PDA

View Full Version : Jealousy (relationships)

Squeamous
10-10-2007, 12:07 PM
Is jealousy a necessary aspect of love or not? If you don't feel it does that mean your feelings don't run very deep? Just wondering.

Something Else
10-10-2007, 12:14 PM
nah, it's unnecessary and is usually to do with insecurity on the part of the one feeling it...However if one partner specifically tried to make the other jealous then felling jealousy would be perfectly justified. But to do that on purpose is just silly (although it does happen).

Biggles
10-10-2007, 12:16 PM
Damned if you do damned if you don't. Too much and it becomes claustrophobic too little and it's assumed you don't much care.

The ideal is apparently is to show an appropriate amount at the right time - afterwards one then should go and reconcile the Palestinians and Israelis and talk Bin Laden into radical flower arranging. :dabs:

Chip Monk
10-10-2007, 12:20 PM
Is jealousy a necessary aspect of love or not? If you don't feel it does that mean your feelings don't run very deep? Just wondering.

No, no it isn't.

Squeamous
10-10-2007, 12:25 PM
Damned if you do damned if you don't. Too much and it becomes claustrophobic too little and it's assumed you don't much care.

The ideal is apparently is to show an appropriate amount at the right time - afterwards one then should go and reconcile the Palestinians and Israelis and talk Bin Laden into radical flower arranging. :dabs:

I'd say you have to skate the fine line between protectiveness and jealousy. You're right though, it's a toughy....I hadn't thought of it like that.

Chip Monk
10-10-2007, 12:32 PM

I'd say you have to skate the fine line ...

:eyesbleeding:

Alien5
10-10-2007, 12:41 PM

This is an odd question, jealousy is the opposite of (Compersion/polygamy) swinging says wikipedia

I've never swung but i was asked to join in but kinda lost the nerve and walked out because it felt really awkward. :blushing:

frottage
10-10-2007, 01:26 PM
Funny that you mention swinging, because that(jealousy) is what it(swinging) was meant to remedy.

Squeamous
10-10-2007, 03:30 PM
Do you think swinging shows lack of respect for your partner? I'm not the jealous sort at all and I don't understand it, but I would like to think my partner wouldn't want other men to view me with disrespect. Because when you hear swingers talk, they describe other people as just objects, and say when they go home it brings them closer. I wonder if it occurs to them that the other people view them as 'just bodies' too?

Squeamous
10-10-2007, 03:34 PM
The act itself though....of seeing my partner having it away with someone else......I'm not sure that would upset me. Women try it on with him sometimes in front of me but I feel a bit sorry for them because I know it's never going to happen.

frottage
10-10-2007, 07:25 PM
Do you think swinging shows lack of respect for your partner? I'm not the jealous sort at all and I don't understand it, but I would like to think my partner wouldn't want other men to view me with disrespect. Because when you hear swingers talk, they describe other people as just objects, and say when they go home it brings them closer. I wonder if it occurs to them that the other people view them as 'just bodies' too?

Everybody has their own take on it. Personally I don't think there's any inherent lack of respect caused by the act itself, providing you inform your partner and both parties agree. Doing it without permission goes against the basic principle, which is to allow a loving, trusting couple who have grown bored with their sex life to cheat without cheating. There's not supposed to be any emotion involved. Of course, in real life it doesn't always work that way, but that's the general idea.

Now for the "viewing someone as a body" or any disrespect you might feel from letting someone other than your partner have sex with you, it goes with the territory. As stated, it's not ideal to be attached in a loving way for that, so they may view you as "a body" although that's a bit harsh to say it that way. I don't respect any different if a woman/my spouse is into swinging, but I would guess an outsider, not into that, might see it differently.

Squeamous
10-10-2007, 10:07 PM
Ok, but swingers just see each other as glorified sexual organs, and however close this makes you feel to your actual partner, those feelings are inversely proportional towards all the people you have sex with. I wouldn't want to be with a man who was happy to see other people view me like that.....in fact I wouldn't want to be with a man who viewed other people as disposable sexual accessories. I can understand it if there's a regular couple you like to get it on with, maybe go out to dinner, enjoy each others' company etc......but you shouldn't treat people like chair legs that you can just hump up against for a few seconds relief. How soul destroying is that?

frottage
10-11-2007, 08:14 AM
Not everyone is ok with seperating love and sex. For many, sex is a natural compliment to a healthy romantic relationship. It's harder for women, that has been proven through scientific study. The people who are into swinging don't always do it because of a deep love for sex, they may simply be incapable of maintaining "normal" relationships. The perpetual single types. So, not so soul destroying for everybody. It can be an asset, even.

The clubs here (http://www.vegasredrooster.com/) in the U.S. that allow it don't normally require you to bring your own partner, you can just show up and find someone suitable on site.

Squeamous
10-11-2007, 02:00 PM
I can separate love and sex, but I can't separate respect and sex. If I want a bit of soulless relief I'll have a wank.

Mathea
10-11-2007, 02:14 PM
I can separate love and sex, but I can't separate respect and sex. If I want a bit of soulless relief I'll have a wank.
Souless? Its sex with someone you love.

Squeamous
10-11-2007, 02:24 PM
:lol: