PDA

View Full Version : virgin question?

esco123
10-26-2007, 12:31 PM
does anyone here use virgin broadband, if yes can you plz tell me how often do they change the ip address of users automatically? thanks

sleepyy
10-26-2007, 07:24 PM
They don't you have to unplug the modem or use a router to change your ip address you used to be able to change it on dos /release / renew ipconfig but that does not work for me anymore it may for you

esco123
10-27-2007, 10:24 AM
They don't you have to unplug the modem or use a router to change your ip address you used to be able to change it on dos /release / renew ipconfig but that does not work for me anymore it may for you

thanks for the advice, i was asking this question because i was told that my ip address changes every month by virgin blue yonder, but it has not changed.

Fibre
10-27-2007, 03:35 PM
thanks for the advice, i was asking this question because i was told that my ip address changes every month by virgin blue yonder, but it has not changed.

It's "static" :01:

esco123
10-27-2007, 05:27 PM
It's "static" :01:[/quote]

can u plz explain what 'static' means? sorry if it sounds like a silly question. thanks

Jiggles
10-27-2007, 06:39 PM
static basically means they are the opposite to dynamic ones, i think users have around 16 static ips allocated to them, you can change your static ip by changing your mac address, once you have done this the modem thinks it is another computer thus it allocates one of the remaining 16 allocated ips.

the renew/ipconfig method would not work on static ip providers such as virgin.

i use this program- http://www.klcconsulting.net/smac/

it changes your mac address which you can do by selecting "random mac" then "update mac".
you then need to unplug your modem and plug it in again, this works better when you use your USB instead of the ethernet connection. the changing of the mac address is limited unlike the renew/ipconfig method, it will give you around 16 ips like i said.

btw, the mac address is just a value set in your computer network settings for that particular connection.

esco123
10-27-2007, 10:14 PM
thanks alot jiggles that was a very detailed post, i now understand. :)

iwaldo
10-28-2007, 12:43 AM
Eh no, Jiggles.

Your MAC address is controlled by the network card itself, and is not just a "value set in your computer network settings".

MAC addresses are set in the factory when the NIC(Network Interface Card) is made.

It's also illegal to change a MAC address but I guess no one cares about that anyway :P

Jiggles
10-28-2007, 01:06 AM
yeah, the guy doesnt know what a static ip is, so im kind of explaining to him so he understands it.:blink:

anyway, he knows the basics and i told him how he can change his ip. this threads done.

Emma1979
12-14-2007, 02:00 AM
Im with virgin, and ive had the same ip address for 2 years. I use a program called Hide ip platinum which disguises your ip into one from another country.

sleepyy
12-14-2007, 09:00 AM
Im with virgin, and ive had the same ip address for 2 years. I use a program called Hide ip platinum which disguises your ip into one from another country.

Are you useing a router as well?

IF you are it does not do a very good job i can tell you that now i had a chinese ip when i done an ip test it showed my chinese ip but when i visited a web page which i know i have been banned from it it allowed me to sign up i used this and some how they knew it was me and the chinese ip the computer ip address was banned i have not tested without useing a router but i guess it would do a better job

Emma1979
12-16-2007, 12:18 AM
No, i dont use a router. Also i have never tried getting into a site i was banned from as i havnt been banned from any site. Torrent sites might have some sort of software that detects a change of ip, as im sure they dont want to experience re-offending hit and runners.

Forged
12-16-2007, 12:53 AM

Are you useing a router as well?

IF you are it does not do a very good job i can tell you that now i had a chinese ip when i done an ip test it showed my chinese ip but when i visited a web page which i know i have been banned from it it allowed me to sign up i used this and some how they knew it was me and the chinese ip the computer ip address was banned i have not tested without useing a router but i guess it would do a better job

Sounds more like they noticed your posting style or email address. It wouldn't let you register with a banned ip.

Fibre
12-22-2007, 12:49 PM
They probably detected old cookies.

P.S A router doesn't change your IP.

Something Else
12-22-2007, 01:28 PM
Oh and Virgin admitted capping downloaders in busy areas to 350mb a day. :dabs:

sleepyy
12-22-2007, 01:43 PM
Oh and Virgin admitted capping downloaders in busy areas to 350mb a day. :dabs:

That all depends what package you're on not everyone is 350mb per day for example the 20mb package user's have a 3gig limit i have been capped many times it only effects you for four hours so it's not really an issue it has been stated on their front page since they upgraded everybody and it's nice and clear not hidden. Every isp in the uk has some form of shapping capping or traficing but half the time it's hidden from the user and they only find out after the contract is signed nobody reads the terms and conditions it what i ment to say.

If you look it's not all that bad if you compare all the isps in the uk but it's a joke if you consider other companies around the world. Don't forget you can still download 100s of gigs per day without being capped with virgin you only start to get capped if you go over your limit during the hours they present us which is 16-00 during those hours the limts are in use after those hours if you have not gone over you can download as much as you want at full speed even if you have been capped you can still go over those limits by10x they won't switch off your connection.

clocktower
12-22-2007, 02:22 PM
1. Get to a command prompt. (START, run, cmd).
Start Menu Run Box
2. Type "ipconfig /release" (without the quotes, on the command line by itself).
3. Type "ipconfig /renew" (without the quotes, on the command line by itself).

Windows (second option) - Computer connected directly to the modem

2. Type "ipconfig /release" (without the quotes).
3. Shut down computer.
4. Turn off computer.
5. Turn off all ethernet hubs/switches.
6. Turn off cable/DSL modem.
7. Leave off overnight.
8. Turn everything back on.

sleepyy
12-22-2007, 03:04 PM
Start Menu Run Box
2. Type "ipconfig /release" (without the quotes, on the command line by itself).
3. Type "ipconfig /renew" (without the quotes, on the command line by itself).

Windows (second option) - Computer connected directly to the modem

2. Type "ipconfig /release" (without the quotes).
3. Shut down computer.
4. Turn off computer.
5. Turn off all ethernet hubs/switches.
6. Turn off cable/DSL modem.
7. Leave off overnight.
8. Turn everything back on.

Does this still change your ip

clocktower
12-22-2007, 03:17 PM
yes do as follows new ip next day :)

sleepyy
12-22-2007, 03:19 PM