PDA

View Full Version : Best isp in Toronto Canada?

MrLazy
10-25-2007, 08:40 PM
Ok guys .. Rogers ultra lite is fu*king around with me when im at home .. (exclude network connection speeds at work)... i get really crap speeds and i heard this is because they throttle bittorrent traffic. I'm thinking of getting a new isp that doesnt throttle bittorrent traffic and doesnt either in the future for a good price..since i dont spend much time home, therefore i use my workplace connection, which is pretty fast as you can see in my signature. i still need a reliable connection at home as well....regardless ...and Rogers just isnt kicking it ...

im looking for these qualities:

-unlimited downloading ..no capping
-At least 100 kB/s download speeds
-NO THROTTLING
-Reasonable price .. i would say around 30 Bucks CAD a month (canadian dollors ...)
-Good customer service .. well "OK" customer service ...

Any ideas guys ? thinking of Bell Sympatico .. but rumours have it they will throttle in the future ...and i think they're pretty expensive ...

Any help or comments or suggestions are more than welcome ..Thanks :D

XS75
10-25-2007, 09:46 PM
When i lived in Canada, I was a project manager at Bell Canada on Bay St., and I have to say Rogers are fucken assholes :)

They have the possibility to reach 300Mbit speeds on the cable line, i am not joking around, me and my team, researched them, and tested the ISP as much as we can.

Also for the price your asking you wont find anything like that ;)

Your best choice would be to go with Bell, and sign up for a light DSL plan and wait for Fiber to come to your area or at least increase your monthly allowance to at least 55 CAD.

Another option would be to get a proxy or VPN or Server or VPS and bypass the throttling by FTP @ your internet plans top speed depending on the location of the server and routing.

MrLazy
10-25-2007, 09:50 PM
i agree with the 300 mbit speeds.. even when im using rogers ultra lit now at home .. when i download from rapidshare .. i see speeds like 600 kB/s .. then it easily drops back to like 32kB/s ....

thing is rumours have it that bell will be throttling speeds in the future :(

XS75
10-25-2007, 09:51 PM
Bell wont throttle but they will place bandwidth restrictions if they havnt already.

own3dripy
10-25-2007, 09:54 PM
GO with bell, they wont throttle ya

MrLazy
10-25-2007, 10:04 PM
they're cheapest cost for a DSL line is around 30 bucks CAD i think, 1 mbit speed i believe ..and thats only basic DSL

Bell wont throttle but they will place bandwidth restrictions if they havnt already.any ideas on what the restrictions are? thanks

XS75
10-25-2007, 10:05 PM
/me needs a minimum 8Mbit at all times

MrLazy
10-25-2007, 10:16 PM
/me needs a minimum 8Mbit at all timesgot ya :happy: maybe i will go with bell .. im moving by the end of the month to a location thats pretty close to their office ..so my speeds should be pretty good :happy: its all about the damn cost ..:pinch:

fazzy07
10-25-2007, 10:21 PM
Bell has really one of the worst customer service
Whenever I have a problem I have to fix it myself as their support is literally zero
Bell never throttles the bandwidth and if you fight with the cust support long enough they wont tap your bandwidth

MrLazy
10-25-2007, 10:30 PM
bell doesnt sound very pleasing from your point of view ..

jr56
10-25-2007, 11:47 PM
Teksavvy is exactly what you are looking for, 30$ per month unthrottled/unlimited connection with speeds up to 5Mbit/800Kbit depending on your distance from the CO.

MrLazy
10-26-2007, 01:30 AM
may i ask where is their CO ? just curious, if you know.

NEW INFO ON BELL...

http://www.bell.ca/shopping/internet.portal?_nfpb=true&internetBrowse_8_actionOverride=%2Fportlets%2Fpersonal%2Finternet%2Fbrowse%2FgetDetailPage&_windowLabel=internetBrowse_8&_pageLabel=PrsShpInt_Access (http://www.bell.ca/shopping/internet.portal?_nfpb=true&internetBrowse_8_actionOverride=%2Fportlets%2Fpersonal%2Finternet%2Fbrowse%2FgetDetailPage&_windowLabel=internetBrowse_8&_pageLabel=PrsShpInt_Access)

it's just stupid, on the site i see "Internet usage: 2 GB/month included" Does this mean i can only download a maximum of 2 gigs worth of content ...?and my bandwidth is capped? I spoke to a sales representative ..and he said he doesnt really know what that means ...:angry: i seriously don't know what that means .. anyone have an idea ? :happy: thanks

Parag0n
10-26-2007, 03:31 AM
may i ask where is their CO ? just curious, if you know.

They're based in Chatham, ON but partner with Bell so it'd depend on your proximity to a Bell CO.

Yeah the cheapest Bell DSL plan only allows 2GB of data transfer per month (probably combined UL/DL) but you can order 30GB extra for $10.

Teksavvy looks pretty good. This page has a link to their site and to reviews...
http://www.dslreports.com/reviews/2564

stephout
10-26-2007, 05:12 AM
I strongly second the teksavvy service - been with them for over 6 months now, they are great...check them out on dslreports.com

Dug up some links for yaa

http://www.dslreports.com/reviews/2564
http://www.teksavvy.com (http://www.teksavvy.com/)

isabel.pirate
10-26-2007, 05:51 AM
check out acanac.net - I am using them - cheap for the first year atleast - no bandwidth limits. Speeds are sometimes a bit slower than if you were with bell but have been fine for me and a friend of mine in TO

MrLazy
10-26-2007, 07:57 PM
thanks guys .. i dont like the fact that Bell caps DL/UL amount ..and 2 gigs/ month is just rediculous ..
.forget Bell .. im going to try acanac or TekSavvy ..

anyone who lives in the downtown area of toronto have any idea about which is better for bittorrent ?
Acanac or TekSavvy ?

Thanks for all the help guys .. im moving downtown in november so i gotta make this switch fast :)

OK so i have chosen acanac which i believe is a pretty good option, if you guys disagree plz post reasons
why ...IT IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED ..i dont want to have to deal with another crap isp again like rogers...

im not too sure about ACANAC's service charges .. its different every year? and its pay in 1 year basis ? anyone who got this
can you plz explain that to me thanks

jr56
10-27-2007, 03:28 AM
Teksavvy has no contract, you pay from month to month, i have no idea for acanac