PDA

View Full Version : Virus: Simply Downloading An Infecting File

slick nick
07-10-2003, 06:12 AM
I'm curious is the simple act of downloading the infected file enough for it to spread or is it when you open a zip, exe, jpg, etc?

adamp2p
07-10-2003, 06:22 AM
Hardwareworld? Huh?

slick nick
07-10-2003, 06:31 AM
it infects your drives no? it's not a software issue or kazaa related. This is the right place for it. :D

ilw
07-10-2003, 07:26 AM
Its software i think. But the file would have to run on your computer to do anything.

Cl1mh4224rd
07-10-2003, 07:29 AM
Yes, you need to execute the infected file for the virus to spread.

Point of clarification, though... "infected" image files can not replicate on their own, just by opening them. For a virus to be spread through an image, you need to already have the "infector" running on your system. The "infector" is an executable just like any other virus. If you don't have this running, and you view an "infected" image, it'll just look really crappy.

S7r3etR4c3r
07-10-2003, 07:50 AM
Wrong, I have had Norton pop up and say I have a virus as soon as Ive started to download something

I.am
07-10-2003, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by S7r3etR4c3r@10 July 2003 - 02:50
Wrong, I have had Norton pop up and say I have a virus as soon as Ive started to download something
Nope he is right. Norton and other good virus scanners like McAfee check inside the exe file for viruses, trojans etc. Just downloading them doesnt mean the virus is spread. You have to run the file to have the actual program to run which in this case is a virus.

pen_n_paper
07-10-2003, 07:58 AM
Of Course downloading viruses doesn't infect your computer. I've got 20 right here :P

*Don't tick me lol

imtoshort
07-10-2003, 08:00 AM
i wonder why he asks....do you want to infect your school or sumtin? man..thats what i am going to do.... :D :lol: :P

pen_n_paper
07-10-2003, 08:10 AM
lol i got busted twice for inserting viruses into the School compters...but then they didn't catch me the 3 other times :o

slick nick
07-10-2003, 09:18 AM
This isn't really a software issue but whatever. i asked due to me wanting to set up something that automatically accepts sends on irc so i don't have to wait or miss it if it comes and i'm away. this way i can delete any shit that happens to be sent while i'm away that i didn't request. though mcafee and norton put the kibosh on infected files before you get them remember if it detected the warez had a virus then your system was exposed to it you just didn't get the chance to open the exe or whatever form it was in. thanks all. I guess the mods figure it wouldn't get any attention in hardwareworld.

Cl1mh4224rd
07-10-2003, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by slick nick@10 July 2003 - 10:18
This isn't really a software issue but whatever.
Of course it is. Viruses are software. Viruses infect other software. They do not infect the hard drive itself; that's impossible. IRC is software.

What about this topic, exactly, do you think does not relate to software?

Storm
07-10-2003, 01:06 PM
well i have heard of email bein sent that execute a command on dling it from ur server, 2 get arond Lotus Notes security, so i dun c y it couldnt b done when dlin wit some dl manager......

slick nick
07-10-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Cl1mh4224rd+10 July 2003 - 10:27--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Cl1mh4224rd @ 10 July 2003 - 10:27)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-slick nick@10 July 2003 - 10:18
This isn&#39;t really a software issue but whatever.
Of course it is. Viruses are software. Viruses infect other software. They do not infect the hard drive itself; that&#39;s impossible. IRC is software.

What about this topic, exactly, do you think does not relate to software? [/b][/quote]
my bad cliff since it&#39;s usually detected on the vc drive i looked at it as a hardware issue. you&#39;re right it can&#39;t infect hardware only software files.

Cl1mh4224rd
07-11-2003, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by Storm@10 July 2003 - 14:06
well i have heard of email bein sent that execute a command on dling it from ur server, 2 get arond Lotus Notes security, so i dun c y it couldnt b done when dlin wit some dl manager......
That&#39;s because of the super-gay way Outlook and Outlook Express used to handle email containing VBScript. It&#39;s not the same for downloading an executable file, unless, somehow, you have your browser set to automatically open files upon completion...

...and if you do, you deserve much worse than a simple virus. <_<

shn
07-12-2003, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by Cl1mh4224rd@10 July 2003 - 01:29
Yes, you need to execute the infected file for the virus to spread.

Point of clarification, though... "infected" image files can not replicate on their own, just by opening them. For a virus to be spread through an image, you need to already have the "infector" running on your system. The "infector" is an executable just like any other virus. If you don&#39;t have this running, and you view an "infected" image, it&#39;ll just look really crappy.
A large percentage of viruses do not have to be executed before they can do the damage. Especially with maliscious script files, vbscript, javascript, etc.

And as for windows, sometimes it allows the execution of code without the users knowledge or permission mostly when using internet explorer.

The best thing to do is to have an antivirus agent running in the background as a system service so it can stop whatever type of virus it is right in its tracks.

Cl1mh4224rd
07-14-2003, 06:44 AM
Originally posted by shn@12 July 2003 - 04:18
A large percentage of viruses do not have to be executed before they can do the damage.&nbsp; Especially with maliscious script files, vbscript, javascript, etc.

And as for windows, sometimes it allows the execution of code without the users knowledge or permission mostly when using internet explorer.

The best thing to do is to have an antivirus agent running in the background as a system service so it can stop whatever type of virus it is right in its tracks.
Yes, but that&#39;s not a "global feature" of viruses. It&#39;s lack of security in the software people [continue to] use that creates this problem. Exactly the reason I steered away from IE a long time ago, turned off HTML rendering in OE, end even just recently ditched that.