PDA

View Full Version : Bush and The Dalai Lama -The Highest American Award !

thewizeard
10-17-2007, 06:37 PM
I never Thought I would Say this...

Congratulations and thank you sir, for your open support for the Leader of Tibet, The Dalai Lama. Mr. President, George W.Bush; you managed to do something right for once...Now this won't make the rest good, but it a serious start in the right direction :)

bigboab
10-17-2007, 07:05 PM
I never Thought I would Say this...

Congratulations and thank you sir, for your open support for the Leader of Tibet, The Dalai Lama. Mr. President, George W.Bush; you managed to do something right for once...Now this won't make the rest good, but it a serious start in the right direction :)

What did he do? Keep his mouth shut?:rolleyes:

BawA
10-18-2007, 07:56 AM
dont tell me you believe that crap, its been a classics move by every one who have interest in something which his opponent has and simply cant claim it.
there is an old saying "enemy of my enemy is my friend"

Everose
10-18-2007, 10:41 PM
Hey bigboab.....if it works, lets' encourage him. ;-)

Ænima
11-07-2007, 03:10 AM
I doubt Bush has any genuine interest in a Buddhist :sick:. Filthy heathens... :lol: just kidding... But really, Bush, to compromise with --- even acknowledge --- an a-theist is just so out of character! I have an ax to grind, don't mind me!

dont tell me you believe that crap, its been a classics move by every one who have interest in something which his opponent has and simply cant claim it.
t[unstructured];d[understand]

thewizeard
11-07-2007, 08:24 AM
I doubt Bush has any genuine interest in a Buddhist :sick:. Filthy heathens... :lol: just kidding... But really, Bush, to compromise with --- even acknowledge --- an a-theist is just so out of character! I have an ax to grind, don't mind me!

t[unstructured];d[understand]

Whatever makes you believe Buddhists do not believe in gods?

It's not that there is no belief in god. In fact those heathen Buddhist have a rich pantheon of gods and demons.

It would not be a good idea to have people doing "good" soley because they believe in God and also perhaps they have some hidden reason to do "good". They might hope that god reserves for them a place in heaven..if they can do enough of that stuff...

To give you an example, when once the Dalai Lama was asked, at an initiation ceremony, that I attended in Belgium, if god created the world/universe, he replied in this following manner.

"Ishvara (their name for god) couldn't possibly have created it. Why?..because Ishvara/ God is perfect and it would be for Ishvara impossible to create something, that is not perfect!" ..what/who does that leave us then, Satan?

In the end, It's better to do things out of inner motivation than for profit. This is the main reason why Buddha gave no answer to the question..Is there is a God. He remained silent..Something Jesus once did too, I remember.

barakokula
11-07-2007, 09:59 PM
Something Jesus once did too, I remember.Maaan,you're old!!!!:D

Ænima
11-07-2007, 10:07 PM
Whatever makes you believe Buddhists do not believe in gods?

It's not that there is no belief in god. In fact those heathen Buddhist have a rich pantheon of gods and demons.

To put it simply: you are completely wrong. :dabs:

To give you an example, when once the Dalai Lama was asked, at an initiation ceremony, that I attended in Belgium, if god created the world/universe, he replied in this following manner.
"Ishvara (their name for god) couldn't possibly have created it. Why?..because Ishvara/ God is perfect and it would be for Ishvara impossible to create something, that is not perfect!" ..what/who does that leave us then, Satan?

Buddhism is based on experience alone. There is no room for an opinion of the existence of "God" or any supreme being or the creation of the universe, since it doesn't matter anyway (there is no existential - let alone empirical :lol: - evidence of its existence or its effect on the universe). God is an idea to which people cling because they are afraid of reality (to Buddhists). That is one reason, but certainly not the only (of course, but it had to be said). A central theme to Buddhism is unhooking the chains of desire (e.g. the desire to want to worship a God) and thereby experience nirvana. I am going no further than that, partly because it's not my area of expertise. So having said that, Buddhists are atheists in that they are "without" a God, not in that they are actively against the existence of God (as most self-proclaimed atheists do).

I would also like a citation of the quotation (as if I had to ask!) :blink:

thewizeard
11-08-2007, 08:58 AM
You are also wrong. What do you think a Dakini is? In The Ultimate Truth there is no right or wrong..and you are part of my experience.

I am going no further than that, partly because it's not my area of expertise

Perhaps then it might be preferable if then you keep to threads in your area of expertise? That might help.

bigboab
11-08-2007, 12:32 PM
You are also wrong. What do you think a Dakini is? In The Ultimate Truth there is no right or wrong..and you are part of my experience.

Perhaps then it might be preferable if then you keep to threads in your area of expertise? That might help.

FIGHT! FIGHT! All in the name, of course.:lol:

kaftan
11-08-2007, 11:27 PM

FIGHT! FIGHT! All in the name, of course.:lol:

Get 'em bigboad, love your work. You're right, same old story, everyone so fixated with trying to get the point that they miss it.

Ænima
11-10-2007, 05:24 AM

I do not care for the religious sects that derived from Siddharta's original teachs. Most of them have been convoluted with regional mythologies including Hinduism. I am concerned only with what Buddha taught to his most intelligible followers and the Buddhism sect in which Gyatso practices, which is the Gelug sect (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelug). From what I can tell, Gyatso believes in reincarnation, but certainly no Creator:
"You are called the 'living Buddha'...?
The term 'living Buddha' is a translation of the Chinese word 'ho fu'. In Tibetan, the operative word is 'lama' which means 'guru'. A guru is someone who is not necessarily a Buddha but is heavy with knowledge. I believe that previous Dalai Lamas were manifestations of Avalokiteshwara (the Buddha of compassion) and the fifth Dalai Lama is believed to be an incarnation of Manjushree. I am fortunate to be the reincarnation of all these great lamas! (laughs)
The Buddha was silent on the question of God. What about you?
Why did the Buddha not say anything about God? Because he talked about the law of causality. Once you accept the law of cause and effect, the implication is that there is no 'creator'. If the Buddha accepted the concept of a creator, he would not have been silent; everything would have been God!"
From the man himself :source: (http://www.lifepositive.com/Spirit/world-religions/buddhism/dalai-interview.asp)

thewizeard
11-10-2007, 01:29 PM
:O Buddha also warned, wisely, not to believe all you read in books, including, Buddhist books.

http://www.mensap2p.com/Imagine_If/d_simhamukha.jpg

..anyway Ænima, what is your area of expertise?

Bob.. :noes:

Imagine_If
11-10-2007, 04:48 PM
..in fact the more important Buddhist teachings are handed down orally in the form of the Tantras.. and these are then "passed on " to "disciples" only after years of spiritual preparations...

Ænima
11-10-2007, 07:47 PM
:O Buddha also warned, wisely, not to believe all you read in books, including, Buddhist books.
What defines a book? A 300 page novel, or a three-lined paragraph? 1 sentence, maybe? I know a red herring when I see one. There is no more viable source for the answer to whether he believes in a Creater than his own dialogue.

thewizeard
11-10-2007, 09:10 PM
So we are going to have a difficult dialog over what defines a book now are we?

He told me what he believed more than 2500 years ago and I relayed that to you here.

Very little was recorded on paper. You see it's mankind that tries to create dogmas out of words, hence the warning.

For the rest the Absolute Truth is like a fruit, you are just going to have to taste it to realise it's flavour.

Many of the worlds great leaders use few words to describe truths, often in a simple form so that even the least learned of us could understand too. The words are just a vessel and an approximtion..I mean try to define the color Blue in words...which is why Buddha didn't even try as that is beyond all of our understandings, his too.

bigboab
11-10-2007, 10:49 PM
He told me what he believed more than 2500 years ago and I relayed that to you here.

In what form were you then?

thewizeard
11-10-2007, 11:16 PM

..you have forgotten ? :ermm:

bigboab
11-10-2007, 11:26 PM

..you have forgotten ? :ermm:

That wasn't you, was it?:yikes:

thewizeard
11-11-2007, 12:26 AM
..it is indeed ... now things should become clearer ... you are on my right side

http://www.mensap2p.com/Imagine_If/BuddhaBodhitree.jpg

..and this...

http://www.mensap2p.com/Imagine_If/Vajradhara.jpg

Ænima
11-11-2007, 01:39 AM

Very little was recorded on paper. You see it's mankind that tries to create dogmas out of words, hence the warning.

For the rest the Absolute Truth is like a fruit, you are just going to have to taste it to realise it's flavour.

Many of the worlds great leaders use few words to describe truths, often in a simple form so that even the least learned of us could understand too. The words are just a vessel and an approximtion..I mean try to define the color Blue in words...which is why Buddha didn't even try as that is beyond all of our understandings, his too.
Thanks for agreeing with me :)

thewizeard
11-11-2007, 03:28 AM

Thanks for agreeing with me :)

erm...you, are welcome...but it only happened because you tricked me, I think :ermm:

:)