PDA

View Full Version : Incompletes on Verizon

uggabugga
10-03-2007, 02:52 AM
my usenet feeds thru verizon have been very good in the past, but for the last few days i've had to dump 80% of what i began downloading due to a high percentage of incompletes.
is anyone else having trouble with Verizon DSL?

wickedsick
10-03-2007, 03:15 AM
just repair the file using quik par (http://www.quickpar.org.uk/)

uggabugga
10-03-2007, 04:09 AM
can't. way too many incompletes.

Beck38
10-03-2007, 12:28 PM
ISP usenet services (an oxymoron?) have, and in general continue to be, pretty lame historically.

Get thee to a 'premium' server service; if you, from your usage level, don't need/want a full blown top-flight server (Giganews, et. al.), then get some block accounts to use for 'fills' and start chasing the parts you need/want. Astraweb is pretty good, and there are a couple of others like Usenet-News and Newsdome, but the number of places offering block accounts has almost dropped off the map in the last several years.

Most folks simply 'pay the man' up front.

wickedsick
10-03-2007, 09:38 PM
'pay the news-man':01:

can't. way too many incompletes.
have u even tried repairing them? download the pars and repair or use less connections

uggabugga
10-04-2007, 01:07 AM
ISP usenet services (an oxymoron?) have, and in general continue to be, pretty lame historically.

Get thee to a 'premium' server service; if you, from your usage level, don't need/want a full blown top-flight server (Giganews, et. al.), then get some block accounts to use for 'fills' and start chasing the parts you need/want. Astraweb is pretty good, and there are a couple of others like Usenet-News and Newsdome, but the number of places offering block accounts has almost dropped off the map in the last several years.

Most folks simply 'pay the man' up front.

hmm. well, i may have to do that, but i'd rather not. i've had usenet service thru verizon since december 2003, and up until now i've been happy with it- very little problem with incomplete posts, and they don't seem to mind that i'm d/ling 10-20 Gb / day on average.

have u even tried repairing them? download the pars and repair or use less connections

you apparently think i'm stupid or something? when 90+ % of the files are incomplete, there just aren't enough pars to complete the posts!
if there were, i wouldn't be here bitching :frusty:

SgtMajor
10-04-2007, 02:05 AM
Has the file(s) been posted in other groups per chance?

If you post the filename, maybe I can find some extra PARs?

rippinitup4fun
10-04-2007, 02:22 AM
I know you would rather not switch to a paying server but you are missing out on a lot of content. Verizon dropped many high volume binary groups and is not adding any new groups. There are many cheap alternatives. Usenetserver being one of them, only 14.95 USD for unlimited with 101 day retention (much more VIA nzb) and a great completion rate. Also there are block account providers like beck mentioned that could help ya if the incompletes continue.

n18
10-04-2007, 02:23 AM

Most folks simply 'pay the man' up front. Although I'm sure ISP usenet generally are rubbish, I am very satisfied with Road Runner usenet. Maxes out my connection 1.2mb/s and retention is quite decent too, oldest file i downloaded was 60 days old but retention could be longer ( 60 days is as far as i needed to go )

wickedsick
10-04-2007, 04:33 AM
have u even tried repairing them? download the pars and repair or use less connectionsyou apparently think i'm stupid or something? when 90+ % of the files are incomplete, there just aren't enough pars to complete the posts!
FOOL dont talk shit to people who are trying to help you:01:

mesaman
10-04-2007, 06:46 PM
My ISP server 'news.qwest.net' has spotty completion but I have several free servers set at lower priority, and they automatically fill in the holes. I don't even know which server the multiparts came from unless I look at the download stats.

uggabugga
10-05-2007, 04:54 AM
Has the file(s) been posted in other groups per chance?

If you post the filename, maybe I can find some extra PARs?

thanks for the offer, but in cases where the post in question has gone out to multiple groups, they're incomplete on all the groups they were posted to. in the worst cases, every file larger than ~5 Mb is incomplete, including par files.

it looks as if this was a tempororary glitch on verizon's behalf though, since files posted since last night are back to normal [not incompletes].

you apparently think i'm stupid or something? when 90+ % of the files are incomplete, there just aren't enough pars to complete the posts!

i made it quite clear that the problem was not that i was too ignorant to use par files, yet you just kept blithering like an idiot.
if i wanted help from an idiot, i'd ask my neighbor :dry:

I know you would rather not switch to a paying server but you are missing out on a lot of content. Verizon dropped many high volume binary groups and is not adding any new groups. There are many cheap alternatives. Usenetserver being one of them, only 14.95 USD for unlimited with 101 day retention (much more VIA nzb) and a great completion rate. Also there are block account providers like beck mentioned that could help ya if the incompletes continue.

wow, i may have to look into usenetserver.com again - i tried them out 3-4 years ago for 30 bucks a month and they had a terrible problem with incompletes, so i dumped them. unlimited downloads you say?

wickedsick
10-05-2007, 05:56 PM
thanks for the offer, but in cases where the post in question has gone out to multiple groups, they're incomplete on all the groups they were posted to. in the worst cases, every file larger than ~5 Mb is incomplete, including par files.

it looks as if this was a tempororary glitch on verizon's behalf though, since files posted since last night are back to normal [not incompletes].

i made it quite clear that the problem was not that i was too ignorant to use par files, yet you just kept blithering like an idiot.
if i wanted help from an idiot, i'd ask my neighbor :dry:

:shutup:

Racket
10-07-2007, 01:35 PM
Please no drama in the newsgroups section. This is not Bittorrent.

rippinitup4fun
10-16-2007, 09:38 PM
wow, i may have to look into usenetserver.com again - i tried them out 3-4 years ago for 30 bucks a month and they had a terrible problem with incompletes, so i dumped them. unlimited downloads you say?

Yes unlimited and also free 256bit SSL encryption. The best bang for the buck IMHO. I have not had any problems with incompletes I have been using them for almost 1 year ;)

http://www.usenetserver.com?agent=filesharingtalk (http://www.usenetserver.com/?agent=filesharingtalk)

Give them a try you will not regret it.

dutchmaster420
10-19-2007, 08:41 AM
im using verizons service but with fios not dsl...no problems here

speeds are great also

uggabugga
11-01-2007, 07:46 AM
verizon seems to go thru down-periods extending from about the 20th to the 24th of any given month.

outside of that, and the 7 day [apprrox] retension time, i guess i cant complain too much.

QstorM
11-03-2007, 08:55 PM
I've had the same problem the last three weeks or so. I've been using torrents again because of it. Usually missing like 18 blocks lmao it's ridiculous.

mesaman
11-20-2007, 05:02 PM
im using verizons service but with fios not dsl...no problems hereIf you have added a second news server at lower priority to automatically fill in the holes, which server are you using as a fill server and what is your ratio of bytes from Verizon's news server/bytes from the secondary fill server?

uggabugga
11-20-2007, 10:48 PM
I've had the same problem the last three weeks or so. I've been using torrents again because of it. Usually missing like 18 blocks lmao it's ridiculous.

does it seem to you like it's gotten worse lately? it does to me..

time to bite the bullet and go fork over the money for a premium server, i guess :pinch: