PDA

View Full Version : WGA strike! will this hurt tv trackers?

ADELA
11-05-2007, 07:32 PM
well im sure alot of you already know that the WGA (Writers Guild of America's ) has gone on strike. last time they went on strike it lasted 5 months. alot of us can remember the bad tv shows of 1988!

my question is what affect does everyone think this will have on trackers like bitmetv or tvtorrents? imagine no fresh torrents for uploaders to up. already all late night shows will go into reruns, by feb. Current prime-time shows will likely run out of fresh episodes. that would mean no lost! reality show would be the only thing fresh to really download. that means more flava of love and i love new york (eww)!

could some of these trackers last 5 months or maybe more with no lost, heroes, 2 and a half men, csi whatever,etc etc etc?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21570821/

Tokeman
11-05-2007, 07:38 PM
bitmetv will be fine. there is plenty of older content to browse, not to mention, season DVD's are released all the time. Yup, bitmetv is not going anywhere, new shows or not.

Daniel
11-05-2007, 07:50 PM
First off, all TV trackers also deal heavily with season packs or series packs so an important part of each tracker is used for older stuff anyway. Furthermore, do you know the number of produced projects or abandoned series that have episodes left to air? If worst came to be true, there'd be weeks of stuff to use - maybe not the series we have come forward to watching but something indeed.

Skiz
11-05-2007, 07:52 PM
No. This won't affect most television at all. Shows are created and filmed months, sometimes years in advance.

The shows that you'll see impacted are things such as Leno, Letterman, the View, etc.

Defy
11-05-2007, 08:00 PM
"The strike is the first walkout by writers since 1988. That work stoppage lasted 22 weeks and cost the industry more than $500 million."

The industries OBVIOUSLY have the money. They need to just give those writers their contracts, a little more dough, and then both need to STFU so I can sit down and enjoy my television programs in peace. :happy:

blackbird
11-05-2007, 08:08 PM
wga strike and what it means to us

http://filmonic.com/the-wga-strike-and-what-it-means-to-us/

:shifty:

Daniel
11-05-2007, 08:17 PM
No. This won't affect most television at all. Shows are created and filmed months, sometimes years in advance.
That's not necessarily true. Most full season shows (20+ episodes) are filmed in advance, sure, but they're only ahead a few weeks. Some shows, take Smallville for example because that's one of the shows I've read this about, are even writing and filming a possible cliffhanger if those strikes would make a continuation of the season impossible. Then you'd have a couple of full season shows shortened to 10-15 episodes with most likely shoddy writing, hasty plots and a big turn-off for a final episode that shouldn't have been there at all.

I think it's a real concern that the viewer will be directly affected, but it won't really hurt the TV trackers all that much because they have other stuff to bridge the time.

djkamikaze
11-05-2007, 08:53 PM
yes, this will hit scripted shows soon... I know some programs are only 3-5 episodes ahead of the current week's episode. even if the strike only lasts 1 month, it will take time to get production caught up and we would see them running out of new episodes in december for most shows. Thankfully, I've got entire series-packs I haven't seen yet already downloaded.

sfpavel
11-05-2007, 08:55 PM
lol. no more movies and tv-eps for us :rofl:

Skiz
11-05-2007, 08:59 PM
That's not necessarily true. Most full season shows (20+ episodes) are filmed in advance, sure, but they're only ahead a few weeks. Some shows, take Smallville for example because that's one of the shows I've read this about, are even writing and filming a possible cliffhanger if those strikes would make a continuation of the season impossible. Then you'd have a couple of full season shows shortened to 10-15 episodes with most likely shoddy writing, hasty plots and a big turn-off for a final episode that shouldn't have been there at all.

I think it's a real concern that the viewer will be directly affected, but it won't really hurt the TV trackers all that much because they have other stuff to bridge the time.

Some are filmed later than others, but scripts are written well in advance. Long before casting, location selection, and filming.

IceTee
11-05-2007, 09:06 PM
wga strike and what it means to us

http://filmonic.com/the-wga-strike-and-what-it-means-to-us/

That link says it all.
Thanks ;)

Daniel
11-05-2007, 09:08 PM
Yes but here's the thing. Not all shows immediately get full season pickups, instead the networks order - lets say - 13 episodes and will extend that order if ratings warrant it or if they're in need for more episodes for another reason. That is true for probably all new shows and a good part of established ones too.

Another part of the problem are late revisions of the scripts or the whole show even. 24 is legendary for stuff like that, in the past few years their writers have been doing crazy things even when they were already in production. It's unfortunately not as simple as "look, we have a full season pickup and all scripts we need".

misledhope
11-05-2007, 09:08 PM
if anything this should increase traffic on tv trackers, after the new eps that they have ready have aired and they start playing reruns constantly there will be more demand for old shows that people didnt see

djkamikaze
11-05-2007, 11:28 PM
Some are filmed later than others, but scripts are written well in advance. Long before casting, location selection, and filming they could have a whole season's worth of scripts, but most scripted US shows will still have to shut down prduction, since most or many of the other unions will NOT cross the picket lines. I even saw a report by a driver who said his union's members would not be crossing the picket lines to make deliveries to the studios. Just about every trade involved is represented by a union, so most will probably honor the writer's guild strike (unfortunately)

Daniel
11-08-2007, 01:12 AM
Just found a rather complete list of shows and its current status: The TV Grid (http://www.latimes.com/business/la-striketvgrid-html,0,7606966.htmlstory?coll=la-home-center).

Desperate Housewives, Grey's Anatomy, Ugly Betty, Boston Legal, Lost, Pushing Daisies, Men in Trees, Dirty Sexy Money, Brothers & Sisters, CSI Miami, Criminal Minds, Moonlight, Law & Order SVU, Medium, 30 Rock, Friday Night Lights, Scrubs, Gossip Girl, Supernatural, Smallville, 24, Back to You, K-Ville, Law & Order CI, Nip/Tuck, The Riches, Dirt and Rescue Me are likely to be affected if the strike will continue for some time.

That's an overwhelmingly long list and it gets even worse as there has been talk about, for example, delaying the airing of Lost until 2009 if they cannot get a full season filmed in time.