PDA

View Full Version : How The Hell Is An E-book Made

MetroStars
07-16-2003, 09:39 PM
I just want 2 know how is an e-book is made ..

slammy_dunken
07-16-2003, 10:24 PM
Um, you get the actual book, write it out on Microsoft Word or Acrobat, and save it as .doc or .pdf.

leonidas
07-16-2003, 10:25 PM
with a computer I guess my clever friend. :ph34r:

MetroStars
07-16-2003, 10:36 PM
your tellling me sum 1 will copy a full book.. fuck that would take years

3rd gen noob
07-16-2003, 10:49 PM
what about using an ocr (optical character recognition) program for input, rather than a human?

i've heard they've improved a lot since they were introduced (ocr programs that is, not humans) :P

EnJoi
07-16-2003, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by 3rd gen noob@16 July 2003 - 23:49
what about using an ocr (optical character recognition) program for input, rather than a human?

i've heard they've improved a lot since they were introduced (ocr programs that is, not humans) :P
hhmm interesting

I.am
07-17-2003, 01:53 AM
Throwing my 2 cents in.

If its a big book then you can use the OCR like 3rd gen noob said to scan the book and convert them to text file eg: *.doc. You can convert them to *.pdf via Acrobat writer.

However there are e-book compilers that can create a standalone *.exe e-book which I think is great. Once you have the text ready on the computer you can just create one. No one needs an acrobat reader or anything to open those. I would say if you are creating one to distribute then make a stand-alone.

Darth Sushi
07-17-2003, 02:27 AM
Microsoft has a free add-on (WordRMR) for MS-Word to create MS-Reader (.LIT) ebooks. You can also download ReaderWorks Standard (http://www.overdrive.com/readerworks/) by OverDrive for free, which can also convert MS-Word and HTML files into .lit format. Both WordRMR and ReaderWorks support images with text. ReaderWorks Pro cost $119 big ones. Adobe Acrobat Professional can create the all familiar PDF files. http://www.pdf995.com/ has a couple of utilities that can convert any PDF file into a text or MS-Word documents. Once you have it in text, html, or word format you can convert it to your heart's desire. If you have a scanner, you can easily make PDFs or use an OCR proggy to convert any book into text.

leonidas
07-17-2003, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by MetroStars@16 July 2003 - 23:36
your tellling me sum 1 will copy a full book.. fuck that would take years
For an english Hooligan like you ?

Yes for sure......

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Keikan
07-22-2003, 06:43 AM
You ever heard of a scanner....? there's a scanner now that can read text of paper and make word processer text of it

pen_n_paper
07-22-2003, 12:25 PM
lol haven't you downloaded the books that have been scaned? I mean with the black sides and unreadable text? :P

Amarjit
07-30-2003, 11:56 AM
Yeah, it'd still take ages, having to turn the page after it's done, try doing that with LOTR! LOL!

If you create an eBook with Adobe Acrobat 6 Professional as .PDF, you can read it in Adobe eBook Reader or Adobe Reader/Acrobat.

imported_The__One
07-31-2003, 10:13 PM
Most e-book out there are "stolen" from the author, since he/she originally typed it up on a computer... (don't think typewriters are used much anymore :D )

Acecool
07-31-2003, 10:24 PM
Um, acrobat reader or something can read text from scanned photos even if they are tilted to sh****

Guillaume
07-31-2003, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by The__One@31 July 2003 - 23:13
Most e-book out there are "stolen" from the author, since he/she originally typed it up on a computer... (don't think typewriters are used much anymore :D )
Well, could you break into David Eddings' computer for me, cause I can't find any non corrupted file of "Domes of fire" and it's driving me nuts! :wacko: