PDA

View Full Version : Sata With IDE HDD

peat moss
11-03-2007, 08:09 PM
I was just wondering about the speed combining the two different types , I know how to do it and was thinking the IDE will be the slave .

Guess my question is would I really notice much of a bottle neck in performance ? Thing is I bought a new computer which has a 250 gb SATA . So I'm stuck with two IDE s both 250 gbs . I'm giving one to a friend but thought I'd set the other as a slave ,for my movies . :unsure:

clocker
11-03-2007, 09:13 PM
If you add an IDE drive it will be a master since it won't be added to the SATA controller (SATA has no master/slave configuration).

Detale
11-04-2007, 10:30 AM
You could get a case and make it and external drive via USB.

lynx
11-04-2007, 10:54 AM
I'm guessing you meant secondary rather than slave, but as clocker says, it's a completely separate controller. I'm also guessing that you are concerned which one the system will attempt to boot from. The boot order is decided by you in the bios setup.

There should be no conflict between the 2 in terms of performance, they are totally separate devices. The only common point is in the chipset, where everything comes together in any case.

peat moss
11-04-2007, 09:49 PM
Thanks guys much appreciated , I had my old computer friend over today looking for a program and says he has an external case I could have but will just do as Lynx suggested .

I'm glad I asked here . Thanks again .