PDA

View Full Version : Disk Defrag

Babel
07-17-2003, 01:56 AM
Pleease Help me to get defrag going all the way. Before i've managed to get it going again by closing any background applications and/or disabling screensaver but, this this time even after running scandisk it won't play ball.
Grateful if someone can help, Babel

Xilo
07-17-2003, 02:15 AM
What app are you using to defrag with?

djflypson
07-17-2003, 02:26 AM
sometimes i have it too Babel, it even makes it impossible to defrag with Nortons' speed disk.

But deleting the contence of C:\WINDOWS\APPLOG helped a lot to me (WIN98).

- it's a hidden directory. If not visible adjust the options in your explorer under "view".

I always have the impression some program is still running, but i never found it. :D So i'm curious for any replies...

balamm
07-17-2003, 02:29 AM
Why, why, why, are you not defragging in safe mode ? NEver mind all the deleting, disabling, all the other nonsense. Hold the control button while you boot into safe mode and do your scandisks and defrags from there in all win9x systems.

Babel
07-17-2003, 02:57 AM
Xilo: I am using Win98's sys. tools.

djflypson: Thanx for applog tip very handy to know about, not just for defragging.

balamm: Like your thinking, might even have thought of that myself had i not been standing in the wrong queue...., " coulda sworn they said trains " ..... :D
Big Thankyou!!

djflypson
07-17-2003, 02:11 PM
I was not defragging in safe mode (yet), cause Balamm just told me !

THX

deeswift
07-17-2003, 08:50 PM
Forget Sys Tools. Get Raxco Perfect Disk v6.0 and do an offline defragment. Tick the options to defrag pagefile & system files.

DarthInsinuate
07-17-2003, 11:02 PM
i used to use the windows defragger, it had the same problem - to this day i never found out why

- i ended all tasks
- i cleaned out the startup section in the registry
- i ran in safe mode

my conclusion: microsoft defragger = SHIT

balamm
07-17-2003, 11:31 PM
Did you maybe stop to think that it's because windows is a running process?
All the drivers and applications that start invisibly are running processes which cannot and SHOULD not be defragged.
Starting windows in safe mode loads a minimum of drivers and programs so that none are writing to disk during a defrag.
NTFS can be defragged on the fly safely.
Fat32 cannot and some data loss is likely if you force it.

djflypson
11-02-2003, 10:58 PM
... strange, under safe mode (windows defrag) does not work for me. Closing all applications etc. (norton, offline) does. (?)

LTJBukem
11-02-2003, 11:18 PM
What happened there? :o

Did you just fall asleep for 3 and a half months? :lol:

This thread reminds what a w@nker Balamm could be sometimes. :P

:)

RPerry
11-02-2003, 11:57 PM
I have never heard anyone say they couldn't defrag in safe mode before, I never do any of my system maintainence in anything but. Are you sure you had it in safe mode ?

kurse
11-03-2003, 02:10 AM
Download Disk Fragment for Windows 2000, use this in Windows 98, 95 , not sure in xp

Its way faster!!!!

Mantis1
11-03-2003, 02:49 AM
Not sure if you tried this yet..... but you should run a diskcheck before you run any defrag program.