PDA

View Full Version : help a noob with his ratio!

madbeer
11-13-2007, 07:25 PM
Hay guys:

So I have been having problems keeping my ratio up at 1:1. I like downloading high-def content, but it seems that when I leave things to seed no one ever gets stuff off of me and it leaves my ratio at like 0.1-0.4. I try downloading torrents I don't even like that have more leechers then seeders, but usually when I'm done downloading the torrent and start to seed it, it seems no one else tries to leech from me.

I could upload my own content, but some trackers prohibit this on my measly cable internet connection ( I have no seed box).

So im thinking either comcast is fucking with my seeding, or I need to change by torrenting behavior. HALP!

Tokeman
11-13-2007, 07:37 PM
I use comcast, and I can tell you that forcing encryption in your client will help a bit. Also you may want to try partial seeding on those files you dont really want. Just download like 5-10 of the ~60 rar files of any given release. You will definatly get over a 1 ratio on each torrent doing this if you get on a new torrent early enough. Keep this up and you will have a nice buffer eventually, and will be able to dl whatever you want without having to worry about your overall ratio.

Polarbear
11-13-2007, 07:57 PM
if you like hd content i assume you have a up to date computer with a large enough hd.

partial seeding is a great way when you have a small hd and want to save disc space.

hd content often is only one mkv file - doesn't work here.

a torrent is snatched x times.

when you download only a small part, you can upload the small part x times.

when you dl the whole torrent you can upload much more data x times.

the most important thing: keep your torrents seeding (at least for a month on some trackers)

you might wanna try hdbits. they offer great hd content and have a bonus system which makes it quite easy to keep a good ratio - even with unpopular files.

Defy
11-13-2007, 08:35 PM
Comcast is throttling your uploads. True story. They use this thing called a "sandvine" (look it up). Basically you're being disabled from connecting to other peers when you attempt to upload. Not all Comcast users have this problem, but they're slowly and surely changing all of their areas to prevent file sharing.

I had to get rid of Comsuck... because unless you're using Linux there's very little, if nothing, that you can do about it. :(

madbeer
11-13-2007, 08:57 PM
you might wanna try hdbits. they offer great hd content and have a bonus system which makes it quite easy to keep a good ratio - even with unpopular files.

Ya I have heard good things about hdbits, but I have been checking their page everyday and registration is never open ;(

Thanks guys for the partial seeding advice

DannyGnXz
11-13-2007, 09:03 PM
Best bet would be to download as soon as its released... Thats when you have the most leechers. If you wait a few days or later, you may be to late as everyone who wanted it usually already has it.

Sometimes even downloading stuff you don't even like works, just look for torrents with a lot of leechers and jump on it.

awoeonip
11-14-2007, 01:23 AM

Ya I have heard good things about hdbits, but I have been checking their page everyday and registration is never open ;(

Thanks guys for the partial seeding advicehdbits is never open registration. it's kind of hard to get an invite there too because it's consistently at the user-cap. it's definitely the best HD site to have, but it may be easier for you to get into a site like bit-hdtv once they re-open invites. they have a bonus system as well that helps those with slower connections.

aysomc
11-14-2007, 02:36 AM
i guess im lucky since i use comcast and get no throttling, not too lucky though since comcast speeds suck balls.

start
11-14-2007, 02:52 AM
A good technique to seed with low speeds is pick up the latest torrents and download the first couple of files. Rather then downloading the whole 6gb file, you can seed 1gb for example.

napasnahestis
11-14-2007, 10:28 AM
RSS!!! discovered this 2 days ago: http://www.utorrent.com/rsstutorial.php

TriviuM
11-15-2007, 02:45 AM
yeah i herd that rss feeds were good for ratios

pone44
11-15-2007, 04:45 AM
u r dl'ing large files so with c-cast? better upload or something? they slow seeding down to 0! sucks-1 word FIOS!