PDA

View Full Version : The Ten "Cannots"

j2k4
10-10-2007, 12:49 AM
Try (for the moment or two it will take to read) to forget the author of the following is a man of the cloth.

THE TEN CANNOTS –
By Rev. William J. H. Boetcker

1 - You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift.

2 - You cannot help small men by tearing down big men.

3 - You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.

4 - You cannot lift the wage earner by pulling down the wage payer.

5 - You cannot help the poor man by destroying the rich.

6 - You cannot keep out of trouble by spending more than your income.

7 - You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred.

8 - You cannot establish security on borrowed money.

9 - You cannot build character and courage by taking away men’s initiative and independence.

10 - You cannot help men permanently by doing for them what they could and should be doing for themselves.

Busyman™
10-10-2007, 01:36 AM
Number 2 and 3

Yes you can if they are harming you.

Number 8

It's called the stock market. Sure you can....hell real estate, start-up business..........

Number 4

Depending on what "pulling down" is. Free reign by the wage payer is not the way to go either.

Number 1

Thank goodness Bush is almost outta here!

bigboab
10-10-2007, 07:07 AM
Sounds like the 'Holy Grail' of the British Conservative Party and New Labour. :lol:

I wonder who else could be added to this list?:whistling

Biggles
10-10-2007, 09:20 AM
No 5 - you cannot get milk from a cow you have killed but that doesn't mean you shouldn't milk the cow when it is alive :whistling

j2k4
10-10-2007, 10:03 AM
I believe Busyman is serious.

"Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife"

Busyman: Depends on her...and if I wanna. :whistling

ilw
10-10-2007, 06:27 PM

i don't get it :huh:

j2k4
10-10-2007, 10:05 PM

i don't get it :huh:

I would seem that Busyman regards all guidelines as strictly conditional; things to be gotten around, should the inclination strike...as when one finds one's self in need of, say, a new microwave. :whistling

ilw
10-10-2007, 10:50 PM
still not sure i fully understand but meh. I think some of those statements don't hold up to scrutiny at all. Plus it reeks of rich person protectionism (e.g. pt 7) or am i just being too cynical?

j2k4
10-10-2007, 11:24 PM
still not sure i fully understand but meh. I think some of those statements don't hold up to scrutiny at all. Plus it reeks of rich person protectionism (e.g. pt 7) or am i just being too cynical?

To the latter, yes. :whistling

thewizeard
10-13-2007, 10:11 AM
Try (for the moment or two it will take to read) to forget the author of the following is a man of the cloth.

If they had seriosly wanted us to..then that would have either have excluded this quote..or written it as a post scriptum....

but no..right at the top.... :)

bigboab
10-13-2007, 11:43 AM
That you may retain your self-respect, it is better to displease the people by doing what you know is right, than to temporarily please them by doing what you know is wrong.

William J.H. Boetcker

That is a statement of his that I totally agree with.:)

j2k4
10-13-2007, 03:09 PM

If they had seriosly wanted us to..then that would have either have excluded this quote..or written it as a post scriptum....

but no..right at the top.... :)

'Twasn't "they" who asked you...'twas me. :whistling

thewizeard
10-14-2007, 02:40 AM
ýes good point...I am stupid.. you made it imposible for me to forget it... sort of plagued me every line...

j2k4
10-14-2007, 01:31 PM
ýes good point...I am stupid.. you made it imposible for me to forget it... sort of plagued me every line...

Oh, stop. :whistling