PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using seedboxhosting.com?

connector
10-22-2007, 09:35 AM
http://seedboxhosting.com/seedbox/ Has anyone used these guys yet? I'd like to know if they are legit or not. Here is what they list on their site:

Your own Linux installation with Ubuntu Feisty Fawn 7.04
Root access to your server
TorrentFlux-b4rt installed and ready to use
Your own IP address
50Gb hard drive space for the OS and all your files
1Gb swap space
256Mb ram
Unmetered 100Mbit connection
Unlimited torrents
$37 per monthAre these specs any good?

They also run http://torrentfluxhosting.com/torrentflux/ . Any opinions on these guys?

superseed101
10-22-2007, 10:10 AM
try jmh services there the best

stroj
10-22-2007, 11:26 AM
Hmm, i dont know why, but it looks a bit fishy to me..

connector
10-22-2007, 11:39 AM
Hmm, i dont know why, but it looks a bit fishy to me..That's kinda how I feel. Their whois info points to their domain registrar, so no help there.

It looks like a decent deal to me though. A cheap way to get started.

Fibre
10-22-2007, 01:24 PM
They're probably legit although for the same price (maybe a little bit cheaper) you could get your own VPS from Hosting-IE.

wmumascot
10-22-2007, 04:11 PM
Fibre and stroj are both on the right track.... For what your paying these fly by night site operators to purchase a VPS, you could purchase your own physical server with a little more money.

Hint:
They have been around less than 45 days.... :unsure: I have a dedicated server that I use, and I am paying $90 bucks for :angry: and I get way more than what they are offering you. :D
Processors: Dual Core Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz, 2Mb Cache
Memory: 512Mb RAM
Hard Disk: 2x 160GB 7200rpm
Bandwidth: 5,000GB Bandwidth Per Month
OS: Linux - Fedora Core 7Most users won't even use close to this amount of bandwidth in a month, unless you have uploading privileges to a truly private tracker. I'll be upping the Ram to 1GB and HDD to a 500 GB space later this month, which is only costing me $20 more total :01:

You do the math... your only paying for their server cost and getting to use a fraction of the total bandwidth offered. Heck for another $13, you can purchase a slot on my server ;)

This post is not intended as an advertisement..... Do not PM me about renting a slot on my box!

connector
10-22-2007, 11:53 PM
No one thinks this is a good deal? I've searched for anything close to this, and haven't found it. Sure there are better boxes, but they start at almost twice as much. $37USD for unlimited bandwidth seems like a fair deal to me. Am I missing something, other than that they are unknown company?

donvito
10-23-2007, 12:00 AM
there is no way its "unmetered". that would be in the $400-$600 range if im not mistaken...

wmumascot
10-23-2007, 02:29 AM
:huh: It can be unmetered for that price.... Look at what Leeware was offering, for something similar. If your total space is only 1GB then you are really getting robbed :angry:. You can't even download any DVDr/XviD/Svcd with that amount of limited space, as most are about 1.35 Gb or more.

It's your money, but I suggest that you do a search for VPS, since that is what you are basically paying for. If you don't really download large files, then stick with what you got, but don't say no one warned you :( . The chances of you using more than 2Tb of data is very rare if your the only one using the box :nono:
, and for that price you couldn't possible get any one else to buy in.... Plus once you add everything up, for $13 more, you could get something that has a little bit more to offer.

Search the forums for anything related to seedbox, and you can find numerous suggestions for VPS offers:console:

connector
10-23-2007, 03:41 AM
Thanks for the input guys. You're right, and I think I'll just go with a proven company.

jeffr18
10-23-2007, 04:51 AM
just because its unmetered doesnt mean its worth the money, think about how many people they are throwing on one box, and Im sure that box is already using a shared hosting line. So in the end, if you could even get 10mbit worth of speed for any period of time I would be amazed.

briand5379
10-23-2007, 06:47 AM
Well as they say you get what you pay for so don't be suprised if it doesn't meet or exceed your expectations. Stick with one's that are tried and trusted.

skamxxiii
01-08-2008, 09:41 PM
If any one is wondering, they in my opinion, suck!! At first they were great then I had nothing but problems with hung applications and it restarting on me. the max connections for my srever they said should be under 50. The server load was alway high. Example i had 1 torrent running with 12 connection running at 150kbs and the server load was .86 I had to restart transfers form the server to my house at least three times to completely transfer a dvd. Had nothingt but problems and their server was down for a day before coming back up. Also i had to wait forever when i wanted to logon or check something but if they fix the problem in the near future it could be a decent seedbox but till then stay away.

Submission
01-08-2008, 11:00 PM
FYI: Dont ever use a torrentflux service.

Why? There are only 2 available clients for torrentflux b4rt. Old transmission and bittornado. Bittornado is pure hell and you cannot have more than 1-2 people per server without major slowdowns. The latest transmission supported by torrentflux b4rt is an old outdated and banned client.

slayer2005
01-09-2008, 12:19 AM
Thats expensive.You can get ur own dedicated with 2000gig bw with windows for 51$.
i just purchased 1.Go to webhostingtalk and go to the forums and dedicated offers.
youl get plenty of differnat offers everyday.:-)

t0mmy
01-09-2008, 12:57 AM
if your planning on going torrentflux ive had experience with jmhservices, they were pretty good, nice speeds

0ctane
01-09-2008, 01:08 AM
just get you own host and install flux yourself i never trust any host who pre installs them for you usually they will not give you root access

vizard
01-09-2008, 03:56 AM
I attempted to install the utorrent on one of my dedicated servers, but i failed and ended up having to wait 4 hours for the tech guy to re-start my machine lol.

im highly interested in this JMH hosting seed box deal.

Our base seed box. Offering you a good starter box with plenty of options at an economy price:

What's included?

45 Gig of HDD space

1000 Gig Bandwidth per month

FTP access to your directory

Training and support

Download and upload what you want from where you want

Shared with a max of 4 users

49.99/m USD

Free Setup

where it sais 4 shared users, does that mean only 4 people can download from the tracker at once?

MpEgDiStRo
03-24-2008, 12:50 AM
If any one is wondering, they in my opinion, suck!! At first they were great then I had nothing but problems with hung applications and it restarting on me. the max connections for my srever they said should be under 50. The server load was alway high. Example i had 1 torrent running with 12 connection running at 150kbs and the server load was .86 I had to restart transfers form the server to my house at least three times to completely transfer a dvd. Had nothingt but problems and their server was down for a day before coming back up. Also i had to wait forever when i wanted to logon or check something but if they fix the problem in the near future it could be a decent seedbox but till then stay away.Wow, I wish I would Have Seen This. I just Happened To Get One Of Those SeedBoxes Seems, It loves to hang and stated webpage is unavailable and then shows 48 connections when it's only 1 person on it without any torrents.. It has been reported and I will dam make sure I get my funds back otherwise they will get shutdown for being stupid..

:whistling

thoughtobject
04-24-2008, 10:35 PM
Hello everyone, its nice to see that there is so much interest in seedboxhosting.com

Disclosure: I work for seedboxhosting.com

When SeedboxHosting.com launched we had an unexpected demand for seedboxes and during this time a failing hard drive went unnoticed for some time. It ended up bringing a whole server down and was a headache for a number of customers. This has long been fixed and we now use hardware Raid cards (raid 5) to minimise risk of hardware failure.

We have great speeds, many happy customers, and if there is a problem it is fixed right away. We have never had a dispute with a customer because we give full refunds to anyone who doesn't totally love our service (although most customers end up finding they can't live without it.)

We are growing quickly and have been forced to have a long waiting list that seemed to be never ending, rather than overload each server with too many customers.

We have since received new funding and have been buying more and more multi-core servers with fast hardware raid and putting them on our own dedicated bandwidth (not shared).

Through our fits and starts we have learned a lot and decided to focus on one thing and do it well - making seedboxes available to anyone that are easy to use over the web.

We don't provide w$ndows or remote desktop. We run only lean Linux servers and each customer gets their own private installation (no one else can slow you down). However, we do not require our users to know anything about Linux. If you can use Gmail or Hotmail, you can use our seedboxes.

We do provide the very latest torrentflux interface and backend torrent clients. At the time of this writing that means torrentflux-b4rt_1.0-beta-2 and Transmission 1.11. We have found Transmission to be great for low memory usage and easy on server resources. We are always upgrading this software to the very latest available because private trackers tend to ban older clients.

Our customers privacy is very important to us, therefore we spent a lot of time designing our database and systems to work in a way that does not keep any data connecting a user's information or Paypal subscription to a server or IP address. Our customers can request a new seedbox and IP address any time they want. The old seedbox is immediately reformatted, reinstalled and put back into the cue. Our customer gets a fresh seedbox and brand new IP address without any extra charge. It is too bad that media giants are choosing to sue their own customers. Seedbox Hosting customers can't get sued because information connecting IP address to our customers does not exist.

If you want to set up your own seedbox, there are many great companies to get a server from, especially if you know how to administer servers and install software remotely.

What we provide is a bit different - a seedbox all set up and ready to use over the web without the hassle of setting it up yourself.

If anyone remains unconvinced that we are legit, PM me and i will be happy to set you up with a free trial seedbox.

Cheers,
-=nathan

dunson
04-25-2008, 12:08 AM
I signed up for their waitlist early on and got offered a spot a few weeks ago, but had already gone elsewhere. I really don't think the site is fishy. I do think there are better deals than torrentflux hosts like that.