PDA

View Full Version : Bytemonsoon Closed Indefinately

max0d
07-15-2003, 12:49 PM
In a surprise announcement made yesterday, the administrator of Bytemonsoon.com, a popular Bit Torrent directory site, announced the immediate closedown of the site.

DFX made the announcement in a user forum hosted by filesoup.com:

"Due to excessive bw usage, lack of a stable host, also constant dos attacks and lack of other options as i'm leaving in 5 hours and havent slept yet, I have no other choice but to shut the site down. If anyone is willing to take the job of administering the site, including providing host and bw, plus defending against dos attacks, the code and database is up for grabs. I would even continue to do the coding.

Sorry to everyone for this, but i have no other choice. I wish i could keep it up; it's been really great, even though it's been a constant struggle. I'm pretty worn out right now so I dunno what else to say. Sorry again."

Bytemonsoon underwent a makeover just a few hours before the closure of the site, in an effort to reduce bandwidth usage and server resources.

The closure came as a complete surprise to most users, particularly after the redesign of the site. Most users have begun sending regards to Bytemonsoon's administrator. While there is a possibility someone may carry the torch forward, it is unlikely any re-activation of the site will occur because of a pre-planned two week holiday for the site administrator.

Other Bit Torrent sites will likely see a dramatic increase in traffic as Bytemonsoon's considerable user base moves on.

For additional details:

http://www.filesoup.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8296

Gre1
07-15-2003, 05:41 PM
Yeah Bytemonsoon is closed since about before 12:00 I think and that was real unexpected it was like a home to me well now I use the other sites to upload all my torrents and if u want to find them then just go to

http://www.filesoup.com/torrents/new.php

EnJoi
07-15-2003, 05:46 PM
http://www.zenith-net.co.uk/

wannabe

Dieselpower
07-15-2003, 05:47 PM
Very sad, it was the best Bittorrent site...
SuprNova.org isn't that good now as it was to be... :(

EnJoi
07-15-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by Dieselpower@15 July 2003 - 18:47
Very sad, it was the best Bittorrent site...
SuprNova.org isn't that good now as it was to be... :(
seriously but look at http://www.zenith-net.co.uk/ i think its the new bytemonsoon it was da best i hope torrense.cx become the BEST again

max0d
07-15-2003, 06:22 PM
Wierd, that site look just like bitemonsoon. But with only three torrents.

namzuf9
07-15-2003, 06:36 PM
Its a sad day to see this but I wish the admin of Bytemonsoon all the best for the future. Unfortunatley BT sites will come and go due to the nature of BT P2P (i.e. it's web based and is subject to laws governing copyright issues.) and also the admin of such sites pay out so much in hosting and recieve so very little in return (donations, mercindise etc.)
If only we were willing to pay a little for all we recieve in return , maybe, just maybe sites like Bytemonsoon would still be with us.

Gre1
07-15-2003, 06:40 PM
Enjoi thanks for posting that I saw the site earlier just didn't go to it well it still give me the feel of bytemonsoon so time to move in theres only a couple of torrents cause noones uploaded yet, until now.

max0d
07-15-2003, 06:47 PM
We'd better get uploading then.

Gre1
07-15-2003, 06:49 PM
My thoughts exactly

3RA1N1AC
07-15-2003, 07:17 PM
bleh. BT is turning into a pain in the @ss, because you can't rely on any of the trackers to stay online.

Gre1
07-15-2003, 07:52 PM
The only way u can say something is a pain in the ass is if u are donating which I doubt u are. They are paying for that out of there pocket for us to just use and download what we want. So if anything is a pain in the ass its the users who cause a pain in there pocket until they can't pay anymore. So don't expect any BT site to stay up forever.

jay973
07-15-2003, 07:59 PM
I was hoping this day would never come.I have used Bytemonsoon virtually exclusively as I found it to be the best site around.Suprnova just isnt the same as it was either.Heres hoping something will rise out of the ashes. :(

Gre1
07-15-2003, 08:18 PM
Clik the zenith link a above and u will see bytemonsoon's lil brother

Wizzandabe
07-15-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by 3RA1N1AC@15 July 2003 - 19:17
bleh. BT is turning into a pain in the @ss, because you can't rely on any of the trackers to stay online.
Private bit torrent teacker is on. Never off. :P shame no new memeber can join.

Gre1
07-15-2003, 08:30 PM
Thats y its always on cause he allowed all the people he wanted and knew how many was enough for less bandwidth and no one can ddos it either