PDA

View Full Version : TVLinks Shut Down, Owner Arrested!

gnlstryker
10-20-2007, 04:30 PM
http://www.connectedinternet.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/tvlinks-crop.jpg"Probably the most popular video streaming site around has been busted by UK authorities."

"It's a sad day for streaming video fans everywhere as news has been reported that TVLinks has been shut down and the owner, a 26yo man from Chelteham in the UK, was arrested.

Though not hosting an actual content himself, and rather merely providing links to where particular titles can be found, he was nonetheless apparently charged for the "facilitation" of copyright infringement.

"Sites such as TV Links contribute to and profit from copyright infringement by identifying, posting, organizing, and indexing links to infringing content found on the internet that users can then view on demand by visiting these illegal sites," said a spokesman for Federation Against Copyright Theft (FACT) today.

What makes the charges so odd is that he was again, only providing LINKS to pirated content, and not actually hosting any such material. Can linking really be considered "facilitation?" If I link to TVLinks am I then a co-conspirator?

FACT goes on to revisit the same old diatribe about how piracy is stealing food from form the tables of people who work in the film industry, but with guys like Brad Pitt reportedly getting $20million bucks to make trash like "Babel" who's really robbing who? Couldn't Pitt be paid a little less, say $15 million, and leave that other 5 for the "starving" film crew? I guess not

"The theft and distribution of films harms the livelihoods of those working in the UK film industry and in ancillary industries, as well as damaging the economy," said FACT's director general Kieron Sharp.

What's even more surprising is that the move was part of an overall strategy to crack down on piracy, though all it does is target a middleman who tells you where to go. More importantly, will its demise really compel people to find content legally or to suddenly run down to their local cinema? I think not, and all it means, as is usually the case with piracy, is that people will just go elsewhere.

Either way R.I.P. TVLinks, it was nice while it lasted. Maybe once again we have a case where Sweden's the only answer."

:source: Source: ZeroPaid (http://www.zeropaid.com/news/9066/TVLinks+Shut+Down%2C+Owner+Arrested%21)

zema
10-20-2007, 08:24 PM
Poor guy! I think we should look more toward Russia until they block it. At the moment You can find lots of stuff, unfortunately in Russian...

davidw89
10-21-2007, 09:27 AM
SO the site is gone? Sigh..stay with youtube i guess

ea007
10-21-2007, 09:32 AM
noooo i liked that site :(

Cheese
10-21-2007, 09:40 AM
I guess this means they will be after Mulder as well, seeing as he linked us all to the site in the lounge. :(

munaaf
10-21-2007, 01:27 PM
ahh grr unlucky used that site a fair bit wot a shame
use peekvid pretty good am i co-conspiring? lol

DikTation
10-23-2007, 12:55 PM
SHIIIIIIT!! tht was a good as site! well im jus gonna hav to use all the links there site went to i guess :)

xps600
10-23-2007, 02:20 PM
wow I'm surprised he was arrested. Things sure aren't the same as they used to be huh!

DikTation
10-24-2007, 10:34 AM
cinecast it is then hopefully there back up sooon!!

rupertek
10-24-2007, 09:46 PM
WTF! this is getting worse day after day! :(

99shassan
10-24-2007, 11:08 PM
can I just ask, why are people not buying servers in places like sweden or that country I think its called sealand?

AmpeD
10-24-2007, 11:32 PM
this means that warez could be hit soon

S!X
10-25-2007, 02:15 AM
man they're totally cleaning house now eh..

akennard12
10-25-2007, 04:19 AM
What awful news. It looks like I now have to seek out a new form of procrastination now.