PDA

View Full Version : Omfg, Help

Seedler
10-21-2007, 01:40 AM
This has got to be fucking shittest thing that can ever happen to your rig.

So basically yesterday I was just browsing facebook, when all of the sudden I hear a clunk and my screen goes complete black. So I was like wtf, tried ctrl+alt+delete and got no response, so I held the power button for like 5 seconds but still nothing happened.

When I finally opened my case, it turns out the MOTHERBOARD fell off of the mobo risers, and touched the metallic parts of my case. I guess this is my fault because hen I built this comp 2 years ago, I cheaped out and got a $20 dollar case which came with plastic mobo risers.

So now I've got a dead comp, wtf do I do. This piece of crap P3 500mhz 6-year Toshiba satellite laptop I'm using is seriously pishing me off.

:frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty:

Appzalien
10-21-2007, 02:41 AM
If you have no power at all, I would check the power supply. But I wouldn't buy a new one yet, I would open it up and look for a changeable fuse and if its there and its blown, take it out and to radio shack and let the salesperson identify the size for you. You can often tell if a fuse is blown by looking closely at the wire that runs thru the glass tube or if you have a meter check its continuity. Wouldn't it be nice if all you need is a one dollar fuse.

I have been inside quite a few supplies and they are not dangerous like a crt monitor would be, the capacitors in there will shock you but no worse than a taser. Just be careful, remove 4-6 screws to take off the top plate, you may also have to remove a few screws and a small circuit board to get at the fuse. If your really concerned about the capacitors you can short one of the solder points to the case for each of the two big ones to discharge them, there the ones that can give you a jolt.

kaiweiler
10-21-2007, 03:44 AM
...the capacitors in there will shock you but no worse than a taser. ...

Hahaha :D

S!X
10-21-2007, 08:06 AM
it turns out the MOTHERBOARD fell off of the mobo risers, and touched the metallic parts of my case.

Owned..how the fuck would a mobo fall off of the mounts? :ermm:

clocker
10-21-2007, 11:10 AM
So now I've got a dead comp, wtf do I do.

:frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty::frusty:

Seedler, you're reputedly a smart boy so what do you mean "wtf do I do"?
The motherboard is probably fried and the rest of the stuff (assuming it's the same vintage as the CPU) is junk as well.

Replace the machine.

clocker
10-21-2007, 11:17 AM
@Appzalien...
A motherboard mysteriously falls from it's mounts and grounds on the case- the PC dies and your first impulse is to open up the power supply?

hmm.

mr. nails
10-21-2007, 11:40 AM
WoW, that pretty much sux. now u know not to gimp urself on ur next case. only thing to ever happen to me like that was my monitor. i had it for 7 years and it pretty much blew up in my face. lol, the fucker was on fire and i freaked out. threw it off my balcony. :) now i've got this great 24 inch WS LCD. never looking back to crt again. bad times 4 u. hope u had some money saved.

BawA
10-21-2007, 03:48 PM
So now I've got a dead comp, wtf do I do
well 1st thing you can do is remove your sig :naughty:

tesco
10-21-2007, 05:03 PM
I don't see how it can just fall off.
Surely the video card, which is screwed into the case, would hold it in place? :blink:

optimus_prime
10-21-2007, 06:33 PM
yeah, besides all the connectors and stuff plugged into back should hold it :) never heard of such thing, plastic spacers are spacers, but you screw your board with screws don't you :)
anyway, find out what exactly died, damage made that way shouldn't affect your budget too much.

Seedler
10-22-2007, 01:24 AM
Owned..how the fuck would a mobo fall off of the mounts? :ermm:

Because I had 4 feeble PLASTIC risers, that had undergone about 2 years of brutal abuse. (moved around for LANs, tossed around in cars) One of them had the round edges wore out and the rest of them just popped out of their place.

So now I've got a dead comp, wtf do I do.

Seedler, you're reputedly a smart boy so what do you mean "wtf do I do"?
The motherboard is probably fried and the rest of the stuff (assuming it's the same vintage as the CPU) is junk as well.

Replace the machine.

Yah, I was hoping that maybe I could salvage some parts? The HDD, optical drives most likely, but would the CPU/RAM/Gfx card *maybe* survive? Because I don't have another socket 939 mobo lying around to test the parts:(

So now I've got a dead comp, wtf do I do
well 1st thing you can do is remove your sig :naughty:

:pinch: Indeed, I got wtfpwnt.

I don't see how it can just fall off.
Surely the video card, which is screwed into the case, would hold it in place? :blink:

Eh, wtf? The video card is supposed to be screwed into the case?:blink:

I just have it fixed into my mobo hanging. And the monitor DVI cable thingy plugged into it.

clocker
10-22-2007, 02:40 AM
Eh, wtf? The video card is supposed to be screwed into the case?:blink:

Yeah, it is.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v78/clocker/VidScrew.jpg

BTW, I had misread your first post and didn't realize that you had s939 stuff.
Worth keeping, if possible.

MaaxHimself
10-22-2007, 02:44 AM
Nice pic:yup:

BawA
10-22-2007, 01:17 PM
Yah, I was hoping that maybe I could salvage some parts? The HDD, optical drives most likely, but would the CPU/RAM/Gfx card *maybe* survive? Because I don't have another socket 939 mobo lying around to test the parts
if you had an spare pc you could have check all parts your self but since you have a laptop you can take it to any retailers and have them checked, dont tell them you intend to buy new parts cuz then they will most probably tell you what you dont want to hear.
just check whether mobo is giving any light, most of mobo's have a green light in them to confirm that power is reaching, if you see one on then its not PS problem nor mobo(atleast hardware wise).
just check whether any parts are loosen, something m8 came out of their place, just try to re-attach all major parts(ram, cpu and vga).

Seedler
10-22-2007, 09:16 PM
Yah, I was hoping that maybe I could salvage some parts? The HDD, optical drives most likely, but would the CPU/RAM/Gfx card *maybe* survive? Because I don't have another socket 939 mobo lying around to test the parts
if you had an spare pc you could have check all parts your self but since you have a laptop you can take it to any retailers and have them checked, dont tell them you intend to buy new parts cuz then they will most probably tell you what you dont want to hear.
just check whether mobo is giving any light, most of mobo's have a green light in them to confirm that power is reaching, if you see one on then its not PS problem nor mobo(atleast hardware wise).
just check whether any parts are loosen, something m8 came out of their place, just try to re-attach all major parts(ram, cpu and vga).

Eh thx, the mobo is dead I'm pretty sure, I'm just trying to save the CPU/ram/gfx card. Taking the stuff to a friend's of a friend's house and testing each individual part.

After prolly getting a new PC for Xmas.

And why is socket 939 stuff worth keeping?:huh:

PS thx for that pic me guess clocker, next time I'll use screws.:pinch:

LESSON LEARNED: BUY A GOOD COMP CASE WITH GOOD METALLIC MOBO RISERS PEOPLE, CHEAP OUT NOW AND CRY LATER

S!X
10-22-2007, 09:55 PM

Sell it on craigslist, you'll probably find some buyers.

clocker
10-23-2007, 12:29 AM

Because it still works quite well and allows for the use of much of the newest stuff (i.e.SATA and PCI-e video).
IMO, the s939 processors coupled with a nForce4 chipset will be remembered as one of the great platforms and even now, despite being overshadowed by the Intel Core series (and the eighty gazzillion chipsets that support it), it still does most things quickly enough for the home user.

Hell, right now is s939 bottomfeeders paradise.
I've seen chips like the Opteron 180 that I paid $300 for (used!) a year and a half/ two years ago going for under $50 on forums.
Regular DDR is almost a throwaway since nothing supports it anymore.

So...if it's just your motherboard that died, yeah, s939 is worth keeping alive.

Appzalien
10-23-2007, 03:55 PM
@Appzalien...
A motherboard mysteriously falls from it's mounts and grounds on the case- the PC dies and your first impulse is to open up the power supply?

hmm.

Yes, a major short to ground and no power steers me to powersupply fuse.

clocker
10-23-2007, 04:16 PM
Yes, a major short to ground and no power steers me to powersupply fuse.
I can't remember the last time I saw a PSU with a replaceable fuse.
It's very possible that the supply is dead but I'd wager that it's almost a certainty that the motherboard went first and (maybe) took the PSU with it.

Time (and presumably, Seedler) will tell.

Appzalien
10-23-2007, 11:51 PM
Not so, not with a direct short to the case. Unless a specific short occurs that redirects say 12volts to a 3 volt area of the mobo there should be no damage to the board unless its physical (from the fall) there is no 120volt ac to the board remember. Your right about the replaceable fuse, at least as in from the outside. Thats why I told him how to get inside. When you send a supply thats dead in for repair or replacement what do you think they do? they open it up and change the fuse (it is replaceable, its in one of those pop out clamp type holders inside the unit. Some have more than one fuse in there).

Actually the first thing I would do is check the supply with a meter but I figured if the guy hasn't a clue he hasn't a meter either.

lynx
10-23-2007, 11:51 PM
I'm with clocker on this one.

If the PSU is blown, then it must have been pretty poor quality in the first place. A basic requirement of any PSU is the ability to shut down before a dead short does any damage.

clocker
10-24-2007, 12:54 AM
Not so, not with a direct short to the case. Unless a specific short occurs that redirects say 12volts to a 3 volt area of the mobo there should be no damage to the board unless its physical (from the fall) there is no 120volt ac to the board remember.
Huh?
There are about a million protruding contacts on a motherboard and at least half of them would cause a dead short if the live board touched a metallic case.
Pffftt!!
Your right about the replaceable fuse, at least as in from the outside. Thats why I told him how to get inside. When you send a supply thats dead in for repair or replacement what do you think they do?
I think they throw it away and send a new one.
Given the economies of production it would be cheaper to replace than open it up and troubleshoot a problem.
they open it up and change the fuse (it is replaceable, its in one of those pop out clamp type holders inside the unit. Some have more than one fuse in there).
Of all the PSUs I've personally opened up I have never seen a fuse in a clamp style holder- they have all been soldered in.

Chewie
10-24-2007, 04:56 AM
Not so, not with a direct short to the case. Unless a specific short occurs that redirects say 12volts to a 3 volt area of the mobo there should be no damage to the board unless its physical (from the fall) there is no 120volt ac to the board remember.
Huh?
There are about a million protruding contacts on a motherboard and at least half of them would cause a dead short if the live board touched a metallic case.
Pffftt!!
Your right about the replaceable fuse, at least as in from the outside. Thats why I told him how to get inside. When you send a supply thats dead in for repair or replacement what do you think they do?
I think they throw it away and send a new one.
Given the economies of production it would be cheaper to replace than open it up and troubleshoot a problem.
they open it up and change the fuse (it is replaceable, its in one of those pop out clamp type holders inside the unit. Some have more than one fuse in there).
Of all the PSUs I've personally opened up I have never seen a fuse in a clamp style holder- they have all been soldered in.Some years ago I had an AT PSU with a replaceable fuse but every one (all ATX, BTW) I've opened since hasn't. I just grabbed the fans (yeah I'm a tight old git!) then junked them.

Appzalien
10-24-2007, 01:29 PM
Geeze, Sorry I tried to help. Next time I'll let you brainy experts get them to spend their money instead of being a little adventurous.

clocker
10-24-2007, 03:36 PM
Geeze, Sorry I tried to help. Next time I'll let you brainy experts get them to spend their money instead of being a little adventurous.
Didn't mean to be heavyhanded and I completely approve of healthy curiousity but...

What happens if young Seedy does open up the PSU, finds that the fuse is soldered in (which I can almost guarantee it will be) and somehow manages to replace it?
We already know the lad has no PSU tester- else there wouldn't be a reason to post in the first place- so how to see what's what? Plug into the motherboard which leapt off it's moorings and is possibly dead (and IMO, almost certainly damaged)?

That combo fails to POST but you (he) still doesn't know which, if not both, components are at fault.
So, he could test the PSU with his friend's PC but if the supply is faulty it may not POST OR it may take that motherboard out as well.
So...still no POST but maybe TWO dead PCs instead of just one.
And, a pissed off friend.

For a home user, without access to disposable PCs to test on, by far the fastest and most economical approach would be to replace the motherboard and the PSU and hope that the RAM and CPU are still good (which they most likely are but we can't just assume even that as yet).

Seeds has already said that using his backup crap laptop is driving him crazy, do you really want to push him closer to the edge?

Appzalien
10-25-2007, 03:01 PM
OK, so he goes to replace the motherboard and finds they don't make it anymore or he has to roll the dice and buy one from e-bay, Oh heck just get a newer board and powersupply but damn, now I need new memory and a new cpu for the new board... you might as well tell him to buy a new machine. I've been tinkering since the day I could walk and I don't buy a new one until all avenues are covered. And your wrong about the board, thats what fuses are for to blow before parts are damaged, were talking no more than 12volts DC here and by the way if you agree that the powersupply is gone be it fuse or other, why would you suggest buying both a board and a supply when clearly it would be too his advantage to just get a supply first (or replace the fuse) and see for himself if the board is gone? You make little sense in your argument.

Chewie
10-25-2007, 04:57 PM
...I've been tinkering since the day I could walk...If I've told you once, I've told you a thousand times, don't exaggerate!"

tesco
10-25-2007, 11:22 PM
OK, so he goes to replace the motherboard and finds they don't make it anymore or he has to roll the dice and buy one from e-bay, Oh heck just get a newer board and powersupply but damn, now I need new memory and a new cpu for the new board... you might as well tell him to buy a new machine. I've been tinkering since the day I could walk and I don't buy a new one until all avenues are covered. And your wrong about the board, thats what fuses are for to blow before parts are damaged, were talking no more than 12volts DC here and by the way if you agree that the powersupply is gone be it fuse or other, why would you suggest buying both a board and a supply when clearly it would be too his advantage to just get a supply first (or replace the fuse) and see for himself if the board is gone? You make little sense in your argument.
Your arguments don't actually make sense.
A single fuse cannot protect the motherboard.
The power supply is feeding 3volts, 5 volts, and 12 volts to the motherboard.
They would alll need to be fused seperately.

If everythingn is sharing one fuse then it will be the 120/240VAC input to the power supply that's fused, not protecting the motherboard.

But I do like your thinking though. IF his power supply happens to have a fuse for every feed leaving it (keep in mind i've never seen a fuse inside of a PSU), it could be a good idea to try replacing those before buying a new one.
Easier to just borrow one from a friend to try.

edit: BTW your AT power supply probably had a fuse because the switch for it on the front of the pc was 120/240 and ran through the inside of the case.

Seedler
10-29-2007, 02:29 AM
Your arguments don't actually make sense.
A single fuse cannot protect the motherboard.
The power supply is feeding 3volts, 5 volts, and 12 volts to the motherboard.
They would alll need to be fused seperately.

If everythingn is sharing one fuse then it will be the 120/240VAC input to the power supply that's fused, not protecting the motherboard.

But I do like your thinking though. IF his power supply happens to have a fuse for every feed leaving it (keep in mind i've never seen a fuse inside of a PSU), it could be a good idea to try replacing those before buying a new one.
Easier to just borrow one from a friend to try.

edit: BTW your AT power supply probably had a fuse because the switch for it on the front of the pc was 120/240 and ran through the inside of the case.

Took it to friend's house today, and yes the mobo and RAM are dead. CPU, gfx card, HDD, optical drives and PSU are all intact. Now to scraping this case and building a new rig...

Chewie
10-29-2007, 07:24 AM
Now to scraping this case and building a new rig...Scraping the case for what? Is it some sort of smear test?:sick:

Well at least you have nailed down the problem.
I see plenty of 939 boards on offer all over the net here in the UK but unless you've got an AGP gfx card (can't be arsed to go check :P) it might be a better option to upgrade to Intel.

Edit:
Shit, just seen your other thread.:frusty: [goddammit where's the headslapsmilie?]

Seedler
10-29-2007, 02:28 PM
Now to scraping this case and building a new rig...Scraping the case for what? Is it some sort of smear test?:sick:

Well at least you have nailed down the problem.
I see plenty of 939 boards on offer all over the net here in the UK but unless you've got an AGP gfx card (can't be arsed to go check :P) it might be a better option to upgrade to Intel.

Edit:
Shit, just seen your other thread.:frusty: [goddammit where's the headslapsmilie?]

Yah thx, but I'm selling the parts because I want a new rig anyway, the old one was just a little too dated.