PDA

View Full Version : ***ps3 In Big Trouble***

BawA
07-14-2003, 10:00 AM
in some articals on internet its mensioned that SONY is in big problem reguarding "blue laser" which will be used as main rom in PS3 and this technology may cause to remove abalety of reading PlayStation 1 cd's from PS3 and as sony say's in past ps3 can play ps1 and ps2 cd's it will be big problem for them.
the problem is with new DVDplayer which is using new system called "Grid" which is for new cd's which can be only play back with "blue laser" rom's and cant play cd's with old technology which means ps1 cd's and it means that it can play ps1 cd's.

new system "grid" and "blue laser" technology"which will be used in ps3 need special kind of cd's which have lots of problems in with sony and one the problem is the price of cd becuz the cd capacity is above 50 GB and that will be to much expansive for sony.

http://www.easyjetinflight.com/images/2002/mar02/gadgets/gadgets12.jpg

BROCKSTER
07-14-2003, 11:37 AM
why all the stars in each and every title you do ;)

BawA
07-14-2003, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by BROCKSTER@14 July 2003 - 15:37
why all the stars in each and every title you do ;)
:D :D :D :P
hehehehehhehe
just like that

asmithz
07-14-2003, 12:00 PM
That may be the plan there going with but most likely if they do that they will use a dual laser one to read the disc that you said and another to read the PS2/PS1 disc. Remember we still have 3 years till this comes, they'll iron out all there problems by then.

swarnel
07-14-2003, 01:31 PM
u guys know ur playstations :blink: lol

Pitbul
07-14-2003, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Shad0w Hacker@14 July 2003 - 05:00
That may be the plan there going with but most likely if they do that they will use a dual laser one to read the disc that you said and another to read the PS2/PS1 disc. Remember we still have 3 years till this comes, they'll iron out all there problems by then.
yeah what he said dude this problem is old and already been resolved but sony already stated that the PS3 will most likly not play PS1 games. sony said they only want 2 systems on the market the PS3 and PS2 sony when the PS3 launches they will officially stop producing PS1's. but pretty much this is old and been resolved by them just not wanting the PS3 to play ps1 games.and the PS3 will be dual laser.

kms1357
07-14-2003, 04:47 PM
where the heck did you find out about all this?! i dont know anything and the ps systems are my fav!

downloader2008
07-14-2003, 04:51 PM
Where did you find out this info on PS3?

Nevin
07-14-2003, 05:49 PM
This is what my Physics teacher told me - (or as much as I can remember):

This new blue laser is very new, but the wavelength is shorter then a red laser. this causes it to be a different colour. Why is this important? well with a shorter wavelength laser the information on the cd can be closer together. And when you add dual layers you get amazing capacity. He said You could fit about 16 movies on a Dvd with this special laser. <---(This is all I can remember, may be a bit different but I think I got the main part)

Cl1mh4224rd
07-14-2003, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Nevin@14 July 2003 - 18:49

This new blue laser is very new, but the wavelength is shorter then a red laser. this causes it to be a different colour. Why is this important? well with a shorter wavelength laser the information on the cd can be closer together. And when you add dual layers you get amazing capacity. He said You could fit about 16 movies on a Dvd with this special laser. <---(This is all I can remember, may be a bit different but I think I got the main part)
Yeah, that&#39;s pretty much the gist of it. Blue laser technology has been around for quite some time (5 years maybe?). It just never became affordable enough to mass produce for consumer purchase.

forq2
07-14-2003, 08:32 PM
i read about this blue laser thing about 2months after the first dvd burners became available so i have been waiting out to get a dvd burner until they come so i can burn 50 gig at a time but there will be compatability issues with this and old tech so i wonder if they will change dvds also and make new dual laser dvd&#39;s but who knows when this tech will be released to the public

Pitbul
07-14-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Cl1mh4224rd+14 July 2003 - 13:07--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Cl1mh4224rd @ 14 July 2003 - 13:07)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Nevin@14 July 2003 - 18:49

This new blue laser is very new, but the wavelength is shorter then a red laser.&nbsp; this causes it to be a different colour.&nbsp; Why is this important?&nbsp; well with a shorter wavelength laser the information on the cd can be closer together.&nbsp; And when you add dual layers you get amazing capacity.&nbsp; He said You could fit about 16 movies on a Dvd with this special laser.&nbsp; <---(This is all I can remember, may be a bit different but I think I got the main part)
It just never became affordable enough to mass produce for consumer purchase. [/b][/quote]
until now... sony will launch the first Blu-Laser equipt DVD player this winter for 1000 USD

downloader2008
07-14-2003, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by Pitbul+14 July 2003 - 15:34--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Pitbul @ 14 July 2003 - 15:34)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Cl1mh4224rd@14 July 2003 - 13:07
<!--QuoteBegin-Nevin@14 July 2003 - 18:49

It just never became affordable enough to mass produce for consumer purchase.
until now... sony will launch the first Blu-Laser equipt DVD player this winter for 1000 USD [/b][/quote]
I knew they will replace DVDs soon enough, and I remember walking into a specialty electronic store and they had another better, newer format for audio CDs which was not known yet and I bet that soon enough that will take place like this new "blue laser" format is going to.

Wolfmight
07-14-2003, 08:47 PM
why dont they make a cheap addon ps1 cd player for eh... &#036;40?

Busyman
07-14-2003, 10:40 PM
The Blu-Ray Disc is going to be supported by all the big manufacturers and records in hi-definition (there won&#39;t be a player and then a recorder; it records at launch). To my knowledge it is not compatible with current DVD&#39;s. For Sony to include the Blu-Ray it will the PS3 very very expensive even though the console launches much later. I never even heard Sony was using that format.

gbfan
07-14-2003, 11:06 PM
While I"m sure it wouldn&#39;t read a disc burned with the old laser I don&#39;t think that it needs a different kind of disc to write on. :o

Nevin
07-14-2003, 11:09 PM
I also heard the guy that actually invented this "blue laser" worked for a large company somewhere in Asia, but according to the laws in this country this company now owns the copyright to the blue laser. This guy got screwed so hard, so he is now living in the US trying to re-create his first invention so it can be produced for less money. Basically he&#39;s trying to screw the ones who screwed him&#33;

But anyways if he (or anybody else) is able to do this, we could expect mass production of blue laser products&#33; Just think, the entire James bond series could be released on 1 disk&#33; :D

Bait Master
07-14-2003, 11:35 PM
Why in the world would the PS3 not being able to play PS1 disks put the PS3 in "big trouble". Why would you even want to play crappy ps1 games on a ps3?

No problem or "big trouble" here. :ermm:

Evil Zak
07-15-2003, 09:22 AM
Anyone who uses the terms "ps1 games" and "crappy" in the same sentence without terms like "not" or "far from" or "makes other games look" should be shot. Or better yet, forced to play them.

But I too don&#39;t see the "big trouble". PS1 is currently &#036;50 US, and if blue laser technology costs &#036;1000 US like that one guy said, fifty isn&#39;t too much more to shell out for the classics.

Damnatory
07-17-2003, 12:45 AM
Well, what are you all expecting. Ok so you guys are all expecting every new playstation that comes out should be reverse compatible? Get over it, having the reverse compatible options built into the newer Playstations is only going to just be in the way. I&#39;d rather have space for something that would make it perform better then take up space for a dual laser. And yes, the original playstation is crap. If you don&#39;t have a ps1 or a PS2 then I say: fuck it. You should have bought one when you had the chance instead of waiting for playstation 9 to come out so you can play your playstation 1 games. Old technology combined into the newer better things is only going to bog down the performance.

Busyman
07-17-2003, 12:59 AM
Yeah but PS3 playing PS2 games is Sony&#39;s main marketing cut card in the console wars. That and count on Nintendo not offering movie playback AGAIN.

4play
07-17-2003, 01:15 AM
Blue lasers are gonna be alot cheaper by the time the ps3 launches. remember they will be making millions of these consoles, economy of scale and all that will mean nice and cheap to produce.

still they should make the console able to play dvd&#39;s which will not be possible with just a blue laser.

Busyman
07-17-2003, 01:49 AM
For Sony to include the Blu-Ray it will the be very very expensive even though the console launches much later.

The Blu-Ray Disc probably won&#39;t even have 3% market penetration when the PS3 hits. DVD is the fastest selling consumer electronic in history and Sony still lost money on every console sold in the beginning because of it. The Blu-Ray will not be as hot because of the folks that already adopted DVD.

Now there&#39;s a new and better format already? WTF&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :angry: :angry: :angry: