PDA

View Full Version : HDD problem

BawA
10-17-2007, 01:39 PM
ok so i had this 160Gb SCSI laying around, i thought to use it.
i wanted to use it as slave so i removed the jumper as instruction said but i didnt replace it back anywhere, should i ?
now i start windows and i see it but cant access it so i format it with a partition tool, restarted but still couldn't access it i reformat it again and this time suddenly partition got unlisted but the HDD was showing in program(not windows), the only option after that i could see for that HDD was update MBR i tried it but nothing. i used windows built-in tool and it was listed as unallocated and couldn't preform any operation on it.

any ideas?

clocker
10-17-2007, 02:06 PM
160GB SCSI or SATA?

BawA
10-17-2007, 02:09 PM
its not SATA that i know
it may be 120Gb i dont really know but the program i am using showed it as SCSI before it disappeared , i didnt use in while.

well then..

clocker
10-17-2007, 02:29 PM
Do you have a SCSI controller card...I'm thinking you just have a normal PATA drive here.
What brand drive is it and do you have it hooked with your main drive or alone?

BawA
10-17-2007, 02:31 PM
its not hooked.
the cable which is plugged with is the one used for dvd writers

clocker
10-17-2007, 03:24 PM
OK then, you just have a standard PATA drive.
Connected like so...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/clocker/Drives2.jpg

Make sure the DVD drive is jumpered as "MASTER" and the new hard drive is jumpered as "SLAVE" and Bob's your uncle.

BawA
10-17-2007, 03:32 PM
i must pair it with DVD ?

zapjb
10-17-2007, 04:54 PM
i must pair it with DVD ?
No, thats just the configuration you said you're using. So clocker responded according to that info.

BawA
10-17-2007, 04:59 PM
then thats the way i set it up and wasnt working.
as i said HDD shows in application but the partition wont show, it says there is a freakin maxtor 114Gb HDD but it wont show any space/partition below that description.

clocker
10-17-2007, 05:22 PM
When you first boot the PC (with the drive connected) do you get the "Found New Hardware" wizard?
Does the drive appear in Computer Management/Disk Management?

BawA
10-17-2007, 05:28 PM
on 1st run yes it did installed the driver, and yes it shows up in Disk management but its
labeled as unallocated and unreadable

lynx
10-17-2007, 06:45 PM
If it is unallocated, that simply means that there are no recognisable partitions. Try creating a partition.

If that doesn't work, unreadable may mean that Windows thinks it is broken. If you've only got a single drive on the cable, and it is set to slave, that may well be the problem - you can't have a slave without a master.

My suggestion is that you set any devices that you are going to connect via that cable to "CS" (cable select). Once you've set them in that mode you shouldn't have to worry about changing the jumpers ever again, the cable position will sort it out.

If you are going to connect 2 drives to the cable, it doesn't matter which is connected where, the one at the end of the cable will be the master, the one in the middle will be the slave.

However, if you are only going to connect a single drive then you MUST connect it to the end of the cable. That's because there must always be a master on the cable, and with CS that's the end position.

Once you've set the jumpers correctly, go into bios and select IDE auto-detect. Make sure the bios detects the drives properly. If it detects them but windows still doesn't like your drive then it is probably faulty.

zapjb
10-18-2007, 01:13 AM
Or bad IDE cable.

BawA
10-18-2007, 06:39 AM
If it is unallocated, that simply means that there are no recognisable partitions. Try creating a partition.

If that doesn't work, unreadable may mean that Windows thinks it is broken. If you've only got a single drive on the cable, and it is set to slave, that may well be the problem - you can't have a slave without a master.

My suggestion is that you set any devices that you are going to connect via that cable to "CS" (cable select). Once you've set them in that mode you shouldn't have to worry about changing the jumpers ever again, the cable position will sort it out.

If you are going to connect 2 drives to the cable, it doesn't matter which is connected where, the one at the end of the cable will be the master, the one in the middle will be the slave.

However, if you are only going to connect a single drive then you MUST connect it to the end of the cable. That's because there must always be a master on the cable, and with CS that's the end position.

Once you've set the jumpers correctly, go into bios and select IDE auto-detect. Make sure the bios detects the drives properly. If it detects them but windows still doesn't like your drive then it is probably faulty.

ok as said i did, i enabled CS by putting jumber on it, i attached end cable to the HDD and bios detects it but as before its same nor application nither windows see the partition and cant even make one. cables cant be faulty because they work when attached to dvd rom's.
here is some video's and screen shots.

btw is there any program which can recover it, like maybe boot record is lost or something which was required to run it. am sure something went wrong when i formated it for the 2nd time cuz prior to that atleast partition was showing up and all option were available for it, but now only "Update MBR" option is there.

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/9369/hddwm3.jpg

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/2668/hdd2cr5.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feauDeLHojU

lynx
10-18-2007, 09:13 PM
Could you scratch a little harder please, my nose still itches. :P

You can only have 4 entries in the master partition table, and the message seems to indicate that Vista thinks they are all used. Since it is not telling you what they are, they may be corrupted.

This dos program (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/attachment.php?attachmentid=296&d=1105438069) will clear the first 128 sectors of any drive. If successful it will clear any boot and partition sector corruption and allow you to use the drive. Warning - the program does no checking of drive contents, so I suggest you disconnect all other drives before using this program. You have to run it from a dos prompt, not a command prompt within windows, so you will need a dos boot disk.

BawA
10-19-2007, 05:35 AM
nvm i didnt read your last words "Dos boot disk"
btw can you give an inside look of this progy cuz i have no idea what to do once i run it, will it ask me which drive to check or it will check on the copied drive. cuz you scared me by saying warning :lol:
ohh what was the command to list the drives on DOS?

lynx
10-19-2007, 06:41 PM
There's a text file that tells you what to do.

At the dos prompt, type "Zap 0" to clear the drive connected as primary master, "Zap 1" to clear the drive connected as primary slave, "Zap 2" to clear the drive connected as secondary master, and so on. I'm not sure how it deals with SATA drives (or even if it works with them at all).

It doesn't give you any warnings that the drive has data on it, so if you accidentally pick the wrong drive it will clear that one. That's why I suggested you unplug any other drives so they can't be affected.

BawA
10-20-2007, 04:03 AM
ahh ok m8 ill try but problem is i only have a USB floppy which wont boot so i cant boot into the dos.
i know there is way to make a Boot Cd but...

kooftspc11
10-28-2007, 07:29 PM
OK then, you just have a standard PATA drive.
Connected like so...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/clocker/Drives2.jpg

Make sure the DVD drive is jumpered as "MASTER" and the new hard drive is jumpered as "SLAVE" and Bob's your uncle.

Try leaving the dvd drive as master and set the hdd to CS (cable select)