PDA

View Full Version : Should 56k Users Share "exclusive Copy" Movies?

ehnoismemu
07-15-2003, 02:45 AM
so a 56k user finally got that rare DVD from his friend and encoded it to divx, svcd, or whatever. it's a 700 mb file and nobody else has exactly that file, 'cause he himself encoded it with his customized settings, etc, etc, etc.
is it worth to share that file, i mean, if somebody tries to download it, that will take something like 50 ~ 60 hours -- actually, nobody will download it. so, for very rare files, is the sharing network made of only broadband users?

EnJoi
07-15-2003, 02:47 AM
r u talkinng bout urself juss say so!

ehnoismemu
07-15-2003, 03:01 AM
lol! :lol:
nope, unfortunately i'm not talking about myself, cause i don't even have a dvd-rom on my computer. :(

mogadishu
07-15-2003, 03:55 AM
well for sure, kazaa isnt made for 56kers trying to download a single file from one person because the supernodes change so much. If you want to transfer using a p2p client, try soulseek. Its mostyl for music but you can transfer anything you want directly. If the 56ker is already going to be online.. someone would wait 60 hrs for the dl. I have 768 adsl and i wait 5 days sometimes for a rare movie. I even have one movie.. dog soldiers.. thats been on my traffic for well over a month. Its downloaded 500mb so far.. and its almost done. waiting is worth it.

Damnatory
07-15-2003, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by mogadishu@15 July 2003 - 04:55
I even have one movie.. dog soldiers.. thats been on my traffic for well over a month.
That's exactly why I stopped downloading movies from K-lite. Every Verified takes like 6 days to download. I have a 3mbit cap and know that I can download things so much faster. Now I use mIRC... :D I can download a 1.6gb file that includes both CD bin/cues in 45 minutes. (Well excluding the 2 hours of waiting in a queue line, but still my wait has been minimzed to 3 hours instead of a week.)

EDIT: okay 45 minutes is an exaggeration, but seriously it's never takes more then an hour and 10 minutes for the complete file. normally at right at 300kbs.

mogadishu
07-15-2003, 04:31 AM
what kind of connection do you have that you can download 1.6gb in 45 min? thats 590 KB/s. Unless you are on a t3 that is impossible... and if you dont use kazaa for movies, then what do you use it for? Music - soulseek is 10 times better.. and i guess sofware is ok.

Damnatory
07-15-2003, 05:28 AM
Yep, music and software.

kazaaliterock
07-15-2003, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by mogadishu@15 July 2003 - 04:55
I even have one movie.. dog soldiers.. thats been on my traffic for well over a month. Its downloaded 500mb so far.. and its almost done. waiting is worth it.
hehe i downloaded off kazaa in less then 10hours. i have 640k so it shoulda been 4 hour but compare to u thats nothin. and i can never get mirc to resume my partially downloaded file. it always says " requestion resume" and then "connection fail"

MeMeMeSoHony
07-15-2003, 06:29 AM
uhhh @mogadishu , damnatory said it wasnt really 45 minutes , but more like one hour and 10 minutes. He mentioned that he uses IRC to download movies now.

@Damnator
thats why i miss my cable connection. I used to download stuff there at around 250 k/bs usually. So many albums...RETAIL albums.... Iso-s , Divx , ugh.... Games.... soooooo freakin much to download there. Hopefully i'll get my cable connection hooked up real soon.... i wanna get that Badboys 2 ....of course , when it comes out...but i just wanna download it , burn it , put it in dvd player , and bam , sit on my couch and eat some popcorn hehehe....

ohhh , mmmm if the file is rare then yes share it , but send it to someone with a fast connection first , that way that person can now share that file @ good speeds :P

ahctlucabbuS
07-15-2003, 09:16 PM
mmmm if the file is rare then yes share it , but send it to someone with a fast connection first , that way that person can now share that file @ good speeds 

Yea I agree, otherwise there isn´t much point if people wont get it anyway...

juderobs
07-15-2003, 10:15 PM
To ehnoismemu what is the file your mate is wanting to share (I would go ahead and share because new and rare stuff usually gets pretty bad speeds anyway)

To mogadishu Sorry to hear it took / taking so long for Dog Soldiers, I have downloaded twice (because pc crashed and had to clean it up :angry: ) and both times got in at least a day or 2, here is link and I am sharing

Dog.Soldiers.LIMITED.DiVX-DiAMOND.avi (sig2dat:///|File:Dog.Soldiers.LIMITED.DiVX-DiAMOND.avi|Length:729972736 Bytes,712864KB|UUHash:=g7EpZ3NLXqTU7QtpVWyiDHJLaGs=|)

MetroStars
07-15-2003, 10:30 PM
This topic is a tough 1, 2 call..

When i had my 56k i would try and download movies , DVD Rips, TMD Movies i must have bin a right pain in the ass 2 folk with good speeds..

ehnoismemu
07-15-2003, 11:21 PM
actually i was just thinking about the possibility of that happening, i mean, of somebody having a rare file around 700mb and a 56k connection.
but soon i will get a dvd-rip called CITY OF GOD (CIDADE DE DEUS), it's a brazilian movie, a real good one, it almost won the oscar for best foreign movie, but it didn't.
i'll post the hashes, if there's none already. ;)
btw, it's a 1.4gb movie, and yes, i AM a 56k user. :( :angry:

Twigboy
07-16-2003, 07:59 AM
I'm on dialup so I try not to be cruel by have large unique files to share-1 of a kind,usually if it's something I share that's not on here it's under 2megs-cracks I found somewhere or small games like Spheres of Chaos-under 900k w/crack.
If movies I try to share something that's already on here maybe not so popular but agood movie in general.

ahctlucabbuS
07-16-2003, 08:11 AM
I think city of god was on bittorrent a while back. Might still be active..?
Worth a shot.

Alucard1475
07-16-2003, 08:22 AM
i can never get mirc to resume my partially downloaded file. it always says " requestion resume" and then "connection fail"

Does not happen to me.

I am a 56k user and currently I'm downloading the game "Black Hawk Down" from mIRC and the download resumes every time I connect.

6 days to go, in the 8 hours I'm on the net or 50h

N£MO
07-16-2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by ehnoismemu@15 July 2003 - 03:45
so a 56k user finally got that rare DVD from his friend and encoded it to divx, svcd, or whatever. it's a 700 mb file and nobody else has exactly that file, 'cause he himself encoded it with his customized settings, etc, etc, etc.
is it worth to share that file, i mean, if somebody tries to download it, that will take something like 50 ~ 60 hours -- actually, nobody will download it. so, for very rare files, is the sharing network made of only broadband users?
It is hard for 56k'ers to share exclusive files and not really worth it in the long run.Just get broadband or cable if it is in your area,the extra cash is well worth paying. :)

Damnatory
07-16-2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by kazaaliterock@15 July 2003 - 07:29
it always says " requestion resume" and then "connection fail"
Do you have your DCC options set to auto except incoming DCC's? If not you have to manually accept them, if you don't within 150 seconds your connection times out.

iamtheoneandonlyone
07-16-2003, 10:30 AM
They'd better. The more copies of movies the merrier.

asmithz
07-16-2003, 10:30 AM
I dont know why you wouldn't download movies it dosent take 6 day's. I have a 56k and downloaded matrix reloaded, whitch is around 800mb, in only 3 days. Normaly i get the TMD version witch take 1 1/2 days.

Yeah someone is bound to download it lol.

Adster
07-16-2003, 11:13 AM
Yeah thats a massive problemm for me bein gon 56k I have alot of DVDs that I would love to rip but I see no point in it as the person downloding off me will just give up after 2 megs

huuramis
07-21-2003, 07:55 AM
i cbf reading the other posts, but just to reply to the question asked, Yes 56ker's should share there files, if you dont want them, dont download them and go find a another source.