PDA

View Full Version : When vegetables steam

Skweeky
10-08-2007, 08:10 PM
... is it the water inside them vaporating or is it just the heating of the air around them or something else?

:huh:

I beleive.....
10-08-2007, 08:53 PM
Some people call it nature :P

hippychick
10-08-2007, 09:22 PM
It's the water you add to the pot that is steaming. There is very little water in some veggies, thats why they scorch when no water is added to the pot. :D

SgtMajor
10-08-2007, 11:13 PM
It's the water you add to the pot that is steaming. There is very little water in some veggies, thats why they scorch when no water is added to the pot. :D

Thanks for that, I now know what I was doing wrong.

weenden
10-08-2007, 11:51 PM
ooohhhh steamed vegatables ooohhhhh fooood mmmmmnnn ...sorry was dreaming

snowultra
10-09-2007, 07:35 PM
vegetables with cheese covering it----now thats yum. oh and salt and pepper for taste

Skweeky
10-09-2007, 08:42 PM
But if you take the veggies out of the water, then they still steam because they're hot

In fact, if you put veggies in the oven, without any water, they still steam

So where is the steam coming from?

100%
10-09-2007, 08:45 PM
@skweeky - try "dumplings" if you want to get into steaming:naughty:

http://www.bfeedme.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/03/Dumplings.jpg

Skweeky
10-09-2007, 08:47 PM
Keep those things away from me

They make my teeth feel hairy

Mr JP Fugley
10-09-2007, 08:48 PM
If they are in a hot dry environment then the steam will come from the vegetables themselves. Where else could it come from.

However if they are in a hot humid environment, like a steamer then the steam comes from the water in the steamer and not in the vegetables. That's why steaming is so healthy, all the goodness is kept in rather than being boiled out.

I just made that up by the way but it sounds about right.

Alien5
10-09-2007, 08:50 PM
in the summer you wont see as much steam as you would in the winter

and you're food goes colder quicker :(

so you have to eat more :)

to keep warm

Biggles
10-09-2007, 09:14 PM
If they are in a hot dry environment then the steam will come from the vegetables themselves. Where else could it come from.

However if they are in a hot humid environment, like a steamer then the steam comes from the water in the steamer and not in the vegetables. That's why steaming is so healthy, all the goodness is kept in rather than being boiled out.

I just made that up by the way but it sounds about right.

I believed it

Steamed veggies taste nicer than boiled. Although obviously deep fried and dipped in chocolate > steamed

AmpeD
10-09-2007, 09:16 PM
its the water around them, or else they would come out looking like prunes

100%
10-09-2007, 09:28 PM
Indeed,
The conclusion so far is that Skweeky, you suck at cooking and you are an embarrassment to your post modern sexist revolution, vegetables sweat,ok.
i meant that in a sweet suated way.
It is nice you try new, i do this every day and it kills me
eat food.

Mr JP Fugley
10-09-2007, 09:35 PM
its the water around them, or else they would come out looking like prunes

How in the name of fuck would a nice lump of broccoli com out looking like a prune. That's mad talk.

hippychick
10-09-2007, 09:43 PM
If you cook veggies in an oven it is dry heat, so the veggies use their own water to steam. Most veggies don't have alot of water in them and the oven will dry them out fast and you'll have burned up veggies with no water in them (yuck)
So if you cook veggies in the oven, put tin foil over the pan to keep the steam the veggies lose, in the pan. They'll still be pretty dried out and gross though.
So get a steamer and steam them, they look and taste better and yes they are better for you, because steaming veggies keep all their vitamins in them.

Mr JP Fugley
10-09-2007, 09:51 PM
If you cook veggies in an oven it is dry heat, so the veggies use their own water to steam. Most veggies don't have alot of water in them and the oven will dry them out fast and you'll have burned up veggies with no water in them (yuck)
So if you cook veggies in the oven, put tin foil over the pan to keep the steam the veggies lose, in the pan. They'll still be pretty dried out and gross though.
So get a steamer and steam them, they look and taste better and yes they are better for you, because steaming veggies keep all their vitamins in them.

That's what I said. :yahoo:

And Happychic knows stuff so it must be right. :01:

Barbarossa
10-10-2007, 08:59 AM
She can probably provide links to get free steamed vegetables, and loads of steaming vegetable jokes too :smilie4:

Gripper
10-10-2007, 09:58 AM
If I eat lots of veg, then poo in the winter in the garden the veggies steam then.

Alien5
10-10-2007, 11:54 AM
why have i got an image in my mind of gripper taking a dump on the lawn?

hippychick
10-10-2007, 12:12 PM
She can probably provide links to get free steamed vegetables, and loads of steaming vegetable jokes too :smilie4:

I didn't find any free veggies, but I did find these :D
Herb garden
http://www.americanheart.org/heartProfiler/patientRegistration.jhtml?_requestid=189573
Free 6.6 lb Bag of Eagle Pack Dog Food or 3 lb Bag of Cat Food -
http://www.petplace.com/mc/eaglepack/survey.aspx
Free Sample of Bil-Jac Dog Food
http://www.petplace.com/mc/biljac/survey.aspx
Free Box of Dream Fields Pasta(lie about your job)
http://www.dreamfieldsfoods.com/dlife_professionals/
Now to find some veggie jokes :lol::lol::lol: