PDA

View Full Version : Hosting A Webpage

Schuler
07-10-2003, 10:37 PM
Say I wanted to host a webpage from my computer (using my IP). What would the best software be to manage and put up the page? I know Microsoft has IIS but that hasn't worked out too good for me. Any suggestions?

balamm
07-10-2003, 10:40 PM
Why hasn't it worked? It's almost automatic now with so many templates and security programs available.

Wolfmight
07-10-2003, 11:15 PM
well since it's the microsoft one.. it's probably got a bunch of known holes and stuff..dunno though

Schuler
07-11-2003, 01:44 AM
I didn't take a good look at it. But the IIS frmo my XP Pro harddrive looked basically like insert the page i want to host and thats it. Maybe there's something I'm missing? I want something that can monitor stuff like number of visitors, IPs of them, etc. I know the FTP that came with my Pro cd wasn't too good, and I got Bulletproof FTP which is exactly what I want. I want something like that but I know little about hosting and stuff.

Razz
07-11-2003, 01:54 AM
Download Apache webserver (over 60% of the worlds sites are run on apache and its alot more stable) plus its free and open source

then you just have to edit httpd.conf file in notepad to suit your purposes its relatively straightforward and there are millions of resources online to help you with apache

sorry but i tried IIS and i found it was the worst webserving package around just make sure you get the latest version of Apache as earlier versions had a few problems (they keep improving them :) )

kRAyZZed

chalkmongoose
07-11-2003, 02:00 AM
Originally posted by kRAyZZed@11 July 2003 - 01:54
Download Apache webserver (over 60% of the worlds sites are run on apache and its alot more stable) plus its free and open source

then you just have to edit httpd.conf file in notepad to suit your purposes its relatively straightforward and there are millions of resources online to help you with apache

sorry but i tried IIS and i found it was the worst webserving package around just make sure you get the latest version of Apache as earlier versions had a few problems (they keep improving them :) )

kRAyZZed
Actually, I found it ever so difficult to configure PHP in IIS, even though they advertise as automatically configuring themselves to suit each other. That may be because I insisted on installing it myself, without binaries, but who knows?
Apache is very powerful, and has the advantage of being able to be used on systems that work (*nix), unlike the crap called Windows.

Night Ass
07-11-2003, 02:17 AM
The Best one out there Bar nun is TZO

Xilo
07-11-2003, 02:47 AM
I haven't had any problems with IIS. I don't run a big ftp or http server or anything though.

chalkmongoose
07-11-2003, 03:15 AM
IIS is nice, because it lets you do things quickly and neatly, without delving into .conf editing.
Of course, that's also the reason that I hate IIS :)

Schuler
07-11-2003, 04:01 AM
Ok I'll check out some of the software. Thanks for the help. I really don't need anything complex it's just a simple page. :ph34r: