PDA

View Full Version : Trent Reznor comments on OiNK

sexydingo
10-31-2007, 03:43 AM
Anyone see this yet? Pretty cool. I think I'm now an even bigger fan of Trent Reznor, if that were possible.

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2007/10/trent_reznor_and_saul_williams.html

What do you think about OiNK being shut down?
Trent: I'll admit I had an account there and frequented it quite often. At the end of the day, what made OiNK a great place was that it was like the world's greatest record store. Pretty much anything you could ever imagine, it was there, and it was there in the format you wanted. If OiNK cost anything, I would certainly have paid, but there isn't the equivalent of that in the retail space right now. iTunes kind of feels like Sam Goody to me. I don't feel cool when I go there. I'm tired of seeing John Mayer's face pop up. I feel like I'm being hustled when I visit there, and I don't think their product is that great. DRM, low bit rate, etc. Amazon has potential, but none of them get around the issue of pre-release leaks. And that's what's such a difficult puzzle at the moment. If your favorite band in the world has a leaked record out, do you listen to it or do you not listen to it? People on those boards, they're grateful for the person that uploaded it — they're the hero. They're not stealing it because they're going to make money off of it; they're stealing it because they love the band. I'm not saying that I think OiNK is morally correct, but I do know that it existed because it filled a void of what people want.

Grind$oFine
10-31-2007, 04:00 AM
That IS really cool.
I love when musicians support stuff like this.

dnero73
10-31-2007, 04:00 AM
he has a pretty cool attitude about filesharing

sexydingo
10-31-2007, 05:24 AM
How much did you guys pay for the new Radiohead album?

Saul: I paid $7, which is like, what, fourteen pounds? No, wait, that's like three pounds!

Trent: I bought the physical one, so I spent a whopping $80. [Pauses.] But, then I re-bought it and paid $5,000, because I really felt that I need to support the arts, so people could follow in my footsteps.

awoeonip
10-31-2007, 05:25 AM
Times like these make me wish that we had the oink database.

I want to know who invited him!!

psxcite
10-31-2007, 08:08 AM
You would be surprised how many artists frequented Oink. I'm a sound engineer and I personally know quite a few that had accounts. Many will publicly state they don't agree with filesharing because their record company would freak otherwise.

But in end, it's all about sharing your sound with people. And Oink did this - and they loved it.

fifty99
10-31-2007, 08:52 AM
the question in my mind is were any of his albums ever leaked to the site and was it him who leaked them?

or any of the other artists' and thier music

bystpt
10-31-2007, 10:25 AM
hail,hail trent

Robbie
10-31-2007, 11:11 AM
great guy that trent !

pnmgomes
10-31-2007, 04:40 PM
That's why Nine Inch Nails Music is so Great :)

ersatzp
10-31-2007, 07:05 PM
He's already made his millions so he won't care too much if his work is pirated. But he does offer an interesting view and I wouldn't be surprised if someone tries to copy the site to some extent.

Defy
10-31-2007, 07:11 PM
Lol! Even people that have millions of dollars pirate software/music/movies off the internet. ;)

That's just cool. All hail bittorrents!

fstrulz
10-31-2007, 07:13 PM
I actually invited Trent... He's a good user.

http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/77/oinktrentreznorstripzm3.png

KFlint
10-31-2007, 07:34 PM
Trent for President :D

an interesting perspective he has

seriously, oink didn't mena to steal artist for me, i use to buy stuff i like and listen to

i won't pay bucks for something i hear one time and flush because i don't like after all

oink was great for that, miss you piggy!

RainRoofer
10-31-2007, 07:45 PM
The guy rules.Respect

papaji
11-01-2007, 10:33 AM
Trent sums it up so nicely. I don't think the majority of Oink users used it for downloading pre-released Top 40 stuff; we've got other (non-private) trackers for that. I think the majority of people - including your truly - used Oink to leech stuff that was not commercially available (anymore). I will truly miss Oink for that. I'm curious to see which tracker steps up to the plate.

gnlstryker
11-01-2007, 06:26 PM
Respect.