OfficeXP with FrontPage along with some other protocols for office networking. If you don&#39;t use those features then security shouldn&#39;t be a problem.
It shouldn&#39;t matter if you have the install on CD or not as long as the install folder doesn&#39;t change between the initial OfficeXP install and the updates. You might need to uninstall and then reinstall complete from a desktop folder, apply the service packs from the same folder and then archive the folder for future updates. You can put the folder back onto the desktop when you need it.

I haven&#39;t looked for the slip command but if I recall, It was something like c:> -s [file to apply] /[target]

Thanks Balamm. I had tried installing from a folder on the desktop, and the installer didn&#39;t ask for the cdrom, but SP1 wouldn&#39;t install.

So if i can&#39;t install SP1 after retrying once, should i try and install SP2? Does OfficeXP Professional with Frontpage maybe contain SP1?

Are Office service packs like windows, in that sp2 would supercede sp1?

Thanks for your time.

balamm
07-21-2003, 11:14 PM
You may have gotten an integrated SP1 copy and the two service packs are independant products although 1 must be applied first. All you can do is try it.

When you&#39;ve applied all you can, go to the office update center and do a scan.

The web components aren&#39;t really needed again unless you network with office.
It should show the serice packs as already applied.

chalkmongoose
07-22-2003, 02:25 AM
I use OpenOffice.org with no issues at all, so I guess that solves my need for sp1 or 2...

RobGee
07-22-2003, 04:08 AM
Friends ... I have done it on the d/l Office XP with Frontpage from on here. It works ... but you must follow the directions exactly. In fact it is the Office XP with FrontPage with the "famous" Serial # that the whole world knows about ... you know the one that starts with FM9FY- and so on. :rolleyes:

Trust me it works ... but you must follow their directions step by step ... exactly. Don&#39;t do anything different ... I have done it on several machines and they all are working like I paid &#036;500 for Office XP on each&#33; B) B) B)

Here is the link again:

http://notorious.dezines.com/notorious/art...icles/index.htm (http://notorious.dezines.com/notorious/articles/index.htm)

balamm
07-22-2003, 04:21 AM
This a similar slipstreaming article to the XP CORP and Office XP ones. The switches should be the same.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=258868

If you try to "slipstream" a Windows 2000 service pack into a CD-ROM-based image on a Remote Installation Service (RIS) server by using the update -s:path_to_image command, you may receive the following error message:

An error has occurred copying files from the Service Pack share to the distribution folder.

chalkmongoose
07-22-2003, 05:27 AM
Originally posted by RobGee@22 July 2003 - 04:08
Friends ... I have done it on the d/l Office XP with Frontpage from on here. It works ... but you must follow the directions exactly. In fact it is the Office XP with FrontPage with the "famous" Serial # that the whole world knows about ... you know the one that starts with FM9FY- and so on. :rolleyes:

Trust me it works ... but you must follow their directions step by step ... exactly. Don&#39;t do anything different ... I have done it on several machines and they all are working like I paid &#036;500 for Office XP on each&#33; B) B) B)

Here is the link again:

Which article did you browse? &#39;Cause one of the reasons I gave up on MSOffice was for a lack of being able to update Service Packs.

RobGee
07-22-2003, 05:16 PM
The article is entitled "How to update Office XP to SP-1 when Service Pack installer fails. " Click on the link then it will ask you to download a file ... d/l it and save it or just open it and print it out and follow the instructions exactly.

By the way there are two articles and you need the one dated Dec 15/01 not the one dated Sep 28/02 (non admin method for SP-2). Good luck all&#33;&#33;&#33; ;)

shn
07-22-2003, 05:43 PM
Weve tried that and it didnt work. I think what ill do is install openoffice since Im familiar with that anyway because I use it on linux. Also sun has a office suite out too but its in beta. Its called sun office. What I will do though is just install frontpage from the installer and nothing else. There are just too many security risk with outlook, and I have bug problems with word sometimes since I cant get the service packs installed.

RobGee
07-23-2003, 02:28 PM
As I have mentioned ... I have d/l the admin from Microsoft site and followed the steps EXACTLY ... and have loaded it on at least three machines without a problem.

You are probably doing something out of sequence if you are experiencing problems. In fact I have done it twice on my desktop because I have just had to put a new HD after it crashed and went bad.

I can only give you the link again and ask you to try to again using a folder called "OFFICE" to establish the setup files. You do have to have the Office XP CD in your CD Rom and just follow the instructions exactly.

Good luck and I hope those of you who like Office XP ... don&#39;t give up ... print out the instructions and follow them step by step.

http://notorious.dezines.com/notorious/art...icles/index.htm :o

shn
07-23-2003, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by RobGee@23 July 2003 - 08:28
As I have mentioned ... I have d/l the admin from Microsoft site and followed the steps EXACTLY ... and have loaded it on at least three machines without a problem.

You are probably doing something out of sequence if you are experiencing problems.&nbsp; In fact I have done it twice on my desktop because I have just had to put a new HD after it crashed and went bad.

I can only give you the link again and ask you to try to again using a folder called "OFFICE" to establish the setup files.&nbsp; You do have to have the Office XP CD in your CD Rom and just follow the instructions exactly.

Good luck and I hope those of you who like Office XP ... don&#39;t give up ... print out the instructions and follow them step by step.

http://notorious.dezines.com/notorious/art...icles/index.htm&nbsp; :o

You never said we had to have the office xp cd in the cd rom. Most of the people looking to install the service packs have a downloaded copy of office xp and therefore no cd. And you even implicated yourself that you had that same version of office xp off kazaa that mostly a lot of other people had. And if we had the cd then obviously we wouldnt have a downloaded version now would we? <_<

Friends ... I have done it on the d/l Office XP with Frontpage from on here. It works ... but you must follow the directions exactly. In fact it is the Office XP with FrontPage with the "famous" Serial # that the whole world knows about ... you know the one that starts with FM9FY- and so on.&nbsp;

Trust me it works ... but you must follow their directions step by step ... exactly. Don&#39;t do anything different ... I have done it on several machines and they all are working like I paid &#036;500 for Office XP on each&#33;&nbsp; &nbsp;

So how would you have the cd if you got that downloaded version :huh:

RobGee
07-23-2003, 09:35 PM
After I d/l the copy from here ... then you burn it to a cd. If you dont know how or want to then all you have to do is copy it to a file on your HD and then have it point to the file when it asks for it. Just follow the directions EXACTLY in the notorious website instructions. So sorry if I have been "hard " to understand ... I am new to this forum stuff. Charge it to my head ... not my heart&#33; :(

shn
07-23-2003, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by RobGee@23 July 2003 - 15:35
After I d/l the copy from here ... then you burn it to a cd. If you dont know how or want to then all you have to do is copy it to a file on your HD and then have it point to the file when it asks for it. Just follow the directions EXACTLY in the notorious website instructions. So sorry if I have been "hard " to understand ... I am new to this forum stuff. Charge it to my head ... not my heart&#33; :(
I didnt mean to offend you or be rude if it seemed like I was being that way then I apologize. ;)

LTJBukem
07-23-2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by RobGee+ 23 July 2003 - 22:35 --></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (RobGee &#064; 23 July 2003 - 22:35 )</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>After I d/l the copy from here ... then you burn it to a cd. If you dont know how or want to then all you have to do is copy it to a file on your HD and then have it point to the file when it asks for it. Just follow the directions EXACTLY in the notorious website instructions. So sorry if I have been "hard " to understand ... I am new to this forum stuff. Charge it to my head ... not my heart&#33;[/b]
Aah bless :) Don&#39;t worry about it mate.

Thing is though (and what shn is getting at), the version of OfficeXP we are all talking about is an exe file not an ISO. Therefore, whether it is burned to cd or saved in explorer will not make any difference. Of course, this does not mean that your advice will not work. Just that, burning an exe to cd is pointless.

I thank you for your continuing advice, although i must admit i haven&#39;t tried it yet. To be honest, i was waiting to see if shn could get it to work. By the sounds of it, our friend is losing his rag a bit, so i&#39;m not getting my hopes up.

I have Office 2000 pro sr-1 installed anyway, of which i do have an iso. Maybe this weekend i&#39;ll try it out, this week though i&#39;ve had too much else to do. I&#39;d like to get the new Office working, if only because it took me so bloody long to download it (56k&#33;).

Thanks Rob, and shn for being my research assistant :lol: . Cheers to you both.

ps.
<!--QuoteBegin-RobGee@ 23 July 2003 - 22:35
Charge it to my head ... not my heart&#33; [/quote]
What nationality are you mate? I really like this.

RobGee
07-24-2003, 03:18 AM
I was born and raised in Brooklyn, NY (USA) and I am a Puerto Rican by nationality/race. So I guess that makes me an American New Yorican (lol)

By the way ... I was not offended ... it will take more than a K-lite forum to get me all riled up ... I am sorry if I mislead anyone. It wasn&#39;t my intention.

Blessings to all ... and may the good winds of p2ping always be blowing with you and not against you&#33;

B) ;) B)

CPU1
07-24-2003, 03:04 PM
i had this problem too. im fact i spent some hours tying to see what cause it. the reason that i think this was happening was because the version from kazaa isnt one that can have sp applied if u look at the build number