PDA

View Full Version : For those of you whom have "used" Vista

100%
11-02-2007, 08:06 PM
Poll in process

Linux fans back off. i am not ready yet...

Allexandar
11-02-2007, 09:20 PM
I like Vista & after some tweaking it works just fine!

I had some problems with: Tv card,3ds max,archicad,alcohol,firewall,miranda,foobar... etc,but after some "tweaking"(and update turned on) it works just fine!

Goodbye XP!

mbucari1
11-02-2007, 09:36 PM
I like some parts of Vista & am considering alternatives

I do like it, and it brings fixes to many of the problems I had with XP. However, it is still windows, and still a resource-hogging sloth of an OS. I gave ubuntu a test run a few weeks ago with some problems (which is to be expected when migrating to a new OS), and went back to vista. But after working with it more and more and seeing the rapid degradation of performance (despite regular maintenance and system tweaks), I have decided to make the transition back to ubuntu. It will be a pain in the ass because I will have to format all of my ntfs drives, but I will manage.

clocker
11-02-2007, 09:48 PM
I tried Vista (both 32 &64 bit versions of Ultimate...) and after the initial oohs and aahhs decided it just sucked.
I had high enough levels of hardware that I could run it with no issues (I am not going to jump on the "resource hog" bandwagon- after all, I bought the stuff so it could be used) but the changes from XP seemed increasingly arbitrary and needlessly intrusive.
I had UAC turned off within 10 minutes...

Now triple booting XP Pro (32 & 64 bit) and Ubuntu (v.7.10).
Completely lost in linux so far but that was expected so it doesn't bother me like Vista's eccentricities did.

fstrulz
11-02-2007, 11:19 PM
My parents just bought a new laptop (Core 2 Duo 1GB RAM Intel GMA) a few months ago, and it came with Vista pre-installed in it... It's slow, especially when I started installing softwares (KAV, Office 2007, Nero, Photoshop, etc.) in it and when I tried enabling its Aero 3D effects, which sucks... I just got sick of it and got sick of Windows' vulnerability when it comes to security. So, I reformatted my parents' laptop and installed Ubuntu in it and everything has been smooth ever since.

As we all know, Linux is all about security and you almost don't have to worry about viruses... It's much faster compared to any version of Windows... Also, it has a great file system and you never have to defragment your hard drive... It's also fully customizable and you can make it look like almost anything you want it too, and you can even have a 3D desktop environment with Beryl/Compiz (click here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYsxaMyFV2Y) for the video)... And the best thing about Linux is that it's FREE and you don't need a new/fast computer to run it... It also runs flawlessly in my girlfriend's old Pentium III desktop and my Pentium M laptop and I don't think I'll ever going back to Windows again.

kaffeine
11-03-2007, 02:06 AM
I hate it. it's slow and it eats memory like an endless pit.. and those annoying warnings for everything. just hate it.

peat moss
11-03-2007, 02:42 AM
I did at least try it but prefer XP .

Broken
11-04-2007, 03:36 AM
I got a free copy of Vista Ultimate from MS, so I gave it a shot. First legit OS I've owned in years.

On the computer I was using - Pentium D 820, 1 GB DDR1 400, ATI x1950pro - it sucked. It was slow, and hogged almost all of my RAM.

On my new built - C2D E6600, 2GB DDR2 800, ATI x1950pro - Vista flies. It's actually faster than XP.

So...
If your system is under powered you're gonna hate Vista. If you've got power to spare Vista is great. MS tried to push the bar a little bit, and many people hardware isn't up to the task yet. I see it being another year or two before Vista gets wide spread acceptances by most people.

BTW...
I hate pimping sites but club.live.com is where I got my free copy of Vista Ultimate (and a zune, lol). When that site first opened there was a lot of cheating going on and well... I had as much fun as anyone. MS runs the site and they are good at spotting cheaters now. But, if you can stand playing sucky flash games though you can still get some good prizes for free. They don't have Vista Ultimate anymore but they do have Vista Home Premium and a really, really nice keyboard and mouse set (blue tooth) that I would love to get.

kaiweiler
11-04-2007, 04:05 AM
I am running Vista Ultimate and I love it.
To each his own I guess.

dnero73
11-04-2007, 05:07 AM
i tride it but my hardware was not up to par maybe after christmas i will set up a better machine and i can test it out

zapjb
11-04-2007, 06:51 AM
....Linux fans back off. i am not ready yet...
:lol::lol::lol:

ssj4gogeta
11-04-2007, 10:38 AM
Vista could have been good some of the underlying stuff is quite good but it was released way to early and there are quite a lot of flaws in it, in my opinion.
I am still running it on my laptop but I don't think I could be bothered with running it on my main PC.

S!X
11-04-2007, 10:47 AM
I really like the new interface but performance wise it doesn't cut it for me.

tesco
11-04-2007, 08:29 PM
I like the looks, whic is why I use it, but the fact that a lot of things are moved from where they would be found in xp, just for the sake of change, constantly pisses me off and makes me want to go back.

Evil Fish
11-05-2007, 01:45 AM
windows converted me mac a long time ago, i just can't afford a mac.

orka
11-05-2007, 11:23 AM
Ohhh....hate the new WIN. It look so nice, and prety, but for programs I use the worse. So after a bought the notebook with vista ultimate, I call microsoft and downgrade the vista to XP profesional. Aldo the software part was so hard, 8 hour of loking for driver offcourse:)

blackbird
11-05-2007, 05:00 PM
vista sucks .. its a stupid eyecandy resource hog O.S for teletubbies

SliDer5
11-05-2007, 05:06 PM
nice effects, but worst implementation, got back to XP after 6 months