PDA

View Full Version : SSL on newsgroups

Smeghead^
11-02-2007, 12:35 AM
hey pplz ,
been reading around and just wanted to get your views on this
firstly newsgroups is meant to be anonymous since connection is only to a server and not to other ppl ( like emule) - so why would 1 want ssl ? what does it give me ?
is the ssl connection like enabling "protocol obfuscation" in the emule network - hides the protocol being used ? so its not known to the isp ?

any clarifications on the ssl feature ?

cheers

start
11-02-2007, 02:52 PM
Secure Socket Layer (SSL) basically encrypts all the data between you and the Usenet hosting company. Your ISP can see what you download on a normal connection. SSL is good if your unsure about your ISP monitoring your connection, etc.

DooMeD68
11-02-2007, 04:16 PM
ISP can only monitor the amount of bytes you are uploading and downloading - not the files ! even encryption - the same rules apply !

Smeghead^
11-03-2007, 01:40 AM
ISP can only monitor the amount of bytes you are uploading and downloading - not the files ! even encryption - the same rules apply !

so whats the point of ssl ?

Racket
11-03-2007, 03:26 AM
^^As previously mentioned, SSL prevents your ISP from seeing what you download if you are concerned. Most usenet providers also do not monitor what you download; they just monitor the amount of traffic. This provides you additional piece of mind. Without SSL, your ISP could monitor what files you are downloading if they so wished, etc.

Smeghead^
11-03-2007, 10:14 PM
so i untill i don't hear any security problems concerning my isp checking newsgroup traffic / reporting users theres no need for this feature........

cheers for the clarification :D

ADELA
11-04-2007, 12:52 AM
so i untill i don't hear any security problems concerning my isp checking newsgroup traffic / reporting users theres no need for this feature........

cheers for the clarification :D

i got a warning from my isp for using to much bw and my acct was flagged. since then ive deleted 90% of my bt accts and clicked the box for ssl on newsleecher. its better safe than sorry!

Smeghead^
11-04-2007, 05:40 PM
i got a warning from my isp for using to much bw and my acct was flagged. since then ive deleted 90% of my bt accts and clicked the box for ssl on newsleecher. its better safe than sorry!

how much were you downloading when you got the warning ?

ADELA
11-04-2007, 09:38 PM

how much were you downloading when you got the warning ?

comcast 600 gb's +or-

Smeghead^
11-05-2007, 01:31 AM
heh - thats defanitly alot :D unless you are limited in your contract with your isp you should of told them to buzz off - you pay for a specific speed connection and you have the right to use max bandwidth all the time - you payed for it didn't you ? :D

start
11-05-2007, 09:22 AM
heh - thats defanitly alot :D unless you are limited in your contract with your isp you should of told them to buzz off - you pay for a specific speed connection and you have the right to use max bandwidth all the time - you payed for it didn't you ? :D

It's hard to say F-you when Comcast, AT&T, etc. are the only providers in your area. Take it from me :)

ADELA
11-05-2007, 05:08 PM

It's hard to say F-you when Comcast, AT&T, etc. are the only providers in your area. Take it from me :)

not only that but im a lil paranoid. i dont want the internetz police after me.

Smeghead^
11-05-2007, 05:40 PM
but when you think about it - Even if you use an SSL connection - the Data is Encrypted at the Usenet provider's end and decoded at yours - so hypetheticlly , if some "internet police" cracks down on the Usenet Provider they would still probably get info about what Files where encrypted and maybe logged ips directing them to you - which means you're not totally out the woods :) correct me if im wrong .......... :D
ohh the paranoia ..........:D

ADELA
11-05-2007, 07:39 PM
but when you think about it - Even if you use an SSL connection - the Data is Encrypted at the Usenet provider's end and decoded at yours - so hypetheticlly , if some "internet police" cracks down on the Usenet Provider they would still probably get info about what Files where encrypted and maybe logged ips directing them to you - which means you're not totally out the woods :) correct me if im wrong .......... :D

great!! now u just fucked up newsgroups for me!

MultiForce
11-05-2007, 08:19 PM

As long as you don't upload anything they won't "care".... It has always been like that whatever you have used, and I don't think it's going to change any time soon.

Smeghead^
11-05-2007, 09:29 PM
don't think it's going to change any time soon.

yeah , i see your point.
i still see newsgroups the least known filesharing "problem".

id say that the ssl feature still hasn't proven its pros against normal usage ( if some1 really wanted to find you/know what you take down/up from ng's they would even with ssl) - just added abit more hassels along the way for the police and peace of mind for the user.