PDA

View Full Version : Vcd Vs. Svcd

RuffRyda
07-15-2003, 04:01 PM
Can someone explain what the difference is and which one is better?

EoN
07-15-2003, 04:31 PM
Video CD and Super Video CD, so im guessing its the later.
I know SVCD is bigger e.g. more discs for a movie so SVCD

toddiscool
07-15-2003, 05:16 PM
Technically I do not know the diffrence but SVCD is alot better quality. they use diffrent encosing MPEG 1, MPEG 2. Don;t worry about vcd just do svcd.

chimp2k2
07-15-2003, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by toddiscool@15 July 2003 - 18:16
Technically I do not know the diffrence but SVCD is alot better quality. they use diffrent encosing MPEG 1, MPEG 2. Don;t worry about vcd just do svcd.
VCD is shit in my opinion

any lower than SVCD and i don't download it :D

gidser
07-15-2003, 05:30 PM
svcd is better something to do with frame rates and the like,but it also takes a fair bit longer to encode.and if you're dvd player does'nt support it you're knackerd.

RuffRyda
07-15-2003, 05:53 PM
the svcd movie downloads are bigger than 700MB, how can i put a bigger file in a 700mb cd or are there any other cds that can hold more except dvd

AznRocky
07-15-2003, 05:59 PM
theya re usually in bin's and cues u have to burn the image then somehow it works

RuffRyda
07-15-2003, 06:37 PM
File:28.Days.Later.DVDRIP.SVCD.CD1.mpg
Length:763772060 Bytes,745871KB
UUHash:=+3girik8bI+R3jlbBnN3cEx45TE=

that file is an mpg, not bin, is it still prossible to put it on a cd-r?

Gre1
07-15-2003, 06:53 PM
I like vcd I burn all the time and I guess you've seen my post if u ever want to download one u can go to www.torrentse.cx and look for my latest release Daredevil its the only one there

toddiscool
07-15-2003, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by RuffRyda@15 July 2003 - 19:37

If you turn the quality way down yes, it will still need to be reencoded.
This has Been said a hundred time but let me say it again. (S)VCD is not about file size, it is about bitrate that it is encoded with. I put 28 days later on threee CD's at perfect quality. For more info on how to edit and work with vcd files please see the link in my sig.

Jibbler
07-15-2003, 07:23 PM
SVCDs are ripped so that they will fit on a 700mb disk, regardless of filesize. This has nothing to do with bitrate, but simple format compression. A 700mb disk will hold 80 minutes of video. When you burn that mpg, it will fit. I use VCDEasy and just burn it as SVCD. Keep in mind that SVCD players are pretty rare. Many standalone DVD players will play VCD. SVCD is much more rare. :)

chimp2k2
07-15-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Jibbler@15 July 2003 - 20:23
SVCDs are ripped so that they will fit on a 700mb disk, regardless of filesize. This has nothing to do with bitrate, but simple format compression. A 700mb disk will hold 80 minutes of video. When you burn that mpg, it will fit. I use VCDEasy and just burn it as SVCD. Keep in mind that SVCD players are pretty rare. Many standalone DVD players will play VCD. SVCD is much more rare. :)
you cannot fit 80 minutes of SVCD video onto a 700mb cd

RuffRyda
07-15-2003, 07:34 PM

If you turn the quality way down yes, it will still need to be reencoded.
This has Been said a hundred time but let me say it again. (S)VCD is not about file size, it is about bitrate that it is encoded with. I put 28 days later on threee CD's at perfect quality. For more info on how to edit and work with vcd files please see the link in my sig.

is your 28 days later the same one im downloading, i cant preview the one im downloading on avi preview.

Gre1
07-15-2003, 07:56 PM
chimp2k2:you cannot fit 80 minutes of SVCD video onto a 700mb cd

I can fit 2 hours on a 700 mb disk

toddiscool
07-15-2003, 08:21 PM
is your 28 days later the same one im downloading, i cant preview the one im downloading on avi preview.

I am not usre to tell you the truth, but i think not because i prefer to encode my own and sometimes reencoding alreaddy encoded files can be a pain. I would sugest this one. ooops i deleted allreaddy, didn;t mean to do that. Anyway it was a Divx dvd rip i beleive. (great)

as for

SVCDs are ripped so that they will fit on a 700mb disk, regardless of filesize. This has nothing to do with bitrate, but simple format compression. A 700mb disk will hold 80 minutes of video. When you burn that mpg, it will fit. I use VCDEasy and just burn it as SVCD. Keep in mind that SVCD players are pretty rare. Many standalone DVD players will play VCD. SVCD is much more rare.

What the f*** are you talking about, and 80 min AUDIO cd is going to fit 80 mins of audio and video. That is what makes learning this stuff so damn hard, people who really do not know what they are talkin about telling n00bs (not calling ruffryda a noob) some wrong bullshit. How kuch will fit is decied the by the size of the video (486X486 or whatever) and the bitrate that it is encoded with.

Please ruff follow the link in my sig if your a real new about this, if you kinda know what you are doing look on dvdrhelp.com. And if you have question about how much will fit on a svcd go to a bitrate calculator like this one (http://www.digvid.info/digitalvideo/bitrate_calc.php)

toddiscool
07-15-2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Gre1@15 July 2003 - 20:56
chimp2k2:you cannot fit 80 minutes of SVCD video onto a 700mb cd

I can fit 2 hours on a 700 mb disk
http://home.cogeco.ca/~tgriffin2/idiot.gif

there you have it to fit 2 hours you would have to encode at 689kbps.

I can draw better than that.
n00b

Gre1
07-15-2003, 08:33 PM
Uh my bitrate is never that low from 1150 up to 2500

Gre1
07-15-2003, 08:34 PM
Uh my bitrate is never that low from 1150 up to 2500 go and download daredevil from torrentse.cx and u will see the quality

Edit: My bad on double post getting 404 error which causes need for refresh cause I'm uploading stuff

toddiscool
07-15-2003, 08:38 PM
Ok Pal.
It is mathmatical - you cannot fit 2 hours of 2500 bitrate encoded movie onto one disk. It is not possible. Mathmatically.
It is a matter of logic - either you are lying - or you are an idiot.
Are you burning it on DVD disks, then you could but not on a 700mb cd-r.

Look at the picture, or put your file into an encoder and select fi to 80min cd. it is gonna be shit quality or be wayyyy to big.

If you wanna think that you are that much better at this then anyone else go aheas.

Can you watch these magicall movies on a dvd player. Your are probably burning them as data not SVCD.

RuffRyda
07-15-2003, 08:42 PM
Thanks Bro, I really appreciate the help.

Gre1
07-15-2003, 08:50 PM
Ok i've been burning this shit for a while now most movies are 90 mins (1hour 30 mins) and I put them on 700 mb cd-rs all the time 2500 is just the max its set at the min is 300. So like I said before go and download daredevil. As for do they work in dvd players yes and no cause they play in mine but not everyones but they still will play on your comp with WinDVD or PowerDVD for Windows XP. If u get the movie (Daredevil ) when it completes then tell me how stupid u feel.

RuffRyda
07-15-2003, 09:08 PM
One more thing...

Can i download an AVI file and then turn it into MPEG-2?
If so how many bitrates is good quality?

toddiscool
07-15-2003, 09:12 PM
Is this one yours Daredevil -Grencode-.mpg «dl»
Seeing as no one is seeding it i think that i will not bother to d'ld your shit gayencode.

2500 is just the max its set at the min is 300. 

So then you set it at the Minimum, is that what you are saying? Again I can draw better than that.

Anyway I really do not need to arguw with you about this, because i think that Ruff has taken my advce and stopped listening to you.

As for do they work in dvd players yes and no cause they play in mine but not everyones

Perhaps your DVD player is divx compatibel. Cuz from what you are saying the only way to burn a 2 hour movie at good quality is to compress using divx or a similar format.

Quote from DVDrhelp.com this article Or perhaps you know more than the creators of that site aswell (http://www.dvdrhelp.com/svcd)

SVCD stands for "Super VideoCD". A SVCD is very similiar to a VCD, it has the capacity to hold about 35-60 minutes on 74/80 min

toddiscool
07-15-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by RuffRyda@15 July 2003 - 22:08
One more thing...

Can i download an AVI file and then turn it into MPEG-2?
Yes, please I have said this a couple of times for a complete walthrough on how to do it follow the link in my sig. Very straight forward instruction. If you have any questions please use the link given at the end of the tutorial.

As for bitrate, for animated syuff i usually never go lower than 2050 (just where I like it) as for a usuall movie go as high as possible.

RuffRyda
07-15-2003, 09:51 PM
Anyway I really do not need to arguw with you about this, because i think that Ruff has taken my advce and stopped listening to you.

Yes, I have taken your adivice.

Gre1
07-15-2003, 09:55 PM
Its amazing how much people think they know just from reading a guide or something on the internet well I guess he just too smart for me he knows all about them, I guess he invented them well i wont say anything else cause he just soooo smart. Also I am seeding my daredevil it has about 68 leechers and about 7:00 8:00 u will see more and my DVD player (Panasonic RV-32) is not divx compatible and if it is it doesn't matter because its an .mpg. Another I was never giving advice I just stated what I can't do don't hate cause u can't. I'm out, don't reply to this cause I don't want to see no more weak shit you've wrote. Holla at ya boy

toddiscool
07-15-2003, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Gre1@15 July 2003 - 22:55
Its amazing how much people think they know just from reading a guide or something on the internet well I guess he just too smart for me he knows all about them, I guess he invented them well i wont say anything else cause he just soooo smart. Also I am seeding my daredevil it has about 68 leechers and about 7:00 8:00 u will see more and my DVD player (Panasonic RV-32) is not divx compatible and if it is it doesn't matter because its an .mpg. Another I was never giving advice I just stated what I can't do don't hate cause u can't. I'm out, don't reply to this cause I don't want to see no more weak shit you've wrote. Holla at ya boy
Dont fuckin pull some cop out shit cuz you realize that you are wrong. Admit the shit.

No i did not invent it, I am not even an expert. I linked you to the number 1 help site and I think that they may no just a little more than you. I would call whoever wrote that article and expert.

As for it being an .mpg you have do more than change the extension to make it an .mpg :lol: :lol:

And i feel for those 68 leechers cuz they are gonna be waitin for a guaranteed peice of shit.

If you want me to take a shit on a .mpg and call it guaranteed i will, i got spare time

Movie?

AlucardXXVII
07-15-2003, 11:12 PM
Isn't there a "standard" when it comes to SVCDs?

I am not an expert, but I know one thing. If you don't encode your SVCD at the right bitrate, it won't play correctly in a standalone DVD player. You may be able to play it on your PC, but it won't function right in your DVD player.

Take this for example:

I downloaded some guy's TMPEGENC templates to "fit an SVCD on one CD". The template allowed me to encode about 120 minutes into a 700 meg file. So, it was "SVCD" but something was toned down severely. Well, I put it in my DVD player and it started playing, but the video was blinking out and it wasn't filling the whole screen.

Also, I don't think there's really anything wrong with VCD. As long as the AVI I start out with is excellent quality, the VCD turns out just fine.

THE DUDE
07-15-2003, 11:14 PM
Everything u want to know and where afraid to ask. (http://www.dvdrhelp.com)
http://www.dvdrhelp.com/images/svcdvsvcd.png

toddiscool
07-15-2003, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by AlucardXXVII@16 July 2003 - 00:12

I downloaded some guy's TMPEGENC templates to "fit an SVCD on one CD". The template allowed me to encode about 120 minutes into a 700 meg file. So, it was "SVCD" but something was toned down severely. Well, I put it in my DVD player and it started playing, but the video was blinking out and it wasn't filling the whole screen.

I am not sure what a template is, I amagine just a set of settings. But as you can see in my above pic, i file that long incoded is going to come out to like 384 kbs, so you make it take less of the screen and maybee bump it to like 1000 (very generous). It is still gonna be shit, I mean what was the end bitrate of the file.

When you start going down really low you will notice it being jumpy, audio cutting in and out. The stuff you described.

I mean as i did show it will fit, but it is gonna be worse quality than a cam version at best. And probably worse with the type of side effects that you said.

Hey dude, nice post, someone actually answered the initial question, haha

Gre1
07-16-2003, 12:23 AM
See I can't talk to people as stupid as u, Quote:"I am not sure what a template is" and also if u could read I was being sarcastic I ain't cop out site and I don't give fuck about what site u went to get you lil info. U better ask around I've uploading this gorgeous files for a while now. No complaints yet. So stick to what u do fucking lame. How could u even try to tell me something when u not sure what a template is. I guess u think that site u go to know everything everyone has different methods so u just do what u do.

toddiscool
07-16-2003, 12:49 AM
God you are thick man. Since you seem to be too stupid to understand what I am saying i pointed you to another source. A source which outlines pretty much every way to make (s)vcd's. Now if do not beleive what they say then good for you. You have reached the level of the most ignorant person in the world.

I am not sure what a template for TMPEGENC is because i do do it my own way. However what i assume a template is would be correct would it not.

Fuck man we can go abck and forth like this all you want it does not bother me, except for the other people that have to look at your ignorance at the top of the board all the time, and every noobie that reads this thread to try and find out how to do it, and gets mislead by your bull.

So let us end it like this anyone who has actully read this entire post and made it to here answer this for use, can you make a 120 minute movie, fit on one 700mb, 80 minute Cd-R, at a decent quality and have it take the majority of a T.V screen (depending on if it is a widescreen, or fullscreen movie, basically keeping the original DVD's aspect ratio)?

But i suppose that it will not matter how many people tell you diffrent cuz you know that you can right? I mean what do the people at dvdrhelp.com know right? Or all of these people know.
Like This moron (http://www.storm-labs.com/moviedb/svcd/) Or maybee this Wate of webspace page (http://www.dvdhelp.us/)

I can post these all fuckin day now you show me one person that agrees with you.

pol
07-16-2003, 01:01 AM
i agree with count alucard, a vcd - at high quality in settings - is fine for me, half the time to encode compared with svcd, and i dont really notice any diff on my player, but then again it was bought on special weekend from safeway, you know like the ones in the petrol stations for about a ton with about 15 free movies :)

Gre1
07-16-2003, 01:03 AM
Ok right here, Quote:"because i do do it my own way" thats exactly what I do I didn't say shit about me making an svcd I said I can fit 2hours but now I will rephrase that to 1:30 cause I never tried two hours of film but anyway I never told a specific way to do what I am doing so how could anybody get mislead and as I recall u started this argument not me. Also the answer to that question at the bottom is yes all u got to do is download the movie and u will see and if bytemonsoon wasn't closed all the times my movies have been snatched and not 1 complaint so how bout this just talking to me flat out. Everybody else Holla at ya boy.

toddiscool
07-16-2003, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by pol@16 July 2003 - 02:01
i agree with count alucard, a vcd - at high quality in settings - is fine for me, half the time to encode compared with svcd, and i dont really notice any diff on my player, but then again it was bought on special weekend from safeway, you know like the ones in the petrol stations for about a ton with about 15 free movies :)
Yeah the ones with the handle on the box, like impulse items at wall-mart. My first one was one like that, and to tell ya the truth I do not notice much diffrence between the two.

Back to this pathetic (dragged on to long, by me included, made a big beef outta nothing rally) argument.

Ok I will downlad a movie from yeah. Let me know when you do another one cuz I really do not want to waste any of my 10gig cap on a movie I do not wanna see.
I will d'ld it and it will be settled there. fair enough?

Gre1
07-16-2003, 01:20 AM
Fine with me. Next I will be uploading Hot Chick unless something new comes up

toddiscool
07-16-2003, 02:11 AM
Sounds good, just post back here when you do or Pm the link to the torrent, that is what you use right?
You had better hope that you do not prove me wrong cuz then I will buggin ya with - how did you do that :lol:

MediaSlayer
07-16-2003, 04:51 AM
It depends on the codec. The older codecs(mpeg and mpeg2) are inferior compared to the new ones:xvid,divx,ogg. With good settings and filters, you can drop down to like 700 for the video and 128 for the audio and still be ok if you are using the newer ones like I mentioned. For svcd i would max out the video bitrate with audio set at 128 or 160. For vcd you don't have a choice.