PDA

View Full Version : Still Using That Pesky Adobe Acrobat?

fstrulz
10-24-2007, 04:49 PM
For all of you who didn't know... There's a much more lightweight, faster, and better pdf reader:

Foxit Reader (http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader_2/down_reader.htm)

It's FREE by the way. :)

Actatoi
10-24-2007, 05:43 PM
Thank you for the tip, gonna try it out.

Jaggster
10-24-2007, 05:51 PM
Will check it out :)

kirktrix
10-24-2007, 06:15 PM
Thanks... I will check it out...

DooMeD68
10-24-2007, 08:58 PM
intersting little PDF reader - cheers i wil have a lOOk !

Chewie
10-24-2007, 11:02 PM
It's surprising how many people think they need Adobe's bloated reader for PDFs. I've been recommending and installing Foxit for years.
Small & fast, it's one of the best freeware programs on the net IMO.

Snee
10-25-2007, 02:38 PM
Like I've already said before, it's alright, assuming you're not too bothered with not being able to open all pdf-documents.

Ran into a document with some interactive content and whatnot foxit just couldn't handle just the other day whilst helping someone else, for instance. It wouldn't display the document at all, just went black, and then crashed. The same document even worked like a charm (barring certain forms which just didn't display) in a very old, and presumably less bloated, version of adobe reader, when we tried that (obviously the latest version managed everything).

I've since read up on Foxit, never bothered to try it since adobe reader never gave me any issues, once I'd been tinkering with it for a bit, shutting down some stuff (it's not as if an install amounting to 38MBs or something makes a noticable impact on a 400GB drive). It's not exactly unheard of, or even that uncommon, either, for foxit to not render documents entirely properly. And on some systems it's been known to use more memory than adobe reader.

Not saying that we shouldn't try other options, since Adobe reader does have a lot of flaws, but foxit is hardly the ultimate solution. You might as well use sumatra (http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sumatrapdf/index.html) or whatever if you can make do with something basic.

It's a bit like Open Office vs. regular Office. Every now and then you'll lose the formating of a table or get the page numbering buggered if you've made something with one and are now opening it with the other.

Adobe, like MS, controls the standard, and are bound to mess around with it, possibly just to keep the alternatives down.

So yeah, at this point, unless there's something better than foxit, you do need Adobe's bloated reader if you want to be able to open any PDF.

fstrulz
10-25-2007, 03:52 PM
@Snee... I've been using Foxit Reader for over 2 years now and never had any problem, even when reading big documents and eBooks...

Maybe it's hardware (i.e. RAM) related with you?

Actatoi
10-25-2007, 08:51 PM
Used it some today and so far so good, really fast too.

100%
10-25-2007, 08:56 PM
@snee Foxit does all i need it to do, mainly viewing pdf's and once a year tax reports. No complaints or errors so far.

mr. nails
10-25-2007, 10:54 PM
i've never even heard of this foxit business. i just did a format and to read the changelogs for nVidias video drivers i need a pdf reader. was gettin' ready to install the new 8.1.1 adobe reader tonite. that's basically all i use pdf for is for nVidia. i've NEVER had a need to use it otherwise. foxit is something i need to look in to? thx for the heads up.

mbucari1
10-26-2007, 07:18 AM
It is a good alternative, but snee is right that it can't render some docs. However, those are so few and far between that it's almost a non-issue.

I like foxit because it's a stand-alone app and takes almost 0 time to launch (MUCH unlike acrobat reader)

Snee
10-26-2007, 05:17 PM
@Snee... I've been using Foxit Reader for over 2 years now and never had any problem, even when reading big documents and eBooks...

No, Foxit just can't render certain multimedia content in pdfs. I don't know if they support it at all, if they do I assume they are a couple of steps behind the latest revision of the format.

The particular one I tried had flash-forms and whatnot.
Foxit also has trouble rendering text in certain documents as previously stated. It's in no way hardware-related, as it's happened on more than one machine. Not to mention that I know a fair bit about how hardware-errors manifest themselves wrt software malfunctions.

Some people also claim that Sumatra renders certain text better, and/or sharper. I don't know about that, but I do know that it handles basic pdfs just as well as Foxit, from what I've seen.

Again, I'm not saying that exploring other options is bad, but Adobe Reader is still the only pdf-reader I know of that fully supports its own format :dabs:

sexydingo
10-26-2007, 06:22 PM
I've been using Foxit for a couple months now, no complaints.

kirktrix
10-27-2007, 10:53 AM
One question..

How can i change .pdf file to .jpg using Foxit...? Is there a way to change it...I downloaded foxit editor but cannot find a way to change it... anyone?..

bataya
10-28-2007, 11:08 AM
Foxit is gr8, i use it for a long time.... i hate big fat app like adobe acrobat, acdsee... etc

100%
10-28-2007, 01:45 PM
i've never even heard of this foxit business. i just did a format and to read the changelogs for nVidias video drivers i need a pdf reader. was gettin' ready to install the new 8.1.1 adobe reader tonite. that's basically all i use pdf for is for nVidia. i've NEVER had a need to use it otherwise. foxit is something i need to look in to? thx for the heads up.

yes yes yes, watch it load and smile.

One question..

How can i change .pdf file to .jpg using Foxit...? Is there a way to change it...I downloaded foxit editor but cannot find a way to change it... anyone?..

You are correct it does not have this option. does acrobat?

kirktrix
10-28-2007, 01:50 PM
You are correct it does not have this option. does acrobat?

Thanks... yup acrobat has it.. but only in professional edition....you can save as the file with different format.

wrongun92
10-28-2007, 06:03 PM
never new of this. could really use this program as my computer just freezes when loading a pdf from the website

Timer
10-29-2007, 05:36 PM
You can finish reading a whole book in foxit reader before adobe even opens. try it. =P

Allexandar
10-29-2007, 07:55 PM

True!
Small and fast,what else you need?!