PDA

View Full Version : what kind of server do u need for a seedbox?

WarrenBuffet
10-21-2007, 03:52 PM
Ima noob with seed boxes. SO do you need a VPS, a dedicated server or virtual host? or do they all work but 1 is only cheaper or one is faster?

Fibre
10-21-2007, 04:40 PM
VPS if you're on a budget. Dedicated if you have cash to splash.

spark
10-21-2007, 04:42 PM
Dedicated....

WarrenBuffet
10-21-2007, 04:50 PM
whats the difference? is it speed or storage?

thejosher
10-21-2007, 04:52 PM
whats the difference? is it speed or storage?

VPS is sharing the box with other users (though virtualized so everything is private)

Dedicated is you being the only user of the hardware.

WarrenBuffet
10-21-2007, 04:55 PM
So whats the fastest speeds you would achieve on a typical VPS?

and if someone IS lets say I dunno, uploading a torrent from a public tracker with thousands of leachers and maxes out the U/L pipe, then I wouldn't be able 2 upload anything?

MrLazy
10-21-2007, 04:57 PM
it depends what seedbox you're using .. i would go with dedicated if you're regular connection isnt that great .. i personally dont need a seedbox :)

WarrenBuffet
10-21-2007, 05:02 PM
wtf do any seed boxes have to do with your local connection? Since your using a servers connection from afar...

Kyl3KK
10-21-2007, 05:09 PM
How fast you can upload/download to/from the seedbox via FTP. :)

I see you're looking hard for a seedbox...

WarrenBuffet
10-21-2007, 05:12 PM
I dunno, Im US based, so I would be looking for a US seedbox. and yes I am looking hard.

chillincool
10-21-2007, 05:59 PM
You don't need a US seedbox because you live in the US...you're going to get your full download speed from it no matter where it is...it is 100mbit after all. Any type of server is fine, you just need to have access to install the torrent application on it. So you just ssh it through putty and install rtorrent or torrentflux and a ftp program on it and then you're good to go(i'm sure there's tutorials somewhere). I use FlashFXP to get things off my box.

WarrenBuffet
10-21-2007, 06:05 PM
thanks, but I wish someone made an I depth tutorial

btw what do u mean "ssh it throught putty" and why install rtorrent and not utorrent?

chillincool
10-21-2007, 06:14 PM
Depends on if you buy a linux box or a windows box. Linux will be cheaper, and there's no linux utorrent client. SSH is like a secure/encrypted link that's a lot more safe than going through proxies, and putty is a program that you can use to make an ssh connection to a remote server. It's so that you can connect to your server remotely and use the cli.

iam1337
10-21-2007, 07:17 PM
You can use UTorrent on a linux box thru wine

wmumascot
10-22-2007, 04:37 PM
Doesn't matter where the seedbox is located in relation to you.... :unsure: if your in the US though, some host monitor your bandwidth.... If they see your using great amounts of bandwidth, you run the higher likely-hood of getting busted :pinch:

Looking for something in Germany or the likes... as for you transferring the files back to your machine, that is dictated by your home connection and not that of the server or its location.

VPS = Budget :yup:

If you don't know what your doing, I would recommend the VPS as the speeds would be similar to what you would find on a physical server and you don't have to worry about resetting the box if you mess something up :frusty:

However, if you know what you are doing, and for about $50 more you could get a low end physical server that offers more space and resources.:01:

Here are the tutorials your wondering about:
BT Dedicated Server/Seedbox (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-guides-and-tutorials-65/t-filesharing-bt-dedicated-serverseedbox-152272)
Installing uTorrent on a Leeware (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/f-guides-and-tutorials-65/t-filesharing-installing-utorrent-leeware-walkthrough-169620)

Fibre
10-22-2007, 09:31 PM
You don't need a US seedbox because you live in the US...you're going to get your full download speed from it no matter where it is...it is 100mbit after all.

Incorrect. During the peak times, many servers struggle to get 10mbit from EU to US and back. It's best to get a server close to home.

You can use UTorrent on a linux box thru wine

Unnecessary. Best to use rTorrent & RSSDler.

if your in the US though, some host monitor your bandwidth.... If they see your using great amounts of bandwidth, you run the higher likely-hood of getting busted

US hosts do no more monitoring than hosts in other countries. I have had boxes at SoftLayer & LayeredTech, no problems what so ever.

Looking for something in Germany or the likes... as for you transferring the files back to your machine, that is dictated by your home connection and not that of the server or its location.

Incorrect. Due to distance and congestion, it may not always be possible to max your connection from a seed box far away.