PDA

View Full Version : Free Newsgroup Servers

TClite
07-12-2003, 04:12 PM
well, news.btopenworld.com/news.btinternet.com, under my adsl service are the only two servers provided for me, and theyre deplorable to say the very least, absolutely nothings complete, the retention is terrible its just plane mince. Im looking for the best free binary newsgroup server then, as mirc is too queued out for new releases, and bitt can lose seeders from time to time, im using newzbin pro, and its set up right...so it cant be the settings, but if anybody else on btbroadband can get one complete binary header ill eat everybodys hats

in short whats the best free news group server for binary releases lol

Dapadipz
07-12-2003, 04:18 PM
ive gt bt bb
can i use them servers

news.btopenworld.com/news.btinternet.com,

TClite
07-12-2003, 04:21 PM
yeah, but theyre shocking, you wont find anything complete....please try them and feedback, so i know im not alone, id phone bt and have some words with them about why im paying £35 quid for such a crappy service, if only i could. I cant phone up and harp on about how i cant download copyrighted material

Dapadipz
07-12-2003, 08:25 PM
lol ok il give them a try tomorrow

RealitY
07-12-2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by TClite@12 July 2003 - 17:21
yeah, but theyre shocking, you wont find anything complete....please try them and feedback, so i know im not alone, id phone bt and have some words with them about why im paying £35 quid for such a crappy service, if only i could. I cant phone up and harp on about how i cant download copyrighted material
Why explain it that way, you should still complain, though some news servers just suck. Free you may not find, though some are ok at about $10 a month.

TClite
07-13-2003, 12:47 AM
ok, well, can you guys inspire me what to say to bt, the money grabbing communists. I cant phone up and say "hi, its a mr so and so here, just to tell you that the news group service provided under your servers is bollocks, not a single binary header is complete, and i cant download shit, you over charge, you provide little support and manipulate your customers with an array of complicated terms and conditions, then to top it off you tie them down to a year contract....."

sorry...

ps. fuck you :P

Jibbler
07-13-2003, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by TClite@12 July 2003 - 20:47
ok, well, can you guys inspire me what to say to bt, the money grabbing communists. I cant phone up and say "hi, its a mr so and so here, just to tell you that the news group service provided under your servers is bollocks, not a single binary header is complete, and i cant download shit, you over charge, you provide little support and manipulate your customers with an array of complicated terms and conditions, then to top it off you tie them down to a year contract....."

sorry...

ps. fuck you :P
Once again, the answer is to pay for a service. I pay $20 a month and I get a guaranteed retention of all binary groups for 14 days, all non-binary groups for 30 days. The connection is fed to me from a DS45 backbone, so I'm allowed 8 similtaneous connections each downloading between 240K-300K depending on the time of day.

With that having been said, most large files, like movies/iso/image files are post with PAR files, which are used to create/repair broken archives. So if you download 80 RAR files, and two are missing/corrupt, you can re-create them with the PAR files. People create and post the PAR files because they know that people like you have newsgroups servers with shitty connections.

Sticky? :huh: :huh: :huh: :)

Dapadipz
07-13-2003, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by TClite@12 July 2003 - 17:12
well, news.btopenworld.com/news.btinternet.com, under my adsl service are the only two servers provided for me, and theyre deplorable to say the very least, absolutely nothings complete, the retention is terrible its just plane mince. Im looking for the best free binary newsgroup server then, as mirc is too queued out for new releases, and bitt can lose seeders from time to time, im using newzbin pro, and its set up right...so it cant be the settings, but if anybody else on btbroadband can get one complete binary header ill eat everybodys hats

in short whats the best free news group server for binary releases lol
do i need to use my BT Username to sign in or nething with these servers?

Dapadipz
07-13-2003, 11:09 AM
jus had a look on the BT groups and they are shocking. half of the files wernt ther and half em didnt even start downloading

Jibbler
07-14-2003, 06:49 AM
Well, its a free service, what do you expect? Besides, I believe they limit your bandwidth to 50mb/day or something. When you pay for a server, you can download as much as you want. ;)

3rd gen noob
07-14-2003, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by Jibbler@14 July 2003 - 07:49
Well, its a free service, what do you expect? Besides, I believe they limit your bandwidth to 50mb/day or something. When you pay for a server, you can download as much as you want. ;)
i have a free account with another isp (namely freeserve) and, like tc, am in scotland.

on freeserve, 99% or more of the binary groups are complete

there are no download limits whatsoever

stoi
07-14-2003, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by 3rd gen noob+14 July 2003 - 06:51--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (3rd gen noob @ 14 July 2003 - 06:51)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Jibbler@14 July 2003 - 07:49
Well, its a free service, what do you expect?&nbsp; Besides, I believe they limit your bandwidth to 50mb/day or something.&nbsp; When you pay for a server, you can download as much as you want. ;)
i have a free account with another isp (namely freeserve) and, like tc, am in scotland.

on freeserve, 99% or more of the binary groups are complete

there are no download limits whatsoever [/b][/quote]
Im with NTL in the uk and i know they get a bad press (dont know why though) and the newsgroups are great, 99% of stuff is complete and its quality stuff as well, not rubbish that you get on other servers.

max0d
07-16-2003, 12:32 AM
What are you guys doing paying so much for an ADSL connection? I pay £18:99 a month for 512/256. BTW dapadipz you BT broadband is not 576/288 it&#39;s the same as mine, thats just the numbers that are on the control status box.

Dapadipz
07-16-2003, 12:43 PM
What are you guys doing paying so much for an ADSL connection? I pay £18:99 a month for 512/256. BTW dapadipz you BT broadband is not 576/288 it&#39;s the same as mine, thats just the numbers that are on the control status box.
oh thanks hu is ur ISP cuz it luks like im payin too much

max0d
07-16-2003, 02:37 PM
Check out these guys. Absolutely no frills but they have one of the largest pipes of any UK ISP down in the docklands in London. http://www.fairadsl.co.uk/ . I&#39;ve had no problems with them for a while now.

TClite
07-16-2003, 08:26 PM
bloody hell good going that man, ill be signing up with them, is there any kind of associated fees? whats the activation fee and any other installation fees? or is it simply a case of activating the line and paying 19 quid a month

Dapadipz
07-16-2003, 09:46 PM
im thinkin of telling ma dad to get this. :D

will my current BT Voyager ADSL Modem be compatitble with this fairBROADBAND isp?

Dapadipz
07-16-2003, 09:47 PM
btw

Home 500
50:1 contention
dynamic IP address

wt is the ration 50:1 contention mean

and is dynamic ip were it always changes such as CABLE ips?

cheers&#33;

3rd gen noob
07-16-2003, 09:48 PM
you&#39;ve got to remember you&#39;ll probably have signed a contract with bt (for a year or longer) so you&#39;ll be tied into that unless you want to pay a fee to get out. don&#39;t know what the fee is.

and yes, the modem should be compatible with another isp&#39;s service

3rd gen noob
07-16-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Dapadipz@16 July 2003 - 22:47
btw

Home 500
50:1 contention
dynamic IP address

wt is the ration 50:1 contention mean

and is dynamic ip were it always changes such as CABLE ips?

cheers&#33;
50:1 contention ratio means that the maximum number of users sharing one line at any one tmie will be 50. however, this isn&#39;t a big problem yet in the uk. most providers for adsl in the uk are 50:1, most cable companies are 20:1

dynamic ip means the ip will change every day, three days, week, whatever.
every set period the ip will change

Dapadipz
07-16-2003, 09:54 PM
ok thanks 3rd gen noob

Dapadipz
07-20-2003, 07:52 PM
I&#39;ve had no problems with them for a while now.

wt problems did u have?

TClite
07-21-2003, 07:03 PM
Ive just read up about pipex&#39;s offerings on http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/22/31599.html

looks great, and about £5+ cheaper than the service im on now (currently i dont have any pop3 addresses provided, i have to use free mail services like hotmail -spam spam spam. Also have no binary newsgroup support, im basically paying £30+ for 512/265kbps) this service offers for £23 inc vat, 12 pop3 addresses 50MB of web space (which i forgot to mention - i currently dont have) 512/265kbps and over 30,000 newsgroups, no limits no loop holes......im definetly going for this, hopefully all the other bt users will boycott and join this service, bt is completely deplorable, the company should seriously re-think its marketing strategy and dislodge their money grabbing heads from their arses

http://www.xtreme.pipex.net/adsl/sales/sol...ns/residential/ (http://www.xtreme.pipex.net/adsl/sales/solutions/residential/)

to be pedantic for all you lazy soles :D