PDA

View Full Version : Torrentleech now makes you donate to register

chillincool
11-04-2007, 07:11 PM
And there i thought they were closing their registrations for security reasons. Thought they were low down scum for having a pay2leech subscription system? Well now you have to become a VIP (costs $36 for 3 months) just to create a new account. Now THAT'S low.

Comment

Edit: for people who can't read the whole topic:

IRC Topic: 6500+ TORRENTs Site: UP TRACKER: UP Signups: OPEN(through VIP only, [email protected] for details) VIP: OPEN Invites: CLOSED | Please do not PM staff without permission

At least at sct you have to social engineer yourself into paying somebody to invite you. TL cuts out the middle man.

The Gladiator
11-04-2007, 07:17 PM
Become a VIP just to create a new account? Don't make sence for me.

blackbird
11-04-2007, 07:32 PM
where did you read that ? :mellow:

YoYoY
11-04-2007, 07:39 PM
oh another one
now TL and Sct

AkaiDoresu
11-04-2007, 07:41 PM

PirateEagle
11-04-2007, 07:51 PM
where did you read that ? :mellow:
same question here :mellow:

if they really do that that is so lame :pinch: but i hope they did`t
but unfortenatly how thing is going on soon we will see on almost every site review like
content ?/5
speeds ?/5
rarety ?/5
and price how much u pay for leech or invite :pinch:

chillincool
11-04-2007, 08:08 PM
IRC Topic: 6500+ TORRENTs Site: UP TRACKER: UP Signups: OPEN(through VIP only, [email protected] for details) VIP: OPEN Invites: CLOSED | Please do not PM staff without permission

At least at sct you have to social engineer yourself into paying somebody to invite you. TL cuts out the middle man.

Polarbear
11-04-2007, 08:10 PM
And there i thought they were closing their registrations for security reasons. Thought they wear low down scum for having a pay2leech subscription system? Well now you have to become a VIP just to create a new account. Now THAT'S low.

Comment

first of all, i don't take part in polls with answers that contain childish phrases and insults.

secondly if you make statements about a tracker changing their registration policy please name a source for your information or show some proof.

chillincool
11-04-2007, 08:16 PM
And there i thought they were closing their registrations for security reasons. Thought they wear low down scum for having a pay2leech subscription system? Well now you have to become a VIP just to create a new account. Now THAT'S low.

Comment

first of all, i don't take part in polls with answers that contain childish phrases and insults.

secondly if you make statements about a tracker changing their registration policy please name a source for your information or show some proof.

Oh sorry, you're right. I incorrectllly spelled 'were' as 'wear'...must have been thinking of something else while I was typing.

Polarbear
11-04-2007, 08:20 PM

Oh sorry, you're right. I incorrectllly spelled 'were' as 'wear'...must have been thinking of something else while I was typing.

i was refering to the poll options: "gay shit" and "greedy bastards" is not the way i express my opinion in statistics, sorry.

scribble
11-04-2007, 08:23 PM
well TL is cheaper than SCT but still, that's a bad idea unless they're really down in donation money.

chillincool
11-04-2007, 08:28 PM
Statistically speaking, it's to be expected for the sample I'm taking for there to be people who refuse to participate.

Also, being biased owns.

scribble that's what I was thinking. It looks really bad on them. First they have subscriptions fees, now you have to pay $36 to register.

YoYoY
11-04-2007, 08:29 PM
well TL is cheaper than SCT but still, that's a bad idea unless they're really down in donation money.

i don't think they are down in donations

Zeus
11-04-2007, 08:29 PM
Come on you didnt actually think TL would really stay closed membership did you? The sysops love their vips too much. Theres always more money to made.

Rockfang
11-04-2007, 08:48 PM
TL's invite system is currently disabled. Normal signups are also closed. Currently, the only way for new people to get in is via VIP. Some time in the future, invites will more than likely be open again.

ADELA
11-04-2007, 08:54 PM
TL is one step away from being shut down with this move.

fook3d
11-04-2007, 08:59 PM
Thats crazy, They are now directly profiting from the content inside imo.

They are charging you to get access, Not simply accepting donations now, So they will become a juicy target for the authorities.

Also, Now they are working like this, $32 (ish) will allow any authorities to enter the site and grab shitloads of IP's of users etc.

Not a smart move TL :(

ibnahmed
11-04-2007, 09:05 PM
maybe there is a change in their staff.

kanelbulle
11-04-2007, 09:09 PM
Chill down, it takes both money and dedication to run a torrent site. That's something alot of p2p'ers doesn't understand, which sceners do. Sad, but true.

fOrUmAs
11-04-2007, 09:17 PM
Thats crazy, They are now directly profiting from the content inside imo.

They are charging you to get access, Not simply accepting donations now, So they will become a juicy target for the authorities.

Also, Now they are working like this, $32 (ish) will allow any authorities to enter the site and grab shitloads of IP's of users etc.

Not a smart move TL :(

yea i agree with u,just remember that Oink was busted because of what they say earning from they users on copyright material.so i will not even say what then will be with TL...but i havent vote on poll because the answers not even one are good to vote there.

JA
11-04-2007, 09:20 PM
Where'd you get this info?

And any p2l/p4i/p4s (leech, invite, status) is wrong...

PirateEagle
11-04-2007, 09:21 PM

totally agree with you :yup:

Rockfang
11-04-2007, 09:21 PM

I'm a mod at TL. What I typed for the status of signups at TL is correct.

drag0sh23
11-04-2007, 09:38 PM
how much does it cost a ScT invite ?

PirateEagle
11-04-2007, 09:56 PM
how much does it cost a ScT invite ?
20euros :wacko:

Saroman
11-04-2007, 10:06 PM
Dint go through whole thread...

But if its true then its SHAME..

TL is such a nice tracker..

Polarbear
11-04-2007, 10:15 PM

rockfang, do you as a torrentleech mod confirm that tl is closed for regular users, but you can pay money to get a membership?

Rockfang
11-04-2007, 10:18 PM

rockfang, do you as a torrentleech mod confirm that tl is closed for regular users, but you can pay money to get a membership?

Normal signups are closed. The invite system is TEMPORARILY disabled. Currently, the only way to become a new member is to become a vip which costs 25 Euros.

Defy
11-04-2007, 10:22 PM
So, whatever happened to the rules that ALL trackers uphold? Never sell or pay for invites and accounts. Blows that right out of the water, doesn't it? I guess it's okay though if it's the actual site selling you their goods though, right? :rolleyes: :wank:

I never condoned ScT with their "give us money and we'll give you invites" method, but TL (IMO) has just taken it a step further. At least some ScT members had invites from long ago, or maybe won free ones from their contests and whatnot... but NOW, to even get a scrap of a chance at TL you have to pay for......... everything.

Agreed, not a smart move, not at all. So much for what a torrent site and p2p is really supposed to mean...

Polarbear
11-04-2007, 10:26 PM

Normal signups are closed. The invite system is TEMPORARILY disabled. Currently, the only way to become a new member is to become a vip which costs 25 Euros.

thank you for providing us with this information.

mrnobody
11-04-2007, 10:29 PM

wow! glad i am already there ;)

i hate "pay to join" thingy but if that's the only option i hope in near future cost will be lowered to ~ 0-10 euro in invite only condition...like how they have in ScT.

neleven
11-04-2007, 11:07 PM
wow this is lame crap.

Zeus
11-04-2007, 11:40 PM
What surprises me most is that this news actually surprises people. This isnt the first time they've only let people join by paying. They were doing this a couple of years ago. TL has always been about making money. Why do you think they have ads on top of their thousands of vip members. Even Kingrob openly admits the sysops make money from the site.

As for making them a target for the authorites...

1) The owners are from Greece and feel pretty safe as their country is apparently pretty lax about copyright laws

2) The authorities are already there. Go search the TL forums and other boards. You will see that a fair few of their users have been sent cease and desist letters.

fOrUmAs
11-05-2007, 12:03 AM
yep its all abouth money and TL is doing what they know the best money money and money,well im suprise because they get a lot of money anyway for they donors and now this,i could understand if they need for some upgrades or something,but dont think so...

but i just hope its temporarily..

chillincool
11-05-2007, 01:21 AM
I'm sure temporary = until the burst of people who where willing to pay for invites in the first place dies off.

sthand
11-05-2007, 02:53 AM
lol.. torrentleech is a shitty tracker anyway, i wouldn't pay 25 euros to join.

raj3186
11-05-2007, 02:59 AM

wow! glad i am already there ;)

i hate "pay to join" thingy but if that's the only option i hope in near future cost will be lowered to ~ 0-10 euro in invite only condition...like how they have in ScT.

u never get invite for 10 euro in sct ;), 10 euro is for 10 GB upload credit only .Minimum donation for an invite is 20 euro :)

GhostRetired19
11-05-2007, 04:44 AM
good idea :)

Adebisi
11-05-2007, 05:07 AM

Good point, especially for such a large and well known tracker. Surely the owner has thought of this too, though.

GhostRetired19
11-05-2007, 05:12 AM
A TorrentLeech VIP membership gives you no Wait Times, Slot Limitations, or Ratio Requirements. Furthermore, you get special IRC privileges and automatic entry to a monthly VIP iPod/iPone/Game Console draw.

misledhope
11-05-2007, 05:14 AM
maybe thats the point to make more money before they get shut down. either way i think its a terrible thing to do and when they closed signups i decided to not let my account expire which i was doing as i didnt use it anymore on the anticipation it would get better with closed doors but now i really wish they had delacct enabled.

Goodbye TL .. you suck.

xJohnxSmithx
11-05-2007, 05:15 AM
Well, i gotta say. I'm glad I'm already a member. Being a member I have to say, if I wasn't a member there and that was the only way in, I think i'd pay. The reason is the content is great, its easy to keep a good ratio, and it's fast. The 3 most important things in a tracker for a person who can't spend a lot of time on the net, and has a regular 5 megabit cable line. I think a 1 time fee is acceptable as long as the tracker is around for at least a year, with the hope of many more years. But thats only because the tracker is so user friendly. I have heard people complain about staff there but I have never needed to speak to one and probable never will, so I don't know about that. I don't think I'd pay for any other tracker regardless of rarity. I have up to level 9 and none are as usefull as TL. If this is just temporary, they have their reasons and there's nothing to complain about because we'll have our invites back. If people can't wait, they can pay. I don't think this can be compared to sct yet.
That said
I hope this is temporary. I hope no other trackers take this route.

jasperr
11-05-2007, 05:15 AM

Good point, especially for such a large and well known tracker. Surely the owner has thought of this too, though.

with the demise of oink..... i think this is more of a get it while you can scheme for the sysops.. and FTW....

i'm really shocked with the fact that people are just willing to say ok.. bend me over and give it to me hard!.... its really sad, no matter how ya try to explain it, it's still wrong! they close the doors and take away invites then, say oh yeah you can still join.... for a fee..??!! if a user had that same attitude to sell an invite, people would be jumping all over'em and they would most likely get banned from half the trackers around at least... but its okay for a tracker to do this? i think not... but they think they can.. and people will pay to!.. lmao

i feel sorry for them poor mis-guided souls

-REGUARDS-

sugam
11-06-2007, 07:50 AM
Its not their first time. I guess everything will be like before after some time. I think it will never shut down :)

bananaca
11-06-2007, 08:12 AM
Closing down for "security reasons" but allowing vip... If any anti-piracy association wants to get in you think they don't have €25 to do that? pfff...

So much for security now huh.

civeta
11-06-2007, 08:14 AM
Greed gets the best of us... But good thing I am already a member there D:

kingrob
11-06-2007, 09:11 AM
Closing down for "security reasons

sorry but where did anyone post we are closing reg ans invites for that reason ?

we closed invites 1 week before oink was closed and no one from tl ever stated that was the reason it was users here saying that.

as to the vip users have always been able to donate this way to get and account so there is no change there either

all i can say is if you don't like the way the site is run pm NEO on site and i will be happy to delete you accounts

Polarbear
11-06-2007, 09:52 AM
Closing down for "security reasons

sorry but where did anyone post we are closing reg ans invites for that reason ?

we closed invites 1 week before oink was closed and no one from tl ever stated that was the reason it was users here saying that.

as to the vip users have always been able to donate this way to get and account so there is no change there either

all i can say is if you don't like the way the site is run pm NEO on site and i will be happy to delete you accounts

and not a single one of the people who complain most will do this :lol:

sert
11-06-2007, 10:04 AM
lol.. torrentleech is a shitty tracker anyway

lol to your post, you don't know what you talking about, TL is a very good tracker, all scene releases are there pretty quick with fast download speeds, easy to seed back and many comments for its torrent

ZenFountain
11-06-2007, 10:06 AM
I thought that site was a joke when I signed up.

GoLDeN
11-06-2007, 04:48 PM
thats too fucking bad
i mean why they have nothing special and they aint rare i mean i can live with that on ScT but on TL neve

LinkS v2.0
11-06-2007, 05:03 PM
I actually hope they get raided

Zeus
11-06-2007, 07:41 PM

I love the way that on TL anytime someone airs a concern about the site they get told to put up or get lost. No site is perfect and its completely understandable that someone would want to remain a member of the site but not approve of the way it is run. Why dont you try to explain the motivation behind this decision?... I suspect the reason you dont is because that would involve admitting that the TL sysops only really care about making money and that this is one area of the site where you probably have very little input.

Defy
11-06-2007, 07:48 PM

I love the way that on TL anytime someone airs a concern about the site they get told to put up or get lost. No site is perfect and its completely understandable that someone would want to remain a member of the site but not approve of the way it is run. Why dont you try to explain the motivation behind this decision?... I suspect the reason you dont is because that would involve admitting that the TL sysops only really care about making money and that this is one area of the site where you probably have very little input.

QFT! Some people are complaining/b*tching, sure.. others are pretty indifferent, and the rest of us are just concerned.

Those who cannot handle criticism do not deserve a position with power. Besides, if it weren't for the MEMBERS... there would be no torrent site in the first place.

kingrob
11-06-2007, 09:07 PM

i agree with you there if this thread was airing concerns i would reply to that in the right manner but read the pole it is not a concern thread it is bashing tl
and my post was in reply to a i wish i could delete my account post in this thread if ppl want there accounts deleted they can pm me when ever they want and i will do it
as to explaining what we do at tl well thats the thing the sysops own the site and i might not agree with every thing they do but they do not have to explain it to anyone it is a simple you can put up with there choices or leave the site

to

m8 all i can say is your one of the few ppl in this world i would not piss on if you were on fire wishing for any site to be raided just makes you the scum of the earth

nikmash232
11-06-2007, 09:10 PM

i agree with you there if this thread was airing concerns i would reply to that in the right manner but read the pole it is not a concern thread it is bashing tl
and my post was in reply to a i wish i could delete my account post in this thread if ppl want there accounts deleted they can pm me when ever they want and i will do it
as to explaining what we do at tl well thats the thing the sysops own the site and i might not agree with every thing they do but they do not have to explain it to anyone it is a simple you can put up with there choices or leave the site

to

m8 all i can say is your one of the few ppl in this world i would not piss on if you were on fire wishing for any site to be raided just makes you the scum of the earth

but kingrob do u know why they are accepting money?

kingrob
11-06-2007, 09:23 PM
i have already said that in another post here
vip accounts have been about on tl for 3 years nothing has changed
the only change is invites are closed

Tokeman
11-06-2007, 10:25 PM
i have already said that in another post here
vip accounts have been about on tl for 3 years nothing has changed
the only change is invites are closed

which means the only way in is to PAY.
I think the question is, why not close it entirely, why even leave the option to buy your way in? It makes no sense, only dollars, and it makes a lot of users very uncomfortable. At least before you only opened signups publicly for a day or so, this is basically saying, if you have money, all are welcome! Very insecure attitude in this day and age.

Tiraspol
11-06-2007, 10:26 PM
Well...I can understand why...i Mean the service that they GIVE US FOR FREE....I mean...its not THAT bad...even though its not really SHARING then...but BUYING FOR CHEAP.

LinkS v2.0
11-06-2007, 10:33 PM
Well...I can understand why...i Mean the service that they GIVE US FOR FREE....I mean...its not THAT bad...even though its not really SHARING then...but BUYING FOR CHEAP.

Last time I checked its the users uploading bandwidth.
We are not forcing them by gunpoint to keep the site running.

Tokeman
11-06-2007, 10:34 PM
Tiraspol, they still can get donations and sell VIP to current members, that isn't what is being discussed here. They are allowing anyone to sign up, if they pay for VIP. Why disable invites, if you are just going to let any schmuk in the door who is willing to pay?

misledhope
11-07-2007, 07:23 AM
Whoever deleted my account after my previous post, thank you honestly. It is what i wanted.
I wasn't really using it anyways and had no need for it.

kooftspc11
11-07-2007, 08:16 AM
Whoever deleted my account after my previous post, thank you honestly. It is what i wanted.

smarmy sons of bitches!!

zizo85
11-07-2007, 09:13 AM
there are alot of trackers do that:cry:
as we all know
never pay for file sharing
:fst:

misledhope
11-07-2007, 09:47 AM

smarmy sons of bitches!!

no i was being serious not sarcastic i had tried to delete it myself

kooftspc11
11-07-2007, 09:53 AM
smarmy sons of bitches!!

no i was being serious not sarcastic i had tried to delete it myself

i know i believe you

and kingrob is a crappy crappy speller.

chillincool
11-09-2007, 12:05 AM
He spells better than your mom.

kooftspc11
11-09-2007, 06:54 AM
He spells better than your mom.

lol that doesnt say much. a hot dog could probably spell better than my mom considering she barely speaks english.

kingrob, on the other hand, spells like a 4th grader...and im assuming he DOES know how to speak english. so i suppose that the reality of the matter is that ur point is fallacious seeing as how you cannot really compare the two

apples and oranges my friend

apples

and

oranges

:)

Fibre
11-10-2007, 05:45 AM
TL make a killing off VIPs. Not to mention the fact they launder money through that web hosting company ;)

pone44
11-10-2007, 06:09 AM
Anyone who wishes that is-hmn-not gon even say!:shutup:

p1r4t3
11-10-2007, 07:07 AM
well its their site, and their uploaders and peers have no problem with it. I thinks its gay too, but it doesnt matter. If u have a problem with it, gtfo. U could always hope that they get raided or whatever, but would u seriously want another torrent site going down?

every site that goes down is a failure for us. Doesnt matter what they do, its still a torrent site. And apparently its one of the largest.

Also the more these large sites go down, the more smaller sites crop up in their place, and u can always expect one of those to belong to them. So, if u like use them, or leave it be. Its upto the siteops to chose what happens to the site, we always dont know whats going on behinf the screens. Maybe they do need money?

But hoping that a torrent site go down , is just stabbing the community in the back. I wanna say it again.

Dont like it?
Move on

angryghost
11-10-2007, 07:34 AM
just for being that low the riaa is gona come take em down now

p1r4t3
11-10-2007, 08:01 AM
just for being that low the riaa is gona come take em down now

:ghey:

kingrob
11-10-2007, 12:40 PM
update

after talks with the owners
they have decided to close vip as well as sign ups and invites for good

as of now there is no way for anyone to join tl

we are now also tracking ip changes and we will be banning any user thought to be trading there account

NEO

misledhope
11-10-2007, 01:16 PM
update

we are now also tracking ip changes and we will be banning any user thought to be trading there account

NEO

Good call.

p1r4t3
11-10-2007, 01:39 PM
update

NEO

Hope this move hasnt come too late

usersec
11-10-2007, 03:37 PM
update

NEO

Good call.

maybe for those who are in but for those who want to get in I am not sure so :=)