PDA

View Full Version : Is this true

fantasyx72
11-09-2007, 09:12 PM
My friend been talking to young girls that he can get in trouble for and i was like what if you were talking to a cop one day on the internet .he says he'll just ask them our yyou a cop or involve in ant law enforcement,Do they have to say yes.so basically if you ask a dress up cops are you a cop do they have to say yes.

JPaul
11-09-2007, 09:18 PM
My friend been talking to young girls that he can get in trouble for and i was like what if you were talking to a cop one day on the internet .he says he'll just ask them our yyou a cop or involve in ant law enforcement,Do they have to say yes.so basically if you ask a dress up cops are you a cop do they have to say yes.

If you're talking about entrapment, that's only making someone do something that they would not have done, had you not enticed them into doing it.

That's why plain clothes vice cops cannot suggest sex for money, however they do not have to identify themselves. As soon as the target suggests it then they can be arrested.

The principle is the same for all law enforcement, otherwise there would be no point in undercover or plain clothes police.

fantasyx72
11-09-2007, 09:28 PM
so do they have to say yes if you ask them if they were a cop,,what about fraud or selling drugs

JPaul
11-09-2007, 09:31 PM
so do they have to say yes if you ask them if they were a cop,,what about fraud or selling drugs

No, they don't have to, ever. There would be no point otherwise.

What they can't do is initiate the crime, that's what entrapment is. When they suggest it.

Skiz
11-09-2007, 09:32 PM

If you're talking about entrapment, that's only making someone do something that they would not have done, had you not enticed them into doing it.

That's why plain clothes vice cops cannot suggest sex for money, however they do not have to identify themselves. As soon as the target suggests it then they can be arrested.

The principle is the same for all law enforcement, otherwise there would be no point in undercover or plain clothes police.

In most (if not all) states, the officer does not have to say yes, but they cannot say no.

Often times on COPS or silmilar shows, you'll see them weasel out of the question by saying things like, "Do I look like a cop?", etc.

kallieb
11-09-2007, 09:37 PM
Maybe your friend should be told to stop trying to shag young kids, rather than worry about entrapment. It's child abuse, and truly disgusting behaviour.

JPaul
11-09-2007, 09:37 PM
In the UK they can absolutely say no. Judges have expressed that oft times, making the point that to do otherwise would be madness. However only if they were specific officers doing a specific job. It's not a free for all.

I'm not sure what your source COPS is or to whom it relates.

kallieb
11-09-2007, 09:42 PM
Same in Canada, probably due to our shared common law history. Officers have tremendous latitude. Entrapment is certainly not permitted and there are limits to how close they can draw someone in; but officers can certainly act a part without conveying in any way that a trap is about to spring.

Skiz
11-09-2007, 09:55 PM
http://www.videojug.com/expertanswer/police-entrapment/do-undercover-police-have-to-identify-themselves-when-i-ask

Interesting.... :eyebrows:

Perhaps I too have fallen under the urban myth. :ph34r:

Defy
11-09-2007, 10:10 PM
If you are a good friend you'd advise your buddy to stop what he is doing. Obviously you're expressing your concern on the matter... act before it's too late.

JPaul
11-09-2007, 10:13 PM
If you are a good friend you'd advise your buddy to stop what he is doing. Obviously you're expressing your concern on the matter... act before it's too late.

Shut it, narc.

fantasyx72
11-09-2007, 10:24 PM
http://www.videojug.com/expertanswer/police-entrapment/do-undercover-police-have-to-identify-themselves-when-i-ask

Interesting.... :eyebrows:

Perhaps I too have fallen under the urban myth. :ph34r:lmao were the hell you find this this like close the whole question lmao thanks........

Actatoi
11-09-2007, 10:51 PM
They Are Everywhere