PDA

View Full Version : Seedbox Advice

WhiteWizard20
11-12-2007, 02:06 AM
Hi everyone,

I am going to get a seedbox sometime this week. Do any of you have advice or tips for which one would be good to get? I have a $50 - $100 budget and I came across these options.

1. www.hosting-ie.com
VPS Raptor 5 $50/month

2. www.vectoral.info
Spring Athlon $89.95/month

If you use something else that you think is good please let me know. I might also need some help setting this up if I have problems. Thanks again.

808state
11-12-2007, 02:20 AM
I've never used hosting-ie and I just got a vectoral. Like it so far.
I think the highest upload so far was 10.6MB/s :)

But I would recommend leaseweb. I used them for my first seedbox and they had it setup in less than 24 hours and everything was good. I'm not sure if it was as fast as vectoral, but it was still good speeds.

Artemis
11-12-2007, 02:38 AM
A dedicated server like the vectoral spring athlon is always going to be faster than a vps (shared solution) and vectorals speeds are the best, If you just want the server for a short period, i.e. one month then vectoral is definitely the way to go, one piece of advice if you are going to select a linux distro for the operating system for your server ( a Windows 2003 server license costs extra ) choose a Fedora core based distro, these are relatively simple to configure and are very secure by default.

WhiteWizard20
11-12-2007, 02:54 AM
Can I get unlimited bandwidth with Vectoral? I think you have to pay extra for that though.:unsure:

ibnahmed
11-12-2007, 02:59 AM
they dont offer unlimited bw for cheap plans nut u can add bandwidth
i think it is $50/TB crazy

i also think if u reach the limit they dont stop ur box, they are flexible

xr8
11-12-2007, 06:02 AM
they dont offer unlimited bw for cheap plans nut u can add bandwidth
i think it is $50/TB crazy

i also think if u reach the limit they dont stop ur box, they are flexible

Actually when you breach your limit, the charge you the extra on a per mb charge. When you significantly breach your limit, they pull your network cables out until you purchase additional bandwidth.

WhiteWizard20
11-17-2007, 03:57 PM
OK, I've got one and now I'm logged in. Now what do I do? It's just a blue screen.

kiosk
11-17-2007, 04:02 PM
learn how to install the apps to the server. try the search facility to help

JA
11-17-2007, 07:11 PM
OK, I've got one and now I'm logged in. Now what do I do? It's just a blue screen.
Install the programs, depends on the OS. If you picked windows its like a normal computer. If its linux, its a little more tricky but practically same concept.

Fibre
11-17-2007, 11:04 PM

Operating System???

WhiteWizard20
11-19-2007, 11:10 PM
Windows 2003 server web edition. I got Firefox and utorrent installed. Now I just need to figure out how to transfer the files from the server to my pc. I've heard of something like TorrentFlux?

Fibre
11-20-2007, 02:42 AM
Use Serv-U (FTP server) and FlashFXP (FTP client) to download from it.

TorrentFlux is a torrent client. I do not recommend using it. Stick with uTorrent.

JA
11-20-2007, 04:42 AM
Windows 2003 server web edition. I got Firefox and utorrent installed. Now I just need to figure out how to transfer the files from the server to my pc. I've heard of something like TorrentFlux?
Set up FTP you can transfer files via seedbox to your home computer with a program called Flash FXP, its one of the best out there atm..

SgtMajor
11-20-2007, 04:46 AM
Windows 2003 server web edition. I got Firefox and utorrent installed. Now I just need to figure out how to transfer the files from the server to my pc.

FileZilla - server on your server, client on your PC.

If you need help in setting it up, keep asking.

http://filezilla-project.org/

WhiteWizard20
11-23-2007, 04:31 PM
Thanks everyone. Thanks SgtMajor for the link. Nice tracker collection there Me<3You.

boobly
11-23-2007, 06:39 PM
I've also had good luck with bulletproof ftp. Its very easy to set up and speeds are fairly good.

donvito
11-23-2007, 07:48 PM
i dont want to hijack this thread but does anyone have any insight on why my ftp transfers to my home computer are slowish (like 250kb/s)?

donvito

SgtMajor
11-23-2007, 08:29 PM
i dont want to hijack this thread but does anyone have any insight on why my ftp transfers to my home computer are slowish (like 250kb/s)?

donvito

Single file transfers can be normal for that speed, 200-250 kb/s.

Make sure your server & client have enough connections open to max out your speed, and that you try to keep your FTPing to when you have more than 1 single file to transfer (many RAR files is always good of course).

Fibre
11-24-2007, 03:09 AM

donvito

What's the distance between you and the server?

jam0980tr
11-24-2007, 05:17 AM
1 Advice get a seedboxs frm where u are you will get good speed if u don't then your speed will suck sending data 2 you by ftp

if its just for buffer then you fine go for vectoral :P

WhiteWizard20
12-02-2007, 06:19 PM
OK, I've just downloaded Filezilla and FileZilla Server. I'm having problems trying to connect though.

SgtMajor
12-02-2007, 06:32 PM
OK, I've just downloaded Filezilla and FileZilla Server. I'm having problems trying to connect though.

Make sure you have the right ports selected for listening on, and that you client is set for that port.

Also check you have set a directory or drive on the server side that the user is connected to on connection.

gastro54
12-02-2007, 07:16 PM
Go for vectoral, you get real 100mbps

TriviuM
12-02-2007, 07:21 PM
as soon as i can invest in one, im gonna be given alot of buffered accounts away :D good luck with yours WhiteWizard20 (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/members/whitewizard20-178589)

WhiteWizard20
12-02-2007, 07:33 PM
Thanks TriviuM. SgtMajor, u mean I have to make sure the port is the same for the clients on my laptop pc and the client on my seedbox? Also, how do I set a directory or drive on the server side that the user is connected to on connection? Perhaps you could help me with this by PM or AIM? Thanks again SgtMajor. I'm checking my port connections now.

SgtMajor
12-02-2007, 07:56 PM
Yes, I'll do it in open so others can see the solutions if they come across this thread for some reason.

Firstly, server:

Filezilla Server Options/General Settings/Listen on theses ports/ (normally it's 21, but some ISPs shape for this port - so change it to 50021)

Then click on user settings, make sure your user (normally only you of course) is highlighted, click add, now choose where your torrents are, if you only have 1 drive - then just select C drive (or the drive where your torrents are of course), tick all the boxes to the right for RWDA & just below for CDLS, now click on the button for "Set as Home Dir" as this is where you first go when you connect to your server from your home PC.

Exit & restart the FTP server (not the seedbox - just the fliezilla FTP server)

Secondly client

Check the connections setting to ensure you have the same port as the one you selected above to listen to connect to.

You should now be able to quickly connect to your torrents drive on your seedbox.

LoKaLiRi
12-02-2007, 10:47 PM
thnx very much for this info :D