PDA

View Full Version : Sites freak out after OiNK raid

AkaiDoresu
10-26-2007, 04:16 AM
1.TorrentLeech.org:"Registrations through invitations are disabled indefinitely. The invite system is disabled too, and all invitations sent and not used are revoked and cancelled. Please don't send us emails or contact support to ask them when invites are going to be open again, or to beg for ways to let your friends in. We simply don't know when we will allow new users to come in and we will ignore any email regarding this matter."
2.PolishTracker.org:"Drodzy użytkownicy.
W najbliższym czasie system zaproszeń zostanie całkowicie wyłączony na czas bliżej nieokreślony.
W tym wypadku, jest to ostatnia szansa na zaproszenie kogoś na PT." - trans. Dear users, the invitation system will be closed soon indefinitely. This is the last chance to use your invitation and to invite somebody.
3.Music-Vid.com:" To improve our security we have decided to close the site for new members with no exception.
Our Invite System is not working anymore. User and Power User classes invites have been removed, so if you are VIP or Videoholic don't user your invites left, because they won't get any new member here for now.
Since we are officially closed, we ask you all to not talk about the site on other forums, trackers, etc.
These are hard times, so take care of your MusicVids account because you won't get easily a new one if you lose it."
4.BlackCats-Games.net(annouced before OiNK raid - coincidance?): " I have decided that now is the time to close New Signups indefinately.
We do not have invites, and i very much doubt they will be coming back any time soon.
So if you have an account now, and you like it here, then i suggest you try to keep it. as getting in from now on will be virtually impossible.
The staff also scour invite/trading sites, and it we do catch anyone trading their account on these sites, they will be banned without any notice."
4.???????? - Who will be next?

For me all the panic does not make any sense except TL.net case, since for me they were #1 biggest website that is pretty accessible. OiNK was raided because, there were people who actually made money out of music and were selling it to the public. It was #1 piracy source and I think TL would be #1 right now, but sites like music-vids are just too much worrying about it and I think there is no need to worry. What do you think guys?

And pretty interesting thing that BlackCats closed their invitation about one week before OiNK was attacked. Do you think there is any connection?

Skiz
10-26-2007, 04:20 AM
Not to mention that stoi stepped down from BCG. May be coincidental, but just a thought.

WB has removed invites and may be implementing some huge changes to the tracker itself. I won't touch on those details though.

There has also been an influx of trackers wanting their reviews removed.

AkaiDoresu
10-26-2007, 04:24 AM
Not to mention that stoi stepped down from BCG. May be coincidental, but just a thought.

WB has removed invites and may be implementing some huge changes to the tracker itself. I won't touch on those details though.

You mean reviews on FST ?

james99
10-26-2007, 04:25 AM
nice post!

just look at the responses on this forum to all the new trackers that are opening and you'll see plenty of people freaking out thinking MPAA and Mediadefender infiltrated the whole internet. this is EXACTLY what the anti-piracy groups wanted to happen after busting oink, and its amazing how naive people are to fall for the trap.

we dont even know the end result of the oink investigation yet panic is the first thing people do. and its so easy to spread... all the guys panicking are doing Mediadefenders job for them. They should give themselves a pat on the back.

4rainertunes
10-26-2007, 04:27 AM
Does anyone else see the Oink raid as the end of an era? I have a feeling that the other major trackers are next on the list. Of course, they'll just be replaced by other trackers, and then the cycle will begin all over again.

AkaiDoresu
10-26-2007, 04:30 AM
nice post!

just look at the responses on this forum to all the new trackers that are opening and you'll see plenty of people freaking out thinking MPAA and Mediadefender infiltrated the whole internet. this is EXACTLY what the anti-piracy groups wanted to happen after busting oink, and its amazing how naive people are to fall for the trap.

we dont even know the end result of the oink investigation yet panic is the first thing people do. and its so easy to spread... all the guys panicking are doing Mediadefenders job for them. They should give themselves a pat on the back.

so true... even mere user are scared using some of the sites after the raid. Some people would never return @ OiNK again because of this note on OiNK website about investigating users identity. Believe me, if Police wanted to chase you, they wouldn't announce that...

briand5379
10-26-2007, 04:38 AM
I think most of this is just an over reaction to the events that have occured.

Totti
10-26-2007, 04:43 AM
^ you are right my friend ^

mbucari1
10-26-2007, 05:02 AM
I think most of this is just an over reaction to the events that have occured.very true.

Another thing to keep in mind is the sheer size of oink's user base. 180,000 is 10x larger than most private trackers, and that's just the enabled members. I can't begin to imagine the number of people who have had an account at one time or another. That said, it maintained a significantly higher profile than sites such as E****.

.:Him:.
10-26-2007, 05:18 AM
I wish that torrent sites where more secure to begin with; therefor, I find this move by many sites to be for the greater good of the overall torrent community.

Daniel
10-26-2007, 05:32 AM
One tracker that shall not be mentioned anymore is in the process of closing up too, at least a lot of the given invites were removed and new rules set in place.

I think it's a good thing for the bittorrent scene, not necessarily for single users (edit: I was thinking about new users or those trying to get into another tracker). All this BT stuff has become way too popular over the past few years and it's always been the way of copyright owners to target the most popular or best growing techniques. A little bit of privacy, security and many smaller but separate closed communities are certainly a step in the right direction.

btw: IMHO BCG invites have been offline for longer than one week, wasn't the tracker closed about two months ago already?

4rainertunes
10-26-2007, 05:37 AM
btw: IMHO BCG invites have been offline for longer than one week, wasn't the tracker closed about two months ago already?

They had open registration for a little while recently.

Daniel
10-26-2007, 05:42 AM
Oh, thanks for clearing that up, 4rainertunes. I can only remember stoi's posts in the WIAW thread where he talked about keeping the tracker closed indefinitely so an open signup recently was a surprise to me ;)

Skiz
10-26-2007, 06:59 AM

You mean reviews on FST ?

Yes.

waterloo
10-26-2007, 08:01 AM
Music-vid:

Major Server Problems

We are experiencing some major server issues at the moment. Logins are not possible so the site is currently down.
At the moment, it is unlikely the site will be back up for quite a while, if at all :(

BawA
10-26-2007, 08:01 AM
its already too late, what you think those scum backs need invites to get into those tracker, they atleast have 2 to 3 accounts in any freakin tracker, they already have what they want its only about time when somebody pushes the button.
removing the reviews... again that wont help because they're already in their radar.
its only a legal processes which keeps them from taking action, not all trackers are based in America to be shutdown so simply and as some of you may know international copyrights laws are not same and need massive efforts by US agencies to make arrangements(atleast in countries who are strong enough to say no) so they put their efforts into busting famous sites.

koolyt
10-26-2007, 08:36 AM
ya. apparently the oink shutdown was the result of a 2-year-long investigation. took them that long to shut down one tracker..

james99
10-26-2007, 08:46 AM
wasn't oink much smaller 2 years ago? anyone know approximately how many users oink had at that time?

Skiz
10-26-2007, 08:48 AM
ya. apparently the oink shutdown was the result of a 2-year-long investigation. took them that long to shut down one tracker..

It's called, collecting evidence.

Polarbear
10-26-2007, 08:57 AM
a 14yo kid can get any private tracker membership in a few weeks if he's clever. he just needs a seedbox, a few hundred forum posts and a lot of free time to hang in front of the computer.

do you really think a highly paid it expert, who works fulltime in the forensics department of a authority or company would not?

the question is not will they get in, but do they have a reason to get in.

so talk a lot about your favourite private tracker and the great content in public and there might be a reason for them.

briand5379
10-26-2007, 09:17 AM
I think it's about more then just collecting evidence. I think it's a trial and error type of case and if things go in the favor of them it could mean we might see more of this happening.

Polarbear
10-26-2007, 09:25 AM
70% of all internet traffic (in germany) is bittorrent.

nobody can stop that!

BawA
10-26-2007, 09:37 AM
i dont get it, todays ISP's/countries specially Europe provide so High speed Home services thinking of what if they dont want people to use p2p, i mean normal web browser will never need a 10MB line.
as said before almost 2 third of internet traffic world wide is bittorrent or p2p in general, if they want to cut it then all of this high speed internet are nothing but a waste of ISP race to attract more users.
without P2P there is no need for Speed hunger and speed will freeze down to one point, sure these speed can be used by web masters but those are just 1 third. do they really want to stop the progress just because some damn monopoly company sitting in USA is no longer controlling his business and getting 2$ instead 3$.

Skiz
10-26-2007, 10:10 AM
i dont get it, todays ISP's/countries specially Europe provide so High speed Home services thinking of what if they dont want people to use p2p, i mean normal web browser will never need a 10MB line.
as said before almost 2 third of internet traffic world wide is bittorrent or p2p in general, if they want to cut it then all of this high speed internet are nothing but a waste of ISP race to attract more users.
without P2P there is no need for Speed hunger and speed will freeze down to one point, sure these speed can be used by web masters but those are just 1 third. do they really want to stop the progress just because some damn monopoly company sitting in USA is no longer controlling his business and getting 2$ instead 3$.

Why are you targeting the U.S.A.? There are recording industries all over the World who are fighting piracy. The latest take down of oink was by the Interpol, and because it was breaking UK copyright law.

Also, with the speed in which gaming growing and the amount of data that must be transfered in online games, larger lines are becoming necessary.

BawA
10-26-2007, 10:19 AM
ohh c'mon who your kidding with, yourself?
other recording companies dont make a shit, they dont even make a half of what RiAA is making nor they record that much, dont tell me that OINK was distributing UK's artist labels, maybe a small percentage, rest are American produced labels and are controlled by RIAA internationally and localy, if arrest was triggered it was triggered by RIAA and interpol wont do a shit if its not asked for.

Also, with the speed in which gaming growing and the amount of data that must be transfered in online games, larger lines are becoming necessary.
near future maybe but i guarantee you those speeds are not meant for them right now.

james99
10-26-2007, 10:22 AM

Why are you targeting the U.S.A.? There are recording industries all over the World who are fighting piracy. The latest take down of oink was by the Interpol, and because it was breaking UK copyright law.

yeah, not to mention the trend of streaming video which will only grow as more and more content providers and media companies themselves put tv episodes, news, and other media for online viewing. speeds are only going to increase with time.

briand5379
10-26-2007, 10:26 AM
I'm willing to bet most of those companies work together in cooperation.

As far as speeds you have online gaming but don't forget the all important use of HD, pics and so on.

iNSOMNiA
10-26-2007, 10:28 AM
a 14yo kid can get any private tracker membership in a few weeks if he's clever. he just needs a seedbox, a few hundred forum posts and a lot of free time to hang in front of the computer.
do you really think a highly paid it expert, who works fulltime in the forensics department of a authority or company would not?

the question is not will they get in, but do they have a reason to get in.

The question is why would he do that since 17 y/o could hack OinK or any other tracker..

so talk a lot about your favorite private tracker and the great content in public and there might be a reason for them.all the spam on FST are nothing to compare with the 10minutes Oink did on BBC. Trust me.

Skiz
10-26-2007, 10:33 AM
The question is why would he do that since 17 y/o teen could have hacked OinK or any other tracker..

so talk a lot about your favorite private tracker and the great content in public and there might be a reason for them.All the spam on FST are nothing to compare with the 10minutes Oink did on BBC. Trust me.

None of it is a secret.

Filesharing is the quiet crime. You do it, your neighbors do it, the guy a the corner store does it. Millions of people around the world do, but few talk about it.

The latest oink debacle just proves the point. There are articles on every blog on the web, as well as major news stations, MTV, Billboard, etc.

It should be a security wake up call for everyone.

briand5379
10-26-2007, 10:45 AM
There's definitely some truth to that. It's something several hundred million people do.

Polarbear
10-26-2007, 10:53 AM
it's the same thing they tried to do with grass in the late 60ies/early 70ies.

you can't criminalise or even punish a huge part of the society.

GoLDeN
10-26-2007, 11:12 AM
that looks very bad

AugustoP
10-26-2007, 11:23 AM
Like RIAA reps don't have accounts everywhere. Water is spilled already.

james99
10-26-2007, 11:32 AM
it's the same thing they tried to do with grass in the late 60ies/early 70ies.

you can't criminalise or even punish a huge part of the society.

sure they can, thats why usa has so many people in jail for non-violent drug offenses.

Sylar666
10-26-2007, 11:56 AM
This is the agony of the contemporary music - industry. They will fall, and will fall big time! It looks as if it had been a real nightmare - when looking back on it from some time in the future. This whole emotional and dirty propaganda by RIAA and allies is just like committing suicide. Cook it - eat it! I won't give a damn for them - in fact will dance on their coffin.:)

Melvinmeow
10-26-2007, 12:24 PM

WB was acctually in the process of closing their signup/invites system about 2 months ago. They have been using & or working on, a similiar system to what TDC uses from what Wild has been telling me for a while.

TL has been in the process of disabling their invites for a while. If you recall a few weeks ago they had them closed and were actively banning a whole lot of traders/invite traders in heaploads.

2 yrs sounds about right. I remember when I had my visit they mentioned it takes even FBI TEAM an average of 2 yrs to collect enough info and catch even 1 scener. Think of all the proof they need/ as well as all the paperwork they have to push to get anything done.

abitaamber
10-26-2007, 03:24 PM
For me all the panic does not make any sense except TL.net case, since for me they were #1 biggest website that is pretty accessible. OiNK was raided because, there were people who actually made money out of music and were selling it to the public.

Oink was neither "selling music to the public", nor making money out of it. Get your facts straight.

carinio
10-26-2007, 03:27 PM
pisexy too..

Ali-g
10-26-2007, 04:35 PM
Grrr... I dont get y anysites would close inv. because of Oink shutdown.
I mean if the FBI or any of those others organizations were after an acc. at TL, or Pisexy or even at Uk-t I dont think theyd have a problem getting it ;)
And since they werent opened today they probably have an acc. there, jst dont know how to use it :lol:

AkaiDoresu
10-26-2007, 05:13 PM

I thought OiNK wasn't on for even 2 years. Weren't they 1 year old?

KFlint
10-26-2007, 05:22 PM

I thought OiNK wasn't on for even 2 years. Weren't they 1 year old?

i think they opened in 2004, not sure though

AkaiDoresu
10-26-2007, 05:40 PM
1.E****: Recent News
Invites are closed for everyone until further notice.

huh

koolyt
10-26-2007, 06:16 PM
Grrr... I dont get y anysites would close inv. because of Oink shutdown.
I mean if the FBI or any of those others organizations were after an acc. at TL, or Pisexy or even at Uk-t I dont think theyd have a problem getting it ;)
And since they werent opened today they probably have an acc. there, jst dont know how to use it :lol:

haha. ya, according to this (http://torrentfreak.com/oink-database-didnt-self-destruct-wasnt-encrypted-but-users-safe-071025/) article:

'...with police questioning OiNK for hours after which he was eventually released. It became apparent that the police had limited technical knowledge which, according to OiNK “made the interview quite amusing.”'

psxcite
10-26-2007, 06:59 PM
Add Pisexy, SCC, Sportbit and DB to the list of sites that have closed all invites.

sear
10-26-2007, 08:26 PM
The question is why would he do that since 17 y/o could hack OinK or any other tracker..

If they hack the tracker all the evidence is illegal. They're not going to do that and risk ruining their case. They're also not going to get a seed box and try and trade/build up good ratios to get an invite they would have to break the law to do that, therefore fucking up their lawsuit/criminal investigation. Similarly it's unlikely they'll waste time making forum posts in order to win over people's trust. What they will do is go to e-bay and buy an invite for $20 and get in in seconds.

Also I've posted this already but seeing as it relates to the thread title check out the latest news at VIP:

2007-10-26 - United we stand, divided we fall? - Comments
Whoa, so much happening lately: our CTO (Chief Technical Officer is still missing since September), Oink went down recently and VIPmusic was mentioned in the article at billboard.com as in "the IFPI's cross-hairs". Due to the fact that our CTO is still out of reach (more about our fears in the corresponding thread) we might suspend the operations. There are few things that I'd like to make clear: server HDD's are encrypted with AES and are locked out (only our CTO had access to the server because of security concerns) that is why user database would not be accessible to any third parties. Also unused donations will be sent to EFF (Electronic Frontier Foundation) which is fighting for free speech rights on the internet.

IMO it's starting to look like this Oink take down is really only the beginning :ph34r:

TheFoX
10-26-2007, 08:38 PM
I've just realised....

OiNK was arrested by the PIGS!!!

How ironic is that?

sniper06
10-26-2007, 08:57 PM
If they hack the tracker all the evidence is illegal. They're not going to do that and risk ruining their case. They're also not going to get a seed box and try and trade/build up good ratios to get an invite they would have to break the law to do that, therefore fucking up their lawsuit/criminal investigation. Similarly it's unlikely they'll waste time making forum posts in order to win over people's trust. What they will do is go to e-bay and buy an invite for $20 and get in in seconds.

So what sites should remove users then every week who havent downloaded or uploaded or even make a rule that is you join you have to download that same day and if you dont you get kicked out. If an fbi or mpaa went on a site and they will have to download then they are downloading illegally and there evedince wont stand in court. Would it work. Im a bit drunk so forgive me if it doesnt make sence.

sear
10-26-2007, 09:02 PM
I've just realised....

OiNK was arrested by the PIGS!!!

How ironic is that?

:lol:...I guess we were all in too much shock to make that joke.

iNSOMNiA
10-26-2007, 09:19 PM
That why they hire ppl to do that even tho they obviously wouldn't get caught using the evidences collected by hacking a site on court, they have dozens of lawyers to avoid that.. anyway I was just making a point. And if you really think that the MPAA needs to buy invite of Ebay you are really naive..

rvt
10-26-2007, 09:31 PM
They're also not going to get a seed box and try and trade/build up good ratios to get an invite they would have to break the law to do that, therefore fucking up their lawsuit/criminal investigation.

Not entirely accurate.

IFPI and others have no problem obtaining the permission of the copyright holder in order to upload, meaning there are no copyright violations, and the police may be allowed to ignore civil laws while persuing a criminal case, especially with the right warrant.
A policeman is not subject to trespassing laws (civil) while persuing a shoplifter (criminal).

TheFoX
10-26-2007, 09:45 PM
The point is that all of the MySQL database would be inadmissible as evidence, since it says Jack Shit about anything (admin tools on OiNK would allow a staffer to change almost anything related to a user account).

The only data that the authorities could use would be logs of transfer indexed to actual material being shared, such as the precious pre-releases we keep hearing about. This is not the OiNK server logs, since they will only show who connected to the site, and when, and not what they were actually doing.

Remember that a torrent tracker is purely an indexer, and NO actual data passes through it. ALL data sharing is done directly between the peers, and the only rational way to obtain peer data is if a spy was in a swarm, recording the IPs of those sharing the data.

It is NOT illegal to visit an indexing site, or even a warez site. The crime is committed when you are in the act of actually up/down loading copyright data, and this happens outside of the tracker. All you do, from time to time, is tell the tracker how much data you have uploaded and downloaded since the last announcement to the tracker.

If you visit a kiddie porn site, then that IS illegal, since the kiddie porn is actually being hosted on the site, and you are considered a participant in a crime. If you visit a site that hosts links to kiddie porn, you are NOT committing a crime until you click those links.

With a torrent file, you can download as many torrent files as you like, even if their title insinuates that it may be copyright material. That is NOT illegal. What is illegal is when you use a torrent file in a torrent client to actively download the copyright material.

Remember that the act of sharing copyright material is what you can be prosecuted for.

As for running a site that has links to copyright material, that is very much a grey area, since there is the crime of facilitating copyright theft.

OiNK may have a defence, simply because he allows so many to upload and download, that it would prove almost impossible for him to monitor what is legal content, and what is illegal content.

There may also be another defence for OiNK. If he has received take down notices, and abided by the authors wishes, then he has complied as any website owner would. If he has NOT received any take down notices, then he could argue that he was NOT made aware that his members were infringing copyrights.

I know of several sites where it categorically states that if YOU are the owner of any posted material, to please contact the administrators to have the material removed. If the BPI and IFPI has not used this avenue to have music removed, OiNK could argue that he was not being made aware of any issues, and that he feels that the industry is making an example of him, when they could have simply asked.

Of course, a lot depends on how OiNK ran his site. If he was asked to remove material, and he flatly refused, then the BPI and IFPI would have an extremely strong case against him.

Naturally, there is a lot more to this than meets the eye. Any self respecting admin will remove any offending material, to save face. Only an arrogant admin would laugh in the face of the copyright owner (excepting TPB which does it for our amusement).

psxcite
10-26-2007, 11:39 PM
I don't know about the laws in the UK, but undercover officers in the States break the law on a daily basis to collect evidence on a case.

For instance, a narc will buy and sell drugs for months, even years to make a case against a dealer. I don't see how downloading and getting a seedbox to infiltrate a tracker would be any different.

luckylittle
10-27-2007, 10:10 AM
You're missing info about ViPMusic on the first page

Dr.JUVE
10-27-2007, 12:44 PM
some sites are freaking out but other like SCT upload alot of music torrents after oink closed

wildbytes
10-27-2007, 02:07 PM
WB was acctually in the process of closing their signup/invites system about 2 months ago. They have been using & or working on, a similiar system to what TDC uses from what Wild has been telling me for a while.

TL has been in the process of disabling their invites for a while. If you recall a few weeks ago they had them closed and were actively banning a whole lot of traders/invite traders in heaploads.

2 yrs sounds about right. I remember when I had my visit they mentioned it takes even FBI TEAM an average of 2 yrs to collect enough info and catch even 1 scener. Think of all the proof they need/ as well as all the paperwork they have to push to get anything done.

yep for the most part this is right. but yesterday i told some staff on here some of my new plans. Which does will start in the next week or so.

1. invitye system removed for site code.

2.locked doors and ban everyone that even trys and trades a wb account.

3 well 2 or 3 more huge things but not getting intot hat on a public forum. but Melvinmeow if you want to know just come find me on msn or halo :D.

Wild

BawA
10-27-2007, 02:48 PM
edit: WT

znik
10-27-2007, 02:50 PM
I just wonder how could only the removal of the invitation system help the trackers become more safe...

The BPI,or IFPI or any other spy have probably already access to other trackers, so that alone would not help much I guess Mr Wild.:idunno:

wildbytes
10-27-2007, 02:55 PM
thats not really what we going for. But if your a member you will find out real soon. For the most part wb is going to change in a huge way. i wont get into all of it because welll its not something i want on a open/public forum.

Wild