PDA

View Full Version : Backing Up Program Files Before A Os Reinstall

Roosh
07-14-2003, 01:53 PM
I've got two hard drives. Can I transfer all of my currently installed programs over to hd2 before reformatting hd1 and then move them back after? It's just to save the hassle of installing and registering all my programs. Or is the fact that registry settings are involved a factor?

TIA

WARSUPPORT
07-14-2003, 02:06 PM
B) Yes you can transfer your files and settings over to your 2nd hard drive. Also registry settings are involved, but there are software programs you can use to get the job done. The one I have is Detto Intellimover. It can tranfer and save your current settings and files from one computer to another,or you can just use it to save your current settings. So if you want to reformatt or upgrade your operating system you can have everything setup the way you already have it. I'm sure there are plenty other programs out there that do the same thing so give one a try.Sure saves you alot of time setting everything up again,the way you like it. Hope this helps.

Roosh
07-14-2003, 08:21 PM
Nice.
Did/can you get this off of klite? So the fact that I'll be upgrading from ME to XP Pro won't pose a problem?

Wolfmight
07-14-2003, 08:27 PM
I recommend u backup:

Registry
Outlook Express Emails
IE Favs (or Opera)
My Document's Contents
Shared Folder
Check your desktop for important stuff
Backup Saved Games, Settings, Cracks, Serials, etc

Roosh
07-14-2003, 08:42 PM
How do you back up the registry? :huh:
Have you seen "Detto Intellimover" on klite?
If not, do you recommend a similar tool that you can find on KL?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Off-topic: I found a file extension info site that I think would be helpful to many newbies and I wanted to post a link. Which forum do you think would be appropriate?

DeltaSniperZ
07-15-2003, 12:35 AM
Yes you should be able to.

Roosh
07-15-2003, 03:27 AM
...be able to what? :huh:

Nothing came up in a search on KL.

camille
07-16-2003, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by WARSUPPORT@14 July 2003 - 22:06
B) Yes you can transfer your files and settings over to your 2nd hard drive. Also registry settings are involved, but there are software programs you can use to get the job done. The one I have is Detto Intellimover.
Where did you d/load Detto Intellimover? Can you recommend some programs that can transfer everything to another Hard Drive?

WARSUPPORT
07-20-2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by camille@16 July 2003 - 08:24

Where did you d/load Detto Intellimover? Can you recommend some programs that can transfer everything to another Hard Drive? [/quote]
Detto came installed on my computer.Detto comes with 2 seperate programs,The File Transfer Utility and the Intellimover. The Intellimover transfers Data Files, Specific Application Data and your various Settings you choose,including E-Mail. It can't transfer entire Software packages.But it's probably better to reinstall them anyways. There is a program you can use if you can find it, that can transfer Software or Entire Configurations it's called...AlohaBob PC Relocator by "Eisenworld". B)