PDA

View Full Version : Opening Text Files

I.am
07-17-2003, 02:06 AM
Hello all,
Whenever I open a *.txt file I get this annoying error.

http://www.chinkii.com/uploads/album/misc/error.gif

For several days, I tried debugging the error but didnt help. I checked through the windows registry as well but didnt help at all.

Please advice.

Evil Gemini
07-17-2003, 02:13 AM
Hey thats strange ? does it do the same when you try open with another reader ??

maybe your notepad.exe is corrupt.

Xilo
07-17-2003, 02:18 AM
Hey, that reminds me of the trick you could do in any Windows OS below 2000...It was hillarious putting a folder on the desktop named pr0n at school and the tech guys not knowing when it was made or created and not being able to delete/access it :lol: According to Windows, the file/folder didn't even exist! :lol:

I.am
07-17-2003, 02:25 AM
Well notepad opens the file. Its just that it would give the error each time. It doesnt happen with other readers like WordPad so I am assuming its notepad. Any Suggestions?

I.am
07-17-2003, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by Xilo@16 July 2003 - 21:18
Hey, that reminds me of the trick you could do in any Windows OS below 2000...It was hillarious putting a folder on the desktop named pr0n at school and the tech guys not knowing when it was made or created and not being able to delete/access it :lol: According to Windows, the file/folder didn't even exist! :lol:
That is interesting...Wonder why windows used to do that <_<

Evil Gemini
07-17-2003, 06:28 AM
Just a guess, try right clicking on the file and go open with and direct it to the notepad.exe. It might have stuffed up :unsure:

I.am
07-17-2003, 07:30 AM
Nah ,didnt work. I tried associating it with Word Pad and then changing back to notepad , still same error.

Is there a way to reinstall just the notepad application? maybe that might fix. Seems to me some other prob.

Cl1mh4224rd
07-17-2003, 08:31 AM
What error is it giving you? Your image isn&#39;t showing up for me...

I.am
07-17-2003, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by Cl1mh4224rd@17 July 2003 - 03:31
What error is it giving you? Your image isn&#39;t showing up for me...
<_< it shows up here and for everyone else.

Well it gives this error

"Windows cannot find <path name of the file>. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To Search for a file, Click the Start Button, and then click Search"

The file opens but each time with this error.

Edit: Typo

Evil Gemini
07-17-2003, 09:27 AM
just done a Google and it come up with a few pages saying that its from a previous virus being removed. Just search up

"To Search for a file, Click the Start Button, and then click Search"

and youll find the pages. I was gonna go through them but theirs to much.

try fix it before it effects your other exe&#39;s

I.am
07-17-2003, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by neattairoski@17 July 2003 - 04:27
just done a Google and it come up with a few pages saying that its from a previous virus being removed. Just search up

"To Search for a file, Click the Start Button, and then click Search"

and youll find the pages. I was gonna go through them but theirs to much.

try fix it before it effects your other exe&#39;s
Nah I am pretty sure its not a virus.
The error message is a generic one it gives if you try opening the file from run using notepad. I have Mc Affee Pro all along and had Norton as well. There isnt any chance of viruses coming along.
But alas&#33; Anything can happen.

I did a search didnt find anywhere like that. Do you mind posting the link where you found about that virus, possibly affecting the notepad.

BTW, I have been getting this error only in notepad for about more than 2-3 months now. No other indication of file corruption anywhere else.