PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew...

brotherdoobie
10-11-2007, 05:38 PM
I've been thinking of brewing my own beer. Have any of you -
tried your hand at making homemade beer.

Any tips/advice would be appreciated.

-bd :happy:

Something Else
10-11-2007, 05:46 PM
Try this mag: http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/2664/october07mk1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

or even the website......http://byo.com/

You could be building a 'mash paddle' in days :O

Skiz
10-11-2007, 05:47 PM
I tried it post high school. Turned out tasting fucking awful, but it got us wasted all the same. :smilie4:

brotherdoobie
10-11-2007, 06:22 PM
Dandelion wine...ughhh.

-bd

weenden
10-11-2007, 10:01 PM
not a bad idea i was growing my own weed so i guees that'l work

Something Else
10-11-2007, 11:36 PM
oh rly weenden? was it punky punk or woody wood? Special lights or you live in a sunny place?

Biggles
10-11-2007, 11:40 PM
My Dad used to do it - you have to be careful not to bottle it too soon otherwise it explodes as we discovered one night. My Mum was less than chuffed at the state of the cupboard. His beer tasted really nice a kind stout which was quite potent.

thewizeard
10-12-2007, 10:13 AM
Beer, wine..I have made some hash wine..based it of grapes and used a Nepalese strain...was a brilliant high Paul...

snowultra
10-12-2007, 10:20 AM
ya, i made my own beer and wine-----both turned out watered down, tasted awful.
tons of sediment on the bottom, so you have to filter it just to drink it.

brotherdoobie
10-12-2007, 10:37 AM
Beer, wine..I have made some hash wine..based it of grapes and used a Nepalese strain...was a brilliant high Paul...

Sounds delicious. How have you been doing Nigel?

-bd :)

thewizeard
10-12-2007, 10:39 AM
Great thanks m8 and good to see you posting here again...

Some time you just gotta visit the Netherlands...

weenden
10-12-2007, 07:31 PM
it was skunky and budding till i killed it (long story)was sunny not much rain this summer till now

Something Else
10-12-2007, 08:03 PM
cool cool punky punk sweet, I had a 10ft weed bush but I smoked it :(

weenden
10-13-2007, 03:17 PM
a friend told me to put in the dark and it would bud more well i did and it killed it live and learn

lynx
10-13-2007, 03:44 PM
I've made beer and wine in my time, but now I've seen how they make whisky.

Looks like it could be much more fun.

Fuck this idea of leaving it in a barrel for a few years though.

peat moss
10-13-2007, 03:48 PM
Its not worth doing it at home anymore , the smell , mess , trying to keep the wort at a constant temp . Everything depends on keeping your tools clean and sterile like your bottles , thermometer , caps etc.

I really miss it tho and have gone to shops where you pay $95 .00 cnd for say 132 bottles or cans of your poison of choice . I suggest taking a buddie with you and split two types like a Brit or Canadian ale and an Mexican style .

hippychick
10-13-2007, 04:01 PM
My ex hubby used to make his own beer. He would buy Grolsch beer, drink it and use the bottles. They have flip tops so you can reuse them over and over.

I didn't care for most of his beer, except when he added flavour like raspberry ect. He would go to alot of forums and read about brewing and get ideas from others.

You have to be careful when brewing, he would forget to watch it and it would overflow the pot and make a stinky, sticky mess on the stove, that took forever to clean up.

The smell is terrible, it think it's the hops, but gag. I had to leave the house alot when he brewed so I didn't get sick :sick:

Good luck and have fun :D

peat moss
10-14-2007, 04:20 AM
Yep the ceramic tops are nice and the bottles are twice what we're use to .:w00t: But it does come back to keeping it clean and it's tuff tho . I used to have my lil ones helping me , like a production line .

Oldest filling ,the next capping and the lil guy and me cleaning the fricken bottles , him in a diaper and me thinking thats not very sterile .:pinch:

mr.mystery
10-14-2007, 04:23 AM
fermentation my dear, mix it with piss and it will explode, it will taste revolting either way, purchase it, no point making it young one.

brotherdoobie
10-14-2007, 05:02 AM
fermentation my dear, mix it with piss and it will explode, it will taste revolting either way, purchase it, no point making it young one.

It's been a while...since I've been called a young one, lad. :blink:

-bd

sleepyy
10-14-2007, 12:07 PM
buy a brewing kit they are quite cheap and you can learn from this all the basics once the beer is in leave alone stage dont just give it two weeks and sod the other two just to try and drink it because you can't wait to get pissed because you wont and it taste like crap

I done the same thing with a spirits kit cost me £15 in boots around 6 years ago turned out great 5 litres of of vodka

thewizeard
10-15-2007, 07:42 AM
I saw this so check it out :) Beer is actually very cheap to make ..and one only has to wait a relatively short time before i's ready to drink.

here is a link

http://www.mooncube.org/2006/08/11/howto-make-beer/