PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Vista to XP ! - need to keep drivers !

digmen1
10-25-2007, 08:45 AM
Hi Guys

I have a friend who was sucked in to buying a new pc with Vista and only 512K of RAM.

We want to upgrade/downgrade him to XP but as his machine came with no motherboard driver disk I want to know if there is an easy way to copy the drivers off his machine.

I have been to the manufacturers web site but there are so many files available for download and I would not know what to do with them if i did !

Regards

Digby

The_Hunter
10-25-2007, 09:42 AM
i very much doubt the vista drivers will work with windows xp

DooMeD68
10-25-2007, 11:12 AM
total agreement with HUNTER ! non-compatibility !
most important drivers are for the motherboard - others can be trailed from whatever !
this also is the reason i build my own - you know what your getting to your own specs !

BawA
10-25-2007, 01:34 PM
how you UPgrade to xp from vista :wacko:
you downgrade... you cant do that, even small softwares like KLite codec packs cant downgrade then how can it be possible for an OS.

Chewie
10-25-2007, 04:50 PM
you downgrade... you cant do that, even small softwares like KLite codec packs cant downgrade then how can it be possible for an OS.He's talking about a format/install, I imagine.

Vista drivers won't work with XP. Best bet is to install EVEREST or something similar, then download XP drivers for all the hardware.

fstrulz
10-25-2007, 05:12 PM
you downgrade...
XP >> Vista

So I guess, digmen1 is right. :D

Chewie
10-26-2007, 10:31 PM
you downgrade...
XP >> Vista

So I guess, digmen1 is right. :D

I prefer Vista but then I am the only guy in the world that managed to have no problems with Windows ME. :\

lynx
10-27-2007, 12:20 AM
It would probably be easier and cheaper in the long run to buy an extra 512MB memory.

peat moss
10-27-2007, 01:43 AM
It would probably be easier and cheaper in the long run to buy an extra 512MB memory.

Ya then format , install XP . It should have most of the drivers but sound drivers may give you grief . Some poster suggested Everest and thats a neat idea , someone with experience . :D

Or before you format try a program like Driver Genie or the like . The sound is sooo easy to find I would n't worry about it , a member here would find it easily for you . :)

digmen1
10-27-2007, 04:40 PM
Thanks guys.

Upgrading to XP looks to hard so we have decided to get some more RAM.

But thanks very much for your help.

Regards

Digby

fstrulz
10-27-2007, 04:51 PM
@digmen1...

Have you guys tried Ubuntu (http://ubuntu.com)?

peat moss
10-27-2007, 07:34 PM
Thanks guys.

Upgrading to XP looks to hard so we have decided to get some more RAM.

But thanks very much for your help.

Regards

Digby

Its only as hard as you make it or so I tell my wife , kidding a side the sales rep were your friend bought the computer should be shot ! I mean come on 512 mb for Vista ? Win 98 or Win 2000 ok .

I have friends that bought computers with Vista and 2gb of ram that complain to me about performance , which is why I usually format and install XP Pro for them . I always delete the bullshit partition and just give them a copy of Black or Indego . Using programs like Everest or Belarc well help you with the drivers or google is a good start .

Buy the ram but be careful , check how many slots he has it may be better to just get a 2 gb ram strip and stay there . Give or sell the 512 to a friend . Good luck tho . :)

Let me clarify the memory statement , its some times cheaper to buy a strip of 1 or 2 gb than two 512 .
I give an example here in Canadian funds . I'm guessing its DDR 2 ?

http://www.alinx.ca/displayproducts.asp?do=go&name=Memory&id=11

your_creator
10-27-2007, 09:23 PM
you downgrade... you cant do that, even small softwares like KLite codec packs cant downgrade then how can it be possible for an OS.

I'm pretty sure "upgrade from vista to XP" was a play on words because we all know Vista sucks and yes going from Vista to XP is an upgrade
:ph34r:

peat moss
10-27-2007, 09:33 PM

I'm pretty sure "upgrade from vista to XP" was a play on words because we all know Vista sucks and yes going from Vista to XP is an upgrade
:ph34r:

We all know what he means and yes it really seems to be an upgrade on system performance . I get that question all the time " Peat what do you use " you can pay for or leach any O/S and you still use XP Pro ? Yep and Yeppers . :lol:

mr. nails
10-27-2007, 09:52 PM
you downgrade... you cant do that...

sure u can. while u have vista on ur pc retailers give u the option to "revert" ur system from vista to xp now.

BawA
10-28-2007, 05:25 AM
nails thats a backup system, it will only restore what eva was there before upgrading to anything else, you cant call that un down grade.

i dont know why your pissed about vista but am using it for almost a year and i have no problem to some minor problems.

peat moss
10-28-2007, 06:48 AM
@bawa, its just a matter of choice in anything you do from cars to computers . I tried Vista too and just found XP a little faster in my limited everyday use . You can't make choices for people be it Browsers or O/S they'll vote with their feet .

BawA
10-28-2007, 07:01 AM
@peat, am talking facts am trying to help them over come their wrong point of views, vista is much faster if you have correct hardware for it, offcorse if you want to run vista with 1gb ram youll have slow computer. driver wise, if you goto any site hardware sites 1st option youll see will be vista both 64 and 32. there is nothing wrong with vista its only a matter of moving on or not moving on. some just cant get around in new interface and find XP quite easy and some just dont have correct hardware as i said, some also have non standard manufactured hardwares(china) which neither windows nor them self support it with proper driver so obviously it will not work on vista.

Chewie
10-28-2007, 04:50 PM
@peat, am talking facts am trying to help them over come their wrong point of views...That's where I stopped.
You're not talking facts, you're talking subjectively. I prefer Vista whereas peat prefers XP. Neither of us holds a right or wrong point of view; your statement is arrogant in the extreme.

BawA
10-28-2007, 05:02 PM
this is where i stop Chewie

We all know what he means and yes it really seems to be an upgrade on system performance

I have a friend who was sucked in to buying a new pc with Vista and only 512K of RAM

@peat, am talking facts am trying to help them over come their wrong point of views, vista is much faster if you have correct hardware for it
talk out of your mind not your ass

Chewie
10-29-2007, 07:18 AM

I have a friend who was sucked in to buying a new pc with Vista and only 512K of RAM

@peat, am talking facts am trying to help them over come their wrong point of views, vista is much faster if you have correct hardware for it
Where you stop doing what?
Every new version of Windows requires more memory and processor power, why should Vista be any different? When XP was released there were plenty of people slagging it off as a performance degrader with nothing new but eye-candy.
This makes it a non-issue for me.

Whether the OP mentions that the system only has 512MB (not the 512KB he actually stated, BTW) or not has nothing to do with your statement that views other than your own are 'wrong'.

My son and daughter have Vista on an XP2400+ and Celeron 2.54GHz respectively, both with 1GB RAM and they're quite happy with lower performance compared to their previous XP installations.
peat and others disagree.
Like I said, it's subjective.

BawA
10-29-2007, 07:58 AM

Where you stop doing what?
Every new version of Windows requires more memory and processor power, why should Vista be any different? When XP was released there were plenty of people slagging it off as a performance degrader with nothing new but eye-candy.
This makes it a non-issue for me.

Whether the OP mentions that the system only has 512MB (not the 512KB he actually stated, BTW) or not has nothing to do with your statement that views other than your own are 'wrong'.

My son and daughter have Vista on an XP2400+ and Celeron 2.54GHz respectively, both with 1GB RAM and they're quite happy with lower performance compared to their previous XP installations.
peat and others disagree.
Like I said, it's subjective.

do you even know what your trying to prove:dry: