PDA

View Full Version : Ath.cx And Windows Xp

chalkmongoose
07-16-2003, 03:56 AM
Not for anything important mind you, but I like seeing all the fun XP features, like primary DNS suffix. Say I got (and I do have) shellcreatives.ath.cx.
Now I slapped that as my primary DNS suffix, installed a dynamic DNS updater, and setup up WiFi to use static IP addresses. With all that in mind, do I HAVE to install a goddamn web server, or can I type in localhost.shellcreatives.ath.cx and connect to my shared folder, which just so happens to also be my Kazaa shared folder...

shn
07-16-2003, 06:14 AM
Try being a lot more decisive in regard to your question then maybe we can help you better.

Xilo
07-16-2003, 06:35 AM
Yes, you can at least setup a simple IIS and enable browsing option ;)

shn
07-16-2003, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by chalkmongoose@15 July 2003 - 21:56
Not for anything important mind you, but I like seeing all the fun XP features, like primary DNS suffix. Say I got (and I do have) shellcreatives.ath.cx.
Now I slapped that as my primary DNS suffix, installed a dynamic DNS updater, and setup up WiFi to use static IP addresses. With all that in mindshellcreatives.ath.cx, do I HAVE to install a goddamn web server, or can I type in localhost. and connect to my shared folder, which just so happens to also be my Kazaa shared folder...
try this http://localhost:1214

:unsure:

Cl1mh4224rd
07-16-2003, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by chalkmongoose@16 July 2003 - 04:56
With all that in mind, do I HAVE to install a goddamn web server, or can I type in localhost.shellcreatives.ath.cx and connect to my shared folder, which just so happens to also be my Kazaa shared folder...
Ummm... Just because you own a domain that's hosted somewhere doesn't mean your computer itself suddenly becomes a webserver just by using the address of your hosted website...

shn
07-16-2003, 10:22 AM
I dont think he has a web host. Thats a free sub domain from http://www.dyndns.org/ that he is talking about. dyndns.org allows you to have one of their sub domains provided you have it redirected to an ip address. dyndns.org is not a web hosting company last I checked. :unsure: They provide domain registration, dynamic dns services, free sub domains and redirections, etc.

chalkmongoose
07-16-2003, 11:38 AM
Oh well. I guess I'll configure Apache. Thanks for the help.

Cl1mh4224rd
07-17-2003, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by shn@16 July 2003 - 11:22
I dont think he has a web host. Thats a free sub domain from http://www.dyndns.org/ that he is talking about. dyndns.org allows you to have one of their sub domains provided you have it redirected to an ip address. dyndns.org is not a web hosting company last I checked. :unsure: They provide domain registration, dynamic dns services, free sub domains and redirections, etc.
Ohhh... Well, let me rephrase that then.

Just owning a domain name does not suddenly turn your computer into a webserver, even if the DNS entry points to said computer. Without a web server running, you'll probably just get a "connection refused" error.

Also, there's no need for the "localhost." prefix if you set the domain name to point to your own IP.