PDA

View Full Version : Account disabled of inactivity...

ZedZedZed
10-24-2007, 12:16 PM
Well, if one´s account gets disabled of inactivity, and you join the site again. Will you be banned or disabled again?
Because you have had an account formerly...

This may be different from tracker to tracker... what about ftn?:whistling

Skiz
10-24-2007, 12:18 PM
Surely not. Any FAQs that I've read have no issues with that whatsoever.

Daniel
10-24-2007, 12:20 PM
Some trackers may prevent you from signing up again if you still have their old cookies stored in your browser but that's more a technical issue than anything else. Your account wasn't banned but pruned because of inactivity and I've never heard of any tracker that specifically forbids you to create a new one.

GoodOmens
10-24-2007, 12:35 PM
Some torrent sites request you notify the admins so they can reactivate your account .. however that would be specified in the terms / FAQ's

seppypom
10-24-2007, 12:38 PM
its one of those, what site are you refering to questions?

our site used to have a really long purge time, we disabled the account but left the account in the database. we never deleted the accounts.

psxcite
10-24-2007, 01:25 PM
Bitme and BitmeTv are like that. They keep purged accounts in their DB for a looooong time.

seppypom
10-24-2007, 01:32 PM
Bitme and BitmeTv are like that. They keep purged accounts in their DB for a looooong time.

they keep disabled accounts, purge means getting rid of them

Melvinmeow
10-24-2007, 01:33 PM
its one of those, what site are you refering to questions?

our site used to have a really long purge time, we disabled the account but left the account in the database. we never deleted the accounts.

We do the same on my site.

When a user contacts us on irc or wherever we normally just re-enable the account for them.
(I ussually change their password so they have to recover it by the email address they used on the account. Which ussually proves they were the original account holder.)

I would imagine most sites would just re-enable them if the accounts are still on the db.
And even if they dont you werent really banned so I dont see an issue why you wouldnt/shouldnt be allowed a new account.

ZedZedZed
10-24-2007, 02:31 PM
Thanks for your replies :)

carinio
10-24-2007, 03:02 PM
all the trackers disable the inactive accounts, usually for a month

thejosher
10-24-2007, 03:18 PM
Yeah, the vast majority of trackers won't ban you if you're account was deleted due to inactivity... and a lot will reactivate you if you ask nicely :)

LaoziSailor
10-29-2007, 07:57 PM
It would be real good if their "disabling due to inactivity" procedures took into account a GOOD ratio as an exemption to the action.

While if there is a facility to PARK your account it is one's responsibility to do so, there are many circumstances that keep one from doing it. That's when a GOOD ratio should be considered.

Just my $.02

yucky123
10-30-2007, 02:05 AM
Does Inactivity refer to:

NOT visiting the tracker site
(so will they disable acct if u don't check out their HTTP site after a specified time)

or

NOT seeding or leeching something associated with the tracker site
(so will they disable acct if u haven't seeded / leeched something after a specified time)

or

BOTH?
(does BOTH have to be true before acct can be disabled?)

Polarbear
10-30-2007, 02:08 AM
Does Inactivity refer to:

NOT visiting the tracker site
(so will they disable acct if u don't check out their HTTP site after a specified time)

or

NOT seeding or leeching something associated with the tracker site
(so will they disable acct if u haven't seeded / leeched something after a specified time)

or

BOTH?
(does BOTH have to be true before acct can be disabled?)

it depends on the tracker. ask in your tracker's forum to be sure.

albatrossSKYER
10-30-2007, 02:10 AM
usually it just takes logging in to keep you from being removed. they only need to see some activity and if you have to go on a vacation some trackers will let you park your account for the time your gone.

yucky123
10-30-2007, 02:21 AM
If what Albatross says is true, then I must say, the site that uses the HTTP activity to determine expiration is a rather silly.

Even with "parking", this policy would disencourage users with dedicated Torrent servers from seeding while they are away from access to a computer.

Every1 loses, the user can't accumulate ratio, the track site loses a valuable seeder.

LaoziSailor
10-30-2007, 11:46 AM
If what Albatross says is true, then I must say, the site that uses the HTTP activity to determine expiration is a rather silly.

Even with "parking", this policy would disencourage users with dedicated Torrent servers from seeding while they are away from access to a computer.

Every1 loses, the user can't accumulate ratio, the track site loses a valuable seeder.Absolutely correct! and

it depends on the tracker. ask in your tracker's forum to be sure. is also correct, it's just that after you've been disabled you can't get back on (considering they are not accepting new registrations).

Even when you try to IRC (if they have the facility), mods will ussually not pay attention and without naming sites I should temper the statement that some DO pay attention and will re-instate you.

It's just far too bureaucratic and totalitarian.

As you say "Every1 loses" because after a while you just stop trying.