PDA

View Full Version : Homework Question

Mr JP Fugley
10-27-2007, 03:16 PM
If I know an ip address is it possible for me to establish the mac address of the device to which it was allocated.

WarrenBuffet
10-27-2007, 07:01 PM
four

Jiggles
10-27-2007, 07:23 PM
i dont know what you mean completely, if you know your ip address and you want to know the mac address you can use a program like this-

http://www.klcconsulting.net/images/smac20_screenshot1.gif

heres the link- http://www.klcconsulting.net/smac/

if you want to know the mac address of another person just by knowing their ip is impossible, the mac address is determined by the connection, modem and the ISP, but like i said you can work out your own.

DooMeD68
10-27-2007, 07:55 PM
it's a rhetorical question to which we won't get the answer !!

Mr JP Fugley
10-27-2007, 08:11 PM
I read somewhere that the ip address was allocated by referring to the mac address and that as such you could work out the mac address from the ip address which had been allocated to it.

It's probably just something I picked up wrong so I thought I would ask.

In the example you used above 192.168. etc doesn't that relate to the allocation being made on a LAN, say by a router.

blackbird
10-27-2007, 08:16 PM
In the example you used above 192.168. etc doesn't that relate to the allocation being made on a LAN, say by a router.

yes .. class c private network range 192.168.0.0 – 192.168.255.255

Mr JP Fugley
10-27-2007, 08:28 PM
It's really whether an ip allocated on the internet itself would allow one to identify the mac address of the device which was connected to it.

I know it doesn't for LANs and they are just allocated in the order that devices connect. However the lease can be held indefinitely, or be changed periodically based on the firmware settings in the router.

Jiggles
10-27-2007, 08:35 PM
I read somewhere that the ip address was allocated by referring to the mac address and that as such you could work out the mac address from the ip address which had been allocated to it.

It's probably just something I picked up wrong so I thought I would ask.

yes, but each network card has its specific address, it is impossible to determine the mac of a pc out of your network for example mine.

so the answer is no,
only yours and others in your network.

Mr JP Fugley
10-27-2007, 08:38 PM
So if I knew your ip I couldn't work out the mac address of device you were using to connect to the internet. Is that correct.

Jiggles
10-27-2007, 08:43 PM
So if I knew your ip I couldn't work out the mac address of device you were using to connect to the internet. Is that correct.

i just checked google, take a look at this-

http://www.youngzsoft.net/cc-get-mac-address/

im not sure exactly if it can do what you want, its worth taking a look.

blackbird
10-27-2007, 08:44 PM

no you cant .. there is no way you can find the MAC outside your segment ..

Jiggles
10-27-2007, 08:44 PM
its only use in a LAN, but can be used out of your range, if you want to download it *trial

then pm me and i'll get you the link

fstrulz
10-27-2007, 08:46 PM
I think the MAC address is: FU-CK-OF-FM-RJ-PF

blackbird
10-27-2007, 08:48 PM
its only use in a LAN, but can be used out of your range..

if you try it on an ip outside your segment.. you are only gona get the MAC address of the router nearest to you

Mr JP Fugley

i just checked google, take a look at this-

http://www.youngzsoft.net/cc-get-mac-address/

im not sure exactly if it can do what you want, its worth taking a look.

Thanks for the link, that seems to be about finding a MAC address on a LAN as discussed earlier.

Jiggles
its impossible for you to determine my mac address if you know my ip. However it can be done on a LAN outside your range.

Mr JP Fugley
10-27-2007, 08:49 PM

Thanks for that.

As a supplementary, what do you mean by segment.

Jiggles
10-27-2007, 08:50 PM
if you cant find a download link then pm me, i have a few.

Jiggles
10-27-2007, 08:50 PM
i think he means range or LAN range.

blackbird
10-27-2007, 08:51 PM

Thanks for that.

As a supplementary, what do you mean by segment.

http://www.inetdaemon.com/tutorials/lan/define_network_segment.shtml

Mr JP Fugley
10-27-2007, 08:58 PM
if you cant find a download link then pm me, i have a few.

No thanks it was the internets I was interested in. However I do really appreciate the offer.

If I want to know which PCs are attached to the LAN I just check the DHCP table.

thewizeard
10-27-2007, 10:07 PM
Not all ISPs work with MAC addresses in the Netherlands the local cable does and the modem's MAC addy is then "registered", a manual process.. this is performed when one logs in for the very first time. The ISP can see the mac address from one's modem, when it's online, in this example and if the modem is changed, then the new MAC address from the modem would need to be registered. This is not the case everywhere..and my ISP (ADSL) works with a different system where the connection belongs to the IP address. I know you know all this and I think you already know the answer too :) In my case it would be possible for my ISP to see all the MAC addresses of all the connected hardware as I do have specific MAC addresses registered by my ISP, belonging to the hardware on different LAN connections; for routing and network security reasons.

manicgeek
10-28-2007, 01:45 AM
I can't think of any reason for you wanting this information, this information is only used at the arp address level of the TCP/IP subsystem.

The answer is yes you can obtain that information from wherever you happen to be, however there are some possible conditions that mean the information you'd get would be wrong. The primary one of which is a TCP/IP option called proxy-arp, this allows a device to advertise it's self at the arp address level as being the route to forward packets for the specified MAC address to/through. This is what clusters use if they need the cluster nodes to share the MAC address The other one that could make it meaningless is if the IP address is being round robbined between several different devices with different MAC addresses.

Because the MAC address is only used at the arp address level (that's within a segment) it is of no value to anyone outside of the segment, however every packet that a device generates will contain it's MAC address, assuming that it isn't using a local MAC addressing scheme (that's where the TCP/IP stack writes a user defined MAC address into every packet (that's what is used to make it possible for all of the network cards in one device to share the same MAC address(generally only used in big enterprise stuff where the device can be accessed over multiple routes)) and assuming that the packet doesn't undergo some serious packet mangling as it passes through another device on it's route to you, and assuming that the packet isn't a broadcast or multicast packet, they use the MAC address FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF and are not supposed to be routeable.

The information you want could only really be of any use for an arp poisoning attack and to use that you'd have to have access to the arp address level inside the segment, as you are very unlikely to have that level of access to any remote device the information is useless even if you can get it.

The only other reason that I can think of for obtaining this information is to allow MAC filtering to be bypassed on a wireless router... and if you wanted it for use on a router that you will be close enough to be able to use it on at some point in the future then you'd be quicker to sniff the wireless packets and take it from them... after you break the encryption of course.

Of course with me being on ignore you'll not be able to read any of this :lol:

callum
10-28-2007, 01:46 AM
I can't think of any reason for you wanting this information, this information is only used at the arp address level of the TCP/IP subsystem.

The answer is yes you can obtain that information from wherever you happen to be, however there are some possible conditions that mean the information you'd get would be wrong. The primary one of which is a TCP/IP option called proxy-arp, this allows a device to advertise it's self at the arp address level as being the route to forward packets for the specified MAC address to/through. This is what clusters use if they need the cluster nodes to share the MAC address The other one that could make it meaningless is if the IP address is being round robbined between several different devices with different MAC addresses.

Because the MAC address is only used at the arp address level (that's within a segment) it is of no value to anyone outside of the segment, however every packet that a device generates will contain it's MAC address, assuming that it isn't using a local MAC addressing scheme (that's where the TCP/IP stack writes a user defined MAC address into every packet (that's what is used to make it possible for all of the network cards in one device to share the same MAC address(generally only used in big enterprise stuff where the device can be accessed over multiple routes)) and assuming that the packet doesn't undergo some serious packet mangling as it passes through another device on it's route to you, and assuming that the packet isn't a broadcast or multicast packet, they use the MAC address FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF and are not supposed to be routeable.

The information you want could only really be of any use for an arp poisoning attack and to use that you'd have to have access to the arp address level inside the segment, as you are very unlikely to have that level of access to any remote device the information is useless even if you can get it.

The only other reason that I can think of for obtaining this information is to allow MAC filtering to be bypassed on a wireless router... and if you wanted it for use on a router that you will be close enough to be able to use it on at some point in the future then you'd be quicker to sniff the wireless packets and take it from them... after you break the encryption of course.

Of course with me being on ignore you'll not be able to read any of this :lol:

sorted

Jiggles
10-28-2007, 04:02 AM
manicgeek (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/../../members/manicgeek-180751), i guess you live up to your name.