PDA

View Full Version : Should BT sites block entire Regions?

SliDer5
10-12-2007, 06:47 PM
Like TB, WB of Middle East etc.
What do you think?

Something Else
10-12-2007, 06:48 PM
yes, it's always funny to see the threads...
nah, not rly it's lame behaviour...

Polarbear
10-12-2007, 06:48 PM
yes

SliDer5
10-12-2007, 06:51 PM
yes

explain why plz

spark
10-12-2007, 06:53 PM
Yes! like the country of cheaters....

SliDer5
10-12-2007, 06:56 PM

whole countries of cheaters?
kinda wrong...:blink:

tooxan
10-12-2007, 06:57 PM

LOL wat u talkig about it's just like saying we should't pass americam to europe becouse they living in coutry of killerss

IT'S SICK

Polarbear
10-12-2007, 06:58 PM
yes, because i've seen statistics.

there are countries with a cheater/leecher rate of over 85% on a tracker.

there are several reasons for this, but it's a fact.

SliDer5
10-12-2007, 06:58 PM

LOL wat u talkig about it's just like saying we should't pass americam to europe becouse they living in coutry of killerss

IT'S SICK

agreed :D

lingo
10-12-2007, 07:00 PM
@SliDer5: You really got bored today, didn't you? :D

Daniel
If the trackers can't help themselves through other means of identifying cheaters, then banning country-wide IP-ranges is certainly the safest option for the tracker and all the remaining members. Some tracker staff should always consider the needs of many above the needs of a few, that's unfortunately not very fair or popular for a certain group of people.

SliDer5

statistics might be wrong, think of yourself - how would you feel if your entire country was banned?

spark
10-12-2007, 07:01 PM

He want his privs back :lol:

SliDer5
10-12-2007, 07:01 PM
If the trackers can't help themselves through other means of identifying cheaters, then banning country-wide IP-ranges is certainly the safest option for the tracker and all the remaining members. Some tracker staff should always consider the needs of many above the needs of a few, that's unfortunately not very fair or popular for a certain group of people.

absolutely agreed :D

He want his privs back :lol:

even if I would I can't get them back ;)

FST = Filesharing Talk :cool:

spark
10-12-2007, 07:07 PM

statistics might be wrong, think of yourself - how would you feel if your entire country was banned?

If 70% of my country are cheaters/f***kers then I am 2 and I deserve it :)

SliDer5
10-12-2007, 07:09 PM

it is wrong, there are smart system to prevent cheating, not a massive punishment! :huh:

Polarbear
10-12-2007, 07:10 PM
pretend you are tracker staff.

-you get 100 users from country xyz every month
-85% cheat or leech their ass off

now you have to ban 85 single users. it's a timewasting process.

ban the whole country and you save time and work. for the benefit of the good users.

of course it's hard for the 25 good users of this country, but what are you gonna do?

pECi
10-12-2007, 07:12 PM
yeah i agree with polarbear...but sometimes banning an entire country doesn't work...u have to disable their accounts too coz their can enter from a box or a proxy

spark
10-12-2007, 07:14 PM

it is wrong, there are smart system to prevent cheating, not a massive punishment! :huh:

There is a site with a smart system! and 90% of you keep complaining about it everyday! The Great OiNK!

SliDer5
10-12-2007, 07:15 PM

ban the whole country and you save time and work. for the benefit of the good users.

of course it's hard for the 25 good users of this country, but what are you gonna do?

still wrong, now days you don't need to 85 users all is automatic.

Daniel
10-12-2007, 07:17 PM
Well, spark, banning a whole country is the easiest and fastest option. If you do it manually, you'll never see the end of it with too many cheaters following the already disabled ones. If you do it the oink way, you will encounter a certain amount of people who were disabled by no mistake of their own. I'm convinced that a 'smart system' like theirs works, but it's does make some mistakes - some trackers can afford that and oink is certainly large enough ;)

Polarbear
10-12-2007, 07:20 PM

the first and most important rule of a cheater is: never ever admit that you cheated.

most of those 85 users will complain, whine and say they didn't do nothing after they've been banned.

that involves a lot of work and good nerves.

trackers don't ban countries for no reason. why would they?

lingo
10-12-2007, 07:21 PM

FST = Filesharing Talk :cool:

No offense... I think you are acting a bit hyperactive today, but you have come up with such interesting topics. Good job... :lol:

Dylster
10-12-2007, 07:23 PM
absolutely not, it's ridiculous to label a whole country as cheaters and these trackers are the closest thing we have to self-governing communities in the world no geographical region should be excluded we should be priding ourselves on the fact that we are part of something that does not care about borders

spark
10-12-2007, 07:24 PM
Well, spark, banning a whole country is the easiest and fastest option. If you do it manually, you'll never see the end of it with too many cheaters following the already disabled ones. If you do it the oink way, you will encounter a certain amount of people who were disabled by no mistake of their own. I'm convinced that a 'smart system' like theirs works, but it's does make some mistakes - some trackers can afford that and oink is certainly large enough ;)

I can live with OiNK mistakes :) OiNK has the best rules I've ever seen, best script I've ever heard about...and they'll never ban a whole country, simply the do not need to...

SliDer5
10-12-2007, 07:26 PM

I can live with OiNK mistakes :) OiNK has the best rules I've ever seen, best script I've ever heard about...and they'll never ban a whole country, simply the do not need to...

smart system is the solution, not a massive punishment

Daniel
10-12-2007, 07:27 PM
I can live with OiNK mistakes :)
That's what most people will say until their own account was disabled for reasons unknown ;) But like you said, oink has probably the best scripted way to recognize cheaters and that's a good thing.

SkullForce
10-12-2007, 07:28 PM

the first and most important rule of a cheater is: never ever admit that you cheated.

most of those 85 users will complain, whine and say they didn't do nothing after they've been banned.

may be for the sake of racism.

SliDer5
10-12-2007, 07:29 PM
absolutely not, it's ridiculous to label a whole country as cheaters and these trackers are the closest thing we have to self-governing communities in the world no geographical region should be excluded we should be priding ourselves on the fact that we are part of something that does not care about borders

we wish for it, but there are always some part of people that should put a borders

may be for the sake of racism.
don't go there ;)

Polarbear
10-12-2007, 07:36 PM

i agree with you.

but unfortunately bittorrent sites are not part of the unesco

SliDer5
10-12-2007, 07:40 PM
banning it not about cheaters today, mostly of Ddos attacks, and there are a perfect solutions for that.

Polarbear
10-12-2007, 07:42 PM
is your country banned, slider5 ?

lingo
Banning a whole country may be a solution for the tracker, but it is not justical at all. ISP ban is all wrong while IP ban is okay for me and OiNK is doing a great job even if I don't like the staff there. A friend in my dormitory was banned b/c he was using the banned IP which I was using the last year. :/

PS: I missed why you have "DISABLED PRIVS" SliDer5. You mind sending me a PM about it if you don't wanna go off-topic here? :P

spark

:lol:

SliDer5
10-12-2007, 07:46 PM

my country does not exist anymore

pone44
10-12-2007, 07:46 PM
Hell No! Totally Unfair!

Polarbear
10-12-2007, 07:48 PM

well, that's great. would be hard to ban a country that doesn't exist, wouldn't it?

SliDer5
10-12-2007, 07:48 PM
Banning a whole country may be a solution for the tracker, but it is not justical at all. ISP ban is all wrong while IP ban is okay for me and OiNK is doing a great job even if I don't like the staff there. A friend in my dormitory was banned b/c he was using the banned IP which I was using the last year. :/

PS: I missed why you have "DISABLED PRIVS" SliDer5. You mind sending me a PM about it if you don't wanna go off-topic here? :P

messed with my sig and forgot the rules, now paying for it.

well, that's great. would be hard to ban a country that doesn't exist, wouldn't it?

Germany exists very well

TheFoX
10-12-2007, 08:25 PM
There's no reason to ban a country if your invite only, since each member will stay or go based on the merit of how they ran their account.

The big trackers would probably need to ban an entire range simply because the idiots keep signing up under new names all the time.

rvt
10-12-2007, 08:33 PM
banning it not about cheaters today, mostly of Ddos attacks, and there are a perfect solutions for that.

Yes, it's called null routing.
20,000 IPs from one country give you crap, null route the country. DDOS over, site back up.

Of course you can always drop only the troublesome IPs, but it's going to cost you a fortune. Why should the tracker owners pay for that, especially if they don't get enough donations to pay for it?

fOrUmAs
10-12-2007, 08:43 PM
What do you think?

I think that this is wrong,if some cheaters from some country cheat that ban that ip,but not the whole country...there is other ways to deal with them.;)

blackbird
10-12-2007, 08:47 PM
nop ..!

i think staff who ban the whole country are too lazy to filter individual ip's :|

Polarbear
10-12-2007, 09:07 PM

Yes, it's called null routing.
20,000 IPs from one country give you crap, null route the country. DDOS over, site back up.

Of course you can always drop only the troublesome IPs, but it's going to cost you a fortune. Why should the tracker owners pay for that, especially if they don't get enough donations to pay for it?

can you blackhole filter a whole country?

edit: ok, there may be databases that tell you which ips belong to the country

rvt
10-13-2007, 11:42 AM
Yep, it's possible.

BMTV had to blackhole Brazil recently due to a massive DDOS.
Using geoip lite, the number of IP ranges for brazil is somewhere around 400. A decent DDOS will use a minimum of a few thousand IPs.
The country ban is a hell of a lot easier to implement in a crisis than a ban of only the relevant IPs.

Polarbear
10-13-2007, 11:46 AM
those poor beautiful brazilian girls :cry:

briand5379
10-13-2007, 11:52 AM
You can ban a country all you want but if someone really wants to get into your site they'll find a way.

rvt
10-13-2007, 02:58 PM
They may find a way to access the site, but DDOS is reduced to nothing when running through proxies :P

kirktrix
10-13-2007, 03:04 PM
What do you think?

Unfair....;)

pro267
10-13-2007, 03:37 PM
I'm against any sort of collective punishment.

If we're talking about cheaters - banning of individual accounts can be done automatically, and doesn't require staff intervention (banning the whining idiots from IRC is easy as well).
If we're talking about DDOS attacks - a temporary routing solution can be implemented. DDOS attacks usually won't last for more than a few hours/days at most.

SliDer5
10-13-2007, 03:41 PM
I'm against any sort of collective punishment.

If we're talking about cheaters - banning of individual accounts can be done automatically, and doesn't require staff intervention (banning the whining idiots from IRC is easy as well).
If we're talking about DDOS attacks - a temporary routing solution can be implemented. DDOS attacks usually won't last for more than a few hours/days at most.

there are better solution for DDos, check out Oink for instance:happy:

pro267
10-13-2007, 03:49 PM
I have no idea which solution Oink is implementing, but you need to remember that it's a lot harder to DDOS a site like Oink than it is to DDOS most other sites. It requires a lot more sources and synchronization. Oink was built to handle huge amounts of traffic, which makes it immune to most smaller scaled DOS attacks.

Hell, I bet most trackers would consider Oink's normal traffic as a massive DDOS attack..

SliDer5
10-13-2007, 03:53 PM
I have no idea which solution Oink is implementing, but you need to remember that it's a lot harder to DDOS a site like Oink than it is to DDOS most other sites. It requires a lot more sources and synchronization. Oink was built to handle huge amounts of traffic, which makes it immune to most smaller scaled DOS attacks.

Hell, I bet most trackers would consider Oink's normal traffic as a massive DDOS attack..

still according to the nature of DDOS there is a simple solution, most of respected sites already implementing it;)

Remi
10-13-2007, 11:26 PM
I would say that is the most stupid solution evah, banning hole regions/country's...thatīs dumb...:(

rvt
10-14-2007, 12:31 PM
still according to the nature of DDOS there is a simple solution, most of respected sites already implementing it;)

DDOS comes in many flavours, and there is no simple solution.
If multiple IPs are all repeatedly hitting your web server, you can drop in blocking at the firewall or server level (hosts.deny/iptables/htaccess). You could add the IPs to the bans table in the database, but allowing a DDOS to trigger a database lookup with every hit is a very bad idea.
If they are attacking a different service, then the options are different.

The common denominator is that they can all be handled by an external firewall. At that point, you either have enough tech support to add the IPs one by one, or you don't in which case you suffer through it or drop in some range bans.

Oink does have a lot of traffic, but they also have a large operating budget. Maybe they can afford to have targetted firewalling.

Skengeboy
10-14-2007, 01:42 PM
Of course it's okay. To have access to a BT site is a privilegie, not something you must have to survive. And yes, they have all the rights to ban whoever they want, and countries with their IP ranges banned probably often deserves it, many cheaters, leechers and the rest of them have slow connections overall. It ain't very kind to the users that work hard to keep good ratios and seed as much as they can to let someone come and have it all for free.

Cheffy
10-14-2007, 01:56 PM
Well banning am entire country might not be politically correct.
But how the freck cares?

The ammount of cheaters that some countries produce is absurd.
It only brings tonns of extra work to staff, and frankly they have better things to spend their time on.

And its only a tracker, there are like a couple of hundreds of them out there, so if one have banned your country, just find one that allow your country.

I have been Support at one of biggest trackers out there, and people are so freeking stupid that they refuse to accept that they have been caught cheating.
And they are willing to argue with your for hours and hours on end, and since you are staff, you have to act mature and take their feelings and stuff into consideration.
So you cant tell them to freck off and put them on your ignore list.
Even though they managed to download 1 episode of PB and upload 5 TB of data on that one in just 20min.

Effer
10-14-2007, 05:23 PM
I think there are pros and cons for both sides. Banning an IP range makes sure your trackers stay healthy, but high-levelers are too appreciated even by cheaters and leechers for the practice to have any purpose accept punishing good members and potential members whose only fault is the wrong country.

On the other hand, my opinion is that low-levelers should practice region blocking more than they do, at least temporary blocking until some mentalities learn the hard way. If they don't, well, there's nothing else you can do but make sure never get a chance to learn again.

Submission
10-14-2007, 05:34 PM
Countries like Israel need to be banned. Their internet just sucks, the upload is something like 15kb/s, imagine the speed going to north america or even europe.

They're all cheaters anyhow and useless to the bt community.

wildbytes
10-14-2007, 06:06 PM
hmm

Last time i checked we have not banned the middle east. We have talked about it many times and most want to but i have not set any ranges as of yet.

We also have vips from the middle east, so why would i ban them.

We have a invite system were people from the middle east get in all the time. We also have a user app where people can signup and if a staff member thinks they would be a good fir they get a invite code (same thing as TDC). Most people that dont get in from userapp is mostly because we think they are lieing and or using a proxy.

Only thing we have done is set ranges on know cheaters that we have caught and or traders, but this banns do get lefted in time as ips change alot.

So once again people posting crap they have no clue about.

Wild

RaPPeR
10-14-2007, 08:03 PM
As one that comes from such country [ that his all range got banned by some trackers ]
It sucks.
All those of you that in favor of banning all range of country's ip, I want to see you living in one of those countries . When you haven't do nothing wrong.
Its easy when you there .
From the other hand ,I can't say I blame them for doing it.

SliDer5
10-14-2007, 08:32 PM
hmm

Last time i checked we have not banned the middle east. We have talked about it many times and most want to but i have not set any ranges as of yet.

We have a invite system were people from the middle east get in all the time. We also have a user app where people can signup and if a staff member thinks they would be a good fir they get a invite code (same thing as TDC). Most people that dont get in from userapp is mostly because we think they are lieing and or using a proxy.

Only thing we have done is set ranges on know cheaters that we have caught and or traders, but this banns do get lefted in time as ips change alot.

Wild

not correct, over WB IRC I spoke to the op and I was told that currently all Middle East is banned, so who to believe to?

wildbytes
10-14-2007, 08:47 PM
hmm

Wild

not correct, over WB IRC I spoke to the op and I was told that currently all Middle East is banned, so who to believe to?

HAHA

I make all the calls so i can tell you thats not true. I am sure it was a mod that was pissed off at the middle east or just banned a few from the middle east and thought you might be one of them.

We do ban more people in the middle east then anywhere else in the world.

Wild

pECi
10-14-2007, 10:26 PM

+ 1

isabel.pirate
10-15-2007, 03:12 AM
My country (Canada) just got banned from demenoid ;) but it doesn't really matter there is so much overlap in trackers - just find one that is open to you. Life goes on BT is just a fun hobby or game (depending how you treat it) life does go on.

SliDer5
10-15-2007, 05:18 AM

HAHA

I make all the calls so i can tell you thats not true. I am sure it was a mod that was pissed off at the middle east or just banned a few from the middle east and thought you might be one of them.

Wild

rude;)
sometimes you behind sometimes you ahead, the journey is long, anything can change, it is a matter of time, now you are smiling but one day you may cry (metaphor)

Effer
10-15-2007, 09:30 AM
Is it true Romania got banned from SCC?

Polarbear
10-15-2007, 10:24 AM

i've read posts that say so.

Effer
10-15-2007, 12:36 PM

i've read posts that say so.

Yeah, I just read some posts that confirm this on other forums as well.

pECi
10-15-2007, 04:37 PM
yeah...some time ago :shifty: but not all...some ip classes still work very fine

silversk8r
10-15-2007, 05:41 PM
I think that's a bad thing, punishing everyone, even those wh are innocents. but I can understand why they do it.

GhostRetired19
10-15-2007, 06:11 PM
Unfair

thelevy23
10-15-2007, 06:21 PM
Countries like Israel need to be banned. Their internet just sucks, the upload is something like 15kb/s, imagine the speed going to north america or even europe.

why does israel need to be banned?
not all of us are cheaters and by the way the upload speed is 38 kb/s(still sucks i know) but we don't have a choice so because our suppliers give us bad upload speed we should pay the price?
i for instance keep my utorrent on almost all day
and you want to ban me?

SliDer5
10-15-2007, 08:42 PM

day will come you will find yourself in Israel - the land of God.

Dr. Lecter
10-15-2007, 09:33 PM

I live in Israel & I have an 5/512 connection which means that my upload rate is around 64KB/s.
U can look for the nick DrLecter in most known trackers & see my ratio there, I never used a seedbox & I have gr8 ratio so stfu !

I am useless to the bt community.
You are absolutely right.

sear
10-15-2007, 10:25 PM
One thing that no one has mentioned is that if they do ban your country range most trackers will still allow you in. You just have to go to IRC state your case and if they believe you they'll unban your particular IP. It's a hassle if you have a dynamic ip addy because you'd have to go to IRC all the time but if you really want on the tracker I guess it would be worth it.

By banning entire ranges trackers are just protecting the site and its members. It's really for the best. If you find you're within one of those ranges that's too bad but most tracker staff are reasonable people and if you explain yourself in a polite and clear manner I'm sure they'll listen. RVT can correct me if i'm wrong but I'm sure BitMeTv does this for some of it's members that are in banned ranges.

rvt
10-15-2007, 11:04 PM
Yep, bmtv has poked some holes in the ranges before.
Most staffers would rather put in a little work on the ranges than lose a good member.

Gish
10-15-2007, 11:32 PM
One thing that no one has mentioned is that if they do ban your country range most trackers will still allow you in. You just have to go to IRC state your case and if they believe you they'll unban your particular IP. It's a hassle if you have a dynamic ip addy because you'd have to go to IRC all the time but if you really want on the tracker I guess it would be worth it.

By banning entire ranges trackers are just protecting the site and its members. It's really for the best. If you find you're within one of those ranges that's too bad but most tracker staff are reasonable people and if you explain yourself in a polite and clear manner I'm sure they'll listen. RVT can correct me if i'm wrong but I'm sure BitMeTv does this for some of it's members that are in banned ranges.

good point!
if you happen to be in one of those ranges you my may still get your account back by stating your case.
also, what is it about Israel anyway:ph34r: