PDA

View Full Version : Surely trading accounts is risky

stoi
10-16-2007, 05:43 AM
couldnt realy think of a better topic heading as its 06:30am here and i havnt been to sleep yet.

but all private trackers have passkeys in their torrents (or most have)

now lets take blackcats as an example.

you trade your ***** account for a blackcats one with a 100 gig buffer.

this is pointless in itself because it still might have loads of hit and runs and be kitty litter (cant download till you seed all of them back).

but the person thats trading you the blackcats account, goes and grabs 100-1000 torrents from the tracker before he trades, he trades with you, you login, change email and password.

you think, phew its all mine.

he then starts up those torrents in his client, could be straight away, could be in 2 months. maybe just 1 or 2 at a time, but as its got your passkey in, all the dl ratio goes on your account. and obviously he isnt going to seed anything back. so that 100gig buffer is gone in no time, and you have a useless account anyway.

and on blackcats, only staff can change someones passkey, the user cant do it themselves.

I just see all this trading going on, and think, there is so many ways to exploit it, but maybe im missing something.

dave12
10-16-2007, 05:51 AM
yep trading is bad i would rather stick with whatever i have instead of trading and then getting banned trading bcg is really bad now that u told you are not allowed to reset pass key .

Polarbear
10-16-2007, 06:04 AM
on blackcats, only staff can change someones passkey, the user cant do it themselves.

how come?

and what questions will they ask if you want your key to be changed? ;-)

spark
10-16-2007, 06:06 AM
on blackcats, only staff can change someones passkey, the user cant do it themselves.

how come?

:blink: what is wrong with that?

stoi
10-16-2007, 06:06 AM
cant tell you lol

spark
10-16-2007, 06:08 AM
Stoi, Can you kindly edit your last post! the world has enough of cheaters already! they'll like this method..

stoi
10-16-2007, 06:09 AM
there edited, but thats why we stopped it anyway.

TheFoX
10-16-2007, 01:19 PM
There's now an even better reason NOT to trade an account. Even if you slip past the alerts generator the site is using, the old account owner could still cause you grief because they could do as stoi has suggested, and fleece the account after they have left.

If you trade an account, make sure you can reset the passkey on acquiring that account (ask for a screenshot of the passkey reset control for the target tracker, if you do not already know of it's existance).

It's better to be safe than sorry, and wait for an invite. Who knows what sort of monitoring happens at sites. Resetting the passkey may trigger an alert, alongside an IP change, that would tell staff that you have traded that account. Nothing worse than losing a trade.

Too many people think that FST staff pass over IPs etc. Don't ever think that torrent site admin are dunces. The reason they run torrent sites is because they are intelligent enough to do so, and can spot anomalies that you or I would miss.

anekoik
10-16-2007, 01:36 PM
changing the password is important too,
if a person has yours, he can reset your passkey after you've done it :dry:
(based on true facts)

kallieb
10-16-2007, 01:57 PM
Too many people think that FST staff pass over IPs etc. Don't ever think that torrent site admin are dunces. The reason they run torrent sites is because they are intelligent enough to do so, and can spot anomalies that you or I would miss.

I'm the furthest one to understand the backdrop of how sites are set up; but even my limited knowledge of computer applications tells me that the easiest net out there to catch cheaters is a code written into the design of each tracker which sends off a *warning bell* so to speak when something weird is happening with an account (ie IP change, change in bandwidth/UL/DL speed, etc etc). Thus, the code of the tracker framework is doing the work of screening out all the anomalies.

So, while someone out to cheat the system may convince themselves that they are smarter than the next guy, do you really feel this way when you know that you are measuring your wiliness against a well-written batch of computer code.

As the old saying goes...you can fool some of the people some of the time, but not all the people all the time. Eventually most cheaters will be busted; and if you imagine this in a different context...the movie police coming after a tracker... then it makes even more sense that tracker staff will go after account scammers. After all, when you lose control over who is walking into your house, you never know who might crash the party!

My thinking is that folks should not complain too much when they are busted for deceitfulness (or arrogance which can be equally bad), because the fact that the tracker staff are vigilante in looking for bad accounts gives the rest of us some assurance that steps are being taken to ensure the integrity of our information.

just my two cents anyways...

stoi
10-16-2007, 07:31 PM
well we dont usually reset anyones passkeys, unless they are just seeding 100+ torrents at once.

but on the odd occasion, accounts do get hacked, mind you this could have been a trade that backfired on them as well. or someone uploads their torrent with their passkey in onto a torrent link site, and they end up downloading 300gig of an nds game lol

but like i said its very rarely users get their passkeys reset, and never while they are actually downloading a torrent/s

Gish
10-16-2007, 09:46 PM
its true.. one time I reset my passkey on a site but forgot I was downloading something! but the download finished like normal.
so that is diffidently a possibility;)

TheFoX
10-17-2007, 03:10 AM
its true.. one time I reset my passkey on a site but forgot I was downloading something! but the download finished like normal.
so that is diffidently a possibility;)

Even though you had reset your passkey during a download, your client would already have swarm data enough to complete the transfer, even though it could no longer connect to the tracker.

Moonspell13
10-17-2007, 07:51 AM
Which in turn is usually considered as cheating so be careful ppl, that such accidents don't happen often or you might be in trouble..